Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
HELP!! Am working on a 99 right now and need some advice. Trying to get tophat pice off. We've undone the set screw on its side but are wondering if we need to somehow undo the inner dohickey that looks, to my hubby, like another screw possibly holding it on. Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Chris
It just has the one screw then it may be pressed on. A bearing puller might get it off. The inner dohickey is the shaft. I don't know if a little heat would be of any help or not - could make it worse.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Sorry about interrupting the Mowgli discussion, but this is an official request for help

Meet my EDISON,

He has several problems. First was the feed dogs hit the front side of the needle plate. I adjusted that so it doesn't happen, but either I caused another problem, or it was there but I didn't know it. I suspect it was there as when he was put in reverse he banged and clunked horribly. Now he only does that if I hold the stitch lever down.

When the stitch lever is lowered all the way to the bottom for maximum length stitches, the feed regulator (T2, Figs 30 and 32 ) in the 15-91 service manual is in the way of the cam next to it.
The arrow points to the interference point in the following pictures:

The cam smacks the sliding part of the regulator moving it out of the way.
In the first pic you can just barely see that the forward edge of the sliding part T2 has been beveled. I don't know if this is OEM or was done after the machine left the factory. If you look at the screws it's easy to see that some ham fisted bubba has been inside this thing.
Here's a front view:

And a bottom view:

This particular machine is closer to the Singer 15-91 than my other one so I suppose the instructions in the manual will work. But, I am not experienced enough to really understand all the ins and outs of what I'm reading.

So ~ I need some help. Just specifically what do I adjust to cure the interference problem and make sure the feed dogs are right too.

Joe
makes you wonder if someone dropped the machine on the balance wheel or something. Maybe read the bit 'never force it get a bigger hammer' during a repair. I believe I have one with a problem in that same area - I've kind of been going back and forth trying to decide if it is a parts machine or something that can be revived - meanwhile it is on the shelf waiting for it's moment I guess.... sure does turn nice.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
makes you wonder if someone dropped the machine on the balance wheel or something. Maybe read the bit 'never force it get a bigger hammer' during a repair. I believe I have one with a problem in that same area - I've kind of been going back and forth trying to decide if it is a parts machine or something that can be revived - meanwhile it is on the shelf waiting for it's moment I guess.... sure does turn nice.
I would just make it a parts machine or have it sit on shelf looking pretty- but that's me. Too many other interesting machines to play and sew with.

Sorry I'm no help.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Sorry....I just couldn't help myself!!

[/COLOR][/LEFT]
Oh now that was just ...... well kinda mean ...... I think I'm gonna cry.

Joe
Old 03-07-2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I suspect this machine was either dropped as you say, even though I don't see any signs of it, or it's been run ragged and worked on by someone who wasn't smarter than the machine. I'm thinking a cave man with a rock and a big club.
All the internal screws that you'd turn to adjust things are really buggered up.

I'm hoping to find a cure without resulting to brute force or euthanasia (parting out). I will continue to study the poor pictures in the manual, perhaps it will begin to make sense. I can only hope.

Joe
Old 03-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

Joe, you have permission to have a parts machine. Too bad it is such a pretty machine. It feels better when the parts machine is butt ugly. Maybe you can find an ugly one and combine them.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:49 PM

My parts machine is butt ugly because of all the rust. It is a 99 with a motorectomy and several other missing parts but am hopeful it can help save others' lives like organ donors.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
I would just make it a parts machine or have it sit on shelf looking pretty- but that's me. Too many other interesting machines to play and sew with. Sorry I'm no help.
Well, I've told these stories before, but let me tell you again. I was given a 99K that was rusted tight. I stripped it of all it's useable parts as I oiled it and cleaned it and finally broke it loose. Now I've got 99% of the parts cleaned and oiled and I'm down to giving it a kerosene flush bath and replacing three parts. I've removed all the parts I donated to other machines and returned them to Rusty, replacing them with new. When I'm finished it will be a functional machine again. I bought a 66-18 from Goodwill auction. It arrived with a busted motor, their fault, and a broken needle take-up lever. I didn't see this in the auction pics. I took it to my LSMG who sold me a 66-4 for parts. Well, I acquired the parts to fix both the 66-18 and the 66-4. I bought a 66-4 Treadle that had been electrified decades ago. The motor was gone, but the light, wiring block, and foot controller were there. The wiring was so brittle it was falling apart like raw spaghetti. I worked on replacing the missing parts to the treadle and even rewired the cord block, light and foot controller. During the acquisition of the replacement parts I found another treadle on CL that had a broken stand. Turns out the machine is a 9W-7. I cleaned the machine and tested it, works beautiful. And when the weather turns I'll get to the cabinet. So you see, I just can't part one out if it's at all fixable. I'm the same way with guns and cars and antique fans. I'm pushing 60. If I've learned anything in my life, it's patience. I'll get it figured out. If not now, then later. Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 03-07-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: spelling and text formation
Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
My parts machine is butt ugly because of all the rust. It is a 99 with a motorectomy and several other missing parts but am hopeful it can help save others' lives like organ donors.
Yup organ donors save lives. It's not like you are actually destroying a machine - you might help maybe 10 others to stay alive - maybe more. I figure somebody took apart a perfectly good machine to sell parts on Ebay.... so why not part out a perfectly terrible machine. I have learned a lot dis-assembling dead machines though. Nothing to lose Joe and you might get it back together some day Joe.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 PM

Miriam,
I'll stick it out a while. I'm in no hurry.

Chris,
Your donor 99K have an oscillating hook, a needle take-up lever assembly, a feed dog and screw you'd sell me???

Joe