Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-17-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I really like your Command Center. We’ve set my wife up with a similar layout in an 8x7 area that used to be our small living room (13x18) and dining room (10x10.5), only, hers is electric. We simply call it the “Sweat Shop”, since that’s what we called her spare bedroom sewing area for years. It got too small, so we moved her work area out into the largest part of the house. She still stores her fabric in a spare bedroom. Her U-shaped command center has a Singer 401A and a 301A, each in cabinets, and an 8-foot long table that holds her Singer Serger, White Embroidery machine, thread tower, and ironing board on it. It works well for her. Several portables live under the table waiting for a road trip outside of the home. Her sweat shop now has 27 machines including 4 cabinets and 3 treadles in it. The rest of the house (bedrooms and bathrooms) contains the other 15 machines and 3 cabinets.

I’m trying to figure out how to fit a straight-leg Singer treadle into the Sweat Shop herd, so that I can treadle my Singer 319W and other Singer heads that I have. I want a setup like Nancy has, but with a slightly different stand. I have a couple of Singer 328 heads too, so I may have to get one of them limbered up.

CD in Oklahoma
CD, A"sweat shop"...poor woman!

On the Singer 328, the belt hits an area where it exits from machine that is near the bobbin winder. Nancy's machine, Singer 319w, is a better design for treadling. Don't understand why Singer designed the 328 the way they did and still made it optional for treadle. In my opinion, it was a very poor design from Singer.

Your wife's area does sound very nice with all those machines! Lucky lady!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:46 PM

I spent the afternoon cleaning my Singer 201 bobbin case and race area.
If anyone is afraid to tackle this job, don't be. It's an extremely easy job to do! I recommend following Rain's excellent tutorial on removal and installing of the hook, case, and race. It does help to have that little silver Singer screwdriver that he recommends for use in removal and installing of the hook. Link to Rain's blog:http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/ho...bbin-case.html
Here is a picture of my very filthy race just after removing the case, and the after cleaning of the race.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]320627[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]320628[/ATTACH]

These photos were taken before I was able to remove the one screw from the feed dogs. So, this job can be done without removing those items, like Rain states in his tutorial. I did remove the feed dogs and plate later after finding the correct screw bit.
Attached Thumbnails img_4182.jpg   img_4183.jpg  

Last edited by vintagemotif; 03-17-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:21 PM

Miriam, How did you ever get a FW for $25.00??! I've looked for them on craigslist and the closest I came to getting one I could afford to get was recently in Greenwood. But they had another guy that was coming to look at it first. Of course he got it. I'd love to find one even twice that price! It would be fun trying to get it to working again.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
Miriam, How did you ever get a FW for $25.00??! I've looked for them on craigslist and the closest I came to getting one I could afford to get was recently in Greenwood. But they had another guy that was coming to look at it first. Of course he got it. I'd love to find one even twice that price! It would be fun trying to get it to working again.
Well, it ain't a purty one that's for sure. It is missing parts too - jury is still out on if it will cost too much to fix or end up for parts.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:50 AM
Power Poster

anybody live in Dayton?
http://dayton.craigslist.org/clt/2904447942.html
Old 03-18-2012, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
What a deal!!!!!!

Nancy
Old 03-18-2012, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
I got that also from my 201. Cathy adjusted the bobbin area just a bit the other night to improve that situation. The FMQ on the 201 still isn't as pretty as the 15.
You know this surprises me? I always heard the 201 was the 'finest machine' Singer made. It surprises me that it doesn't do a good job with FM. I have to agree with Monica about the 15, though. I use my 15-88 exclusively for FM when I am doing a Quilt as you Go quilt top. I wonder if what Cathy said about skipping stitches with the 319w if it weren't timed correctly could be the problem with the 201's you and Sharon are trying to use? Maybe, not because the 201 is a horizontal hook, and the 319w is a vertical hook?

Monica, those photos of the 201 being cleaned are cool, but with the 319w I had to put back together and time - there was nothing left on the bar it attaches to! I had everything off, including the hook/race, the whole bobbin assembly. All you saw when you looked under the machine was a bar where everything had been! So scary looking! I should have taken photos too, but I was too stressed out about getting it all back together! I have to admit it was a pretty cool learning experience!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 03-18-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:44 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]320701[/ATTACH]Here are my Singer 31's the neighbor brought up and dumped off in hubby's garage. Sorry, I have not had time to clean them up. They were electrified, darn! I need the belt wheel so I can use them as treadles in my storage unit! The newer one is a 1925 31-20. The older one has the serial number rubbed off, so I don't know its age, but it is interesting because it has a sewing machine shop tag on it from being serviced at one time - the address on the tag is from where one of our local shops was originally on 'P' street! That shop has not been there for about 30 - 40 years - it is in a different location and they just celebrated their 50th year of business!

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails singer-31s-before.jpg  

Last edited by BoJangles; 03-18-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:54 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]320702[/ATTACH]Here also is the Minnesota H my hubby and FIL picked up for $20 bucks at a yard sale a couple weeks ago. It got put in my storage unit, and my bad! It hasn't been cleaned up yet either. I guess, this starts to happen when you have about 50 machines! I will get these last 3 cleaned up when it stops raining! I need a slide plate. I have tried searching with no luck. Anyway have a Minnesota H they are parting out?

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails minnesota-h-before.jpg  

Last edited by BoJangles; 03-18-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:04 AM

Ok you guys, I have joined the 'things have to go' for my machine cabinets club! I decided my new Pfaff treadle, Chrysta, did not look good in my sewing room where no one saw her! So I emptied out my very large curio cabinet. DH posted it on Craigslist on Friday. It sold yesterday! Now sitting where that thing use to sit is my Pfaff treadle looking very pretty. I love it! She will be much easier than that curio cabinet to keep clean! That curio cabinet was too big for my entry area anyway! Actually, I think the whole entry, great room look much better! DH didn't care - all the 'stuff' in the curio were my things!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 03-18-2012 at 06:08 AM.