Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-07-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict View Post
I saw this on CL and was wondering, who made this machine. I bit different then I have seen for the take up lever. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/atq/2872836014.html

I am speculating that it is a National or Domestic machine. Not able to access ISMACS website to do any research and was thinking I would stop by tonight and look at it.

The photo's sent by the seller are too big and cannot figure out how to resize a JPG.

So the take up lever is on the faceplate side and it swings in an arc. Has anyone seen that before?
Lisa, if you want to email me the pics I'll resize them for you...
Old 03-07-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
This man was very clever and frugal in repairing this treadle.
He also has a very nice Bernina.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxUj6...eature=related
I want that machine!!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict View Post
I saw this on CL and was wondering, who made this machine. I bit different then I have seen for the take up lever. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/atq/2872836014.html

I am speculating that it is a National or Domestic machine. Not able to access ISMACS website to do any research and was thinking I would stop by tonight and look at it.

The photo's sent by the seller are too big and cannot figure out how to resize a JPG.

So the take up lever is on the faceplate side and it swings in an arc. Has anyone seen that before?
Wasn't there a sewing company called American Sewing Company?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Wasn't there a sewing company called American Sewing Company?
Yes there was and there were Japanese machines called American later on. Try google.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Yes there was and there were Japanese machines called American later on. Try google.
That's what I'm doing now, googling American Sewing Machine Co.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I want that machine!!
Yeah, I want that machine too!! I get a kick that the paint brush is bent and brush part is left on. Don't get that one. But it is clever that he found something around the house for replacement and it works.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:17 PM

Sorry about interrupting the Mowgli discussion, but this is an official request for help

Meet my EDISON,

He has several problems. First was the feed dogs hit the front side of the needle plate. I adjusted that so it doesn't happen, but either I caused another problem, or it was there but I didn't know it. I suspect it was there as when he was put in reverse he banged and clunked horribly. Now he only does that if I hold the stitch lever down.

When the stitch lever is lowered all the way to the bottom for maximum length stitches, the feed regulator (T2, Figs 30 and 32 ) in the 15-91 service manual is in the way of the cam next to it.
The arrow points to the interference point in the following pictures:

The cam smacks the sliding part of the regulator moving it out of the way.
In the first pic you can just barely see that the forward edge of the sliding part T2 has been beveled. I don't know if this is OEM or was done after the machine left the factory. If you look at the screws it's easy to see that some ham fisted bubba has been inside this thing.
Here's a front view:

And a bottom view:

This particular machine is closer to the Singer 15-91 than my other one so I suppose the instructions in the manual will work. But, I am not experienced enough to really understand all the ins and outs of what I'm reading.

So ~ I need some help. Just specifically what do I adjust to cure the interference problem and make sure the feed dogs are right too.

Joe
Old 03-07-2012, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Somebody got the deal...the listing is gone.
The FW shown there isn't a centennial model at all! Great price for the machine though.

Sharon W.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:01 PM

HELP!! Am working on a 99 right now and need some advice. Trying to get tophat pice off. We've undone the set screw on its side but are wondering if we need to somehow undo the inner dohickey that looks, to my hubby, like another screw possibly holding it on. Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Chris
Old 03-07-2012, 05:08 PM

Sorry....I just couldn't help myself!!

Originally Posted by J Miller
(from another thread)
repeat this OUTLOUD ... "I am smarter than this machine." Repeat it until you believe it. Read The Manuals. Read them again. Follow the pictures. Do exactly how the instructions say.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Sorry about interrupting the Mowgli discussion, but this is an official request for help

Meet my EDISON,

He has several problems. First was the feed dogs hit the front side of the needle plate. I adjusted that so it doesn't happen, but either I caused another problem, or it was there but I didn't know it. I suspect it was there as when he was put in reverse he banged and clunked horribly. Now he only does that if I hold the stitch lever down.

When the stitch lever is lowered all the way to the bottom for maximum length stitches, the feed regulator (T2, Figs 30 and 32 ) in the 15-91 service manual is in the way of the cam next to it.
The arrow points to the interference point in the following pictures:

The cam smacks the sliding part of the regulator moving it out of the way.
In the first pic you can just barely see that the forward edge of the sliding part T2 has been beveled. I don't know if this is OEM or was done after the machine left the factory. If you look at the screws it's easy to see that some ham fisted bubba has been inside this thing.
Here's a front view:

And a bottom view:

This particular machine is closer to the Singer 15-91 than my other one so I suppose the instructions in the manual will work. But, I am not experienced enough to really understand all the ins and outs of what I'm reading.

So ~ I need some help. Just specifically what do I adjust to cure the interference problem and make sure the feed dogs are right too.

Joe