Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-05-2012, 08:21 PM

Candace,

Timing by definition is most anything that affects the stitching. Things like the timing of the hook to the needle, the distance of the hook to the needle, the needlebar height, the movement of the fabric by the feeddogs in relationship to the movement of the needle.
I think possibly at times we all are talking about different things. I was talking to Joe about needle to hook timing (which in the case of some machines is not adjustable) and needlebar height (which is usually adjustable).

I have certainly had to time machines. If you servey old time sewing machine repairmen they will tell you that
hook timing is very seldom off. All of the other things I listed should be considered first. And also always consider that a bad/ bent/ dull needle is to blame.

Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"
Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I've also received a White(straight stitch), 4 Singer 301's, a Morse, Pfaff and Singer 319 that had the timing out of whack. I must be a magnet because I've seen a lot of timing problems with machines I've repaired.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"
LOL I love this quote! I always tell myself take a deep breathe and slow down. That usually fixes the problem.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
LOL I love this quote! I always tell myself take a deep breathe and slow down. That usually fixes the problem.
~grin~ I just noticed the siggy too!! I'm still grinning over it....because I KNOW that's the majority of MY problems!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 PM

Charlee and Monica,

I started saying that probably ten years ago after a really frustrating time with a person I was teaching repair to. She wanted to tear every machine apart before finding the problem with it. I was just trying to convey that the machine is not always the problem, sometimes it's the operator.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
That's Nancy's machine... The pincushion would be less likely to leave pin rash than the normal "pin sleeve", but it's still going to wear on the decals I would think...like fabric does over the bed of the machine...just not as fast because it's not going to move as much.
I was thinking about putting one together to hide some existing pin rash...
Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 PM

Cathy, it amazes me that someone would question your advice! The experience you have is tenfold that of anyone else I know, including my local SMG (I actually don't know how he's been in business all these years...I've had to teach HIM a few things, and I'm a novice! LOL)
How many classes have you taken? Are they all Ray White classes?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 PM

Blushing!!! I've learned a lot sitting next to Cathy, that's for sure! Glad the tutorial was helpful. Nice to know I'm on the right track, Glenn. Looking forward to being on the board with such nice people! Laura

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Charlee,

Nurseknits (Laura) is awesome, not afraid to tackle anything. She has no formal sewing machine repair training, but is a natural born mechanic and is really good on wood repair.
I'm trying to get her on this board.

Cathy
Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I was thinking about putting one together to hide some existing pin rash...
If the pin rash is already there, then I'd sure do it! I'd put a piece of cardboard or template plastic in the bottom of it to keep the pins from going through to the machine.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Power Poster

As a seat of the pants technician, I had to learn to time a machine by trial and error. Mainly error. You just hit it on the sweet spot... Oh and here is a thing I put together a while back because we had so many people thinking their machine was out of timing. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...l-t147275.html If somebody knows more that that PLEASE add to it. Some of it may be gone or out of date.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
Blushing!!! I've learned a lot sitting next to Cathy, that's for sure! Glad the tutorial was helpful. Nice to know I'm on the right track, Glenn. Looking forward to being on the board with such nice people! Laura
YAY!!!! You're HERE!!! Welcome to the board Laura!!