Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-17-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Nancy,

Congratulations on fixing your Singer 319W!

It is amazing how sometimes we are forced into learning. Thank God for manuals, yahoo group websites, blogs, and photos of machines that can be so easily found these days on the internet. Makes life so much easier than before internet.

Nancy, You can now put yourself into the ranks of those that have timed a machine. This is a great accomplishment!
And must have made you feel wonderful! I know it does for me when I have made a discovery and have learned.

Life is all about learning and sharing! Glad to read that you are enjoying your Singer 319w!
Thank you Monica, I am pretty proud of myself as I am not a mechanic or mechanically inclined at all! Yes, I will have to tell Marcus what he did 'for' me one day!

Nancy
Old 03-17-2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Monica if you didn't have to modify the 328, why is there a big hole in the back of your machine? And, where is the belt on the right side? I can only see the belt on the left side? I don't even see a hole for the belt to go into on the right side? What am I missing here?

I agree with you, that I just like to treadle the machines; and, it is a workout if done very long! Last night while I was making those pillow shams, I was treadling like a fool to get done before I had to go over to watch Marcus for a couple hours. I wanted to take the shams with me as my DIL just decided to use the quilt I made him last summer. I could feel the burning in my legs after a while, especially when going down the long and short sides of the sham, which I do twice to re-inforce the french seams! Those ladies that treadled all day long had to have strong legs; and, I bet they were in pretty good shape too!

Nancy

There is a large opening on side of machine from where the side plate was removed, but no large hole in back of machine. Is that the big hole you are referring too? Here are a series of photos showing machine front with plug in before removal, removed plug and side plate, front of machine in treadle, and side of machine with treadle belt. This is more detail than what the manual shows.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]320558[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]320559[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]320561[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]320560[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2012-03-17-11.29.38-am.png   img_4180.jpg   screen-shot-2012-03-17-11.20.28-am.png   screen-shot-2012-03-17-11.36.33-am.png  
Old 03-17-2012, 11:43 AM

There is a large opening on side of machine from where the side plate was removed, but no large hole in back of machine. Is that the big hole you are referring too? Here are a series of photos showing machine front with plug in before removal, removed plug and side plate, front of machine in treadle, and side of machine with treadle belt. This is more detail than what the manual shows.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]320558[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]320559[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]320561[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]320560[/ATTACH]
Ok now I understand, you had to remove that plate in order to get the belt on. I can now see the right side of the belt too. Do you have to leave the plate off in order to treadle that machine. It is a really cool looking machine, does it do more than zig zag? I am not familiar with the 328, but it is a neat looking machine. I like the 319 because it has the built in decorative stitches and it takes cams - so the decorative stitching is pretty limitless. Thank you for explaining and showing us the 328 in treadle!

Nancy

Oh and what you refer to as the side, I was referring to as the back; but, of course you are right it truly is the side or maybe the 'end' of the machine.

Ok looking back, I can see you have done a couple decorative stitches other than zig zag; and, it looks like it opens up for cams?

Last edited by BoJangles; 03-17-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t170748.html
quite a few links and info
and this is a repair manual - if you can follow directions I think you should be able to figure this out from the info on here: http://www.tfsr.org/ look for the repair manual then look for tensions - really a good one.
Thank you very much.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Nancy, the 328 takes the same exact discs/cams as the 319. It lacks the ability to combine stitches like the 319 and has a drop in bobbin. But, it takes regular 15 x 1 needles. Maybe it's a machine you should have since you already own the cams:>
Old 03-17-2012, 01:28 PM

Joe,
I have what my husband calls my "command center" ....
I really like your Command Center. We’ve set my wife up with a similar layout in an 8x7 area that used to be our small living room (13x18) and dining room (10x10.5), only, hers is electric. We simply call it the “Sweat Shop”, since that’s what we called her spare bedroom sewing area for years. It got too small, so we moved her work area out into the largest part of the house. She still stores her fabric in a spare bedroom. Her U-shaped command center has a Singer 401A and a 301A, each in cabinets, and an 8-foot long table that holds her Singer Serger, White Embroidery machine, thread tower, and ironing board on it. It works well for her. Several portables live under the table waiting for a road trip outside of the home. Her sweat shop now has 27 machines including 4 cabinets and 3 treadles in it. The rest of the house (bedrooms and bathrooms) contains the other 15 machines and 3 cabinets.

I’m trying to figure out how to fit a straight-leg Singer treadle into the Sweat Shop herd, so that I can treadle my Singer 319W and other Singer heads that I have. I want a setup like Nancy has, but with a slightly different stand. I have a couple of Singer 328 heads too, so I may have to get one of them limbered up.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 03-17-2012, 02:18 PM

Is anyone else having trouble with the link that comes in the email, not taking one to the correct message? Its been going to the newest message and I have to hunt for the message that I wanted.
Sharon W.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
Is anyone else having trouble with the link that comes in the email, not taking one to the correct message? Its been going to the newest message and I have to hunt for the message that I wanted.
Sharon W.
I have the same problem - I have to remember where I left off... sometimes it is pages ago.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have the same problem - I have to remember where I left off... sometimes it is pages ago.
Thank you for answering my question Miriam.
Sharon
Old 03-17-2012, 02:58 PM

Mine does the same. Have to remember where I left off. Or write the page number down.