Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-23-2012, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Oh Sharon, I do wish you could make the visit!!!! I wish Texas wasn't so far away too.
Monica,
Thank you! I knew someone would understand! My brother lives in Dublin,CA.
Sharon
Old 02-23-2012, 10:38 PM

Sharon,

Dublin is practically next door to Monica. Sounds like the perfect trip.

Cathy

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
Monica,
Sharon
Old 02-23-2012, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
Monica,
Sharon
Sharon, Your brother lives next door! Well, almost! You should make this trip!
Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 PM

I just finished paper piecing my Connecticut star for the 50 fabulous star BOM tonight. I'm using my Singer 201 for the PP project. I LOVE that machine! It treadles so smoothly, and the machine is so quiet and smooth. I could treadle with that machine for hours.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt View Post
I have a beautiful and smooth running Kenmore machine, I have tried to date it but with no luck. I would appriciate any help. The Serial # is 0003701 No letter. Model # is 158.18011. Thank you. It has about 40 discs, and many attachments. I love using it.

Patti
Patti, there is a Yahoo Group for Vintage Kenmores (think it is actually call "Old Kenmores". I get emails most every day and someone there can probably date your machine for you. I have a Kenmore in cabinet sitting in my garage waiting for a cleanup and another one waiting at my sister's to be picked up. It was the machine I learned to sew on as a teenager!! Hope this helps you. Carolyn
Old 02-24-2012, 01:35 AM

Default Turquoise Universal

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Jan, do the decals survive the kerosene soak and come out in such nice condition? As soon as the garage warms up, I'm soaking parts of the Redeye, but can I soak it all? I didn't think so.

e machiners - will a belt that too tight stop the motor? I had the motor rewired on my turquoise Universal and bought a new belt. It seemed small and the machine sewed a few stitches and quit. I took off the belt and the motor worked. I tried the old belt, but it's in bad shape so I couldn't tell anything. I'm thinking a cogged belt that just fits will be better. On top of that I have no manual and haven't figured out the combination of settings to get straight stitching or the built in decorative stitches. Not an easy machine to thread, but I'm sure I have that correct.
irishrose, I was just thinking about you!! I'm the one who is getting my Mother's Turq Universal and I believe it was you who wanted a copy of the manual. The machine is still at my Brother's house and I will email him and get him to mail me the manual. I will PM you when I get it. I can't wait to get the Universal here but it's about 2 hours away and I have to wait until my grandson can go with me in his truck. The cabinet is stuffed full of stuff...my mom SAVED everything (unless my Dad threw it out. LOL) so I'm anxious to go thru all the drawers. My Mom also had about 4 boxes of stuff she had saved. It will be a treasure hunt, for sure.

If you don't get a PM from me in about a week, PM me...I'm getting really bad with remembering things...although I do write notes to myself!! LOL Carolyn

Last edited by Nanamoms; 02-24-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Jan, do the decals survive the kerosene soak and come out in such nice condition? As soon as the garage warms up, I'm soaking parts of the Redeye, but can I soak it all? I didn't think so.

e machiners - will a belt that too tight stop the motor? I had the motor rewired on my turquoise Universal and bought a new belt. It seemed small and the machine sewed a few stitches and quit. I took off the belt and the motor worked. I tried the old belt, but it's in bad shape so I couldn't tell anything. I'm thinking a cogged belt that just fits will be better. On top of that I have no manual and haven't figured out the combination of settings to get straight stitching or the built in decorative stitches. Not an easy machine to thread, but I'm sure I have that correct.
sew classic has info how to put a belt on - check where she sells the belts on her site
Old 02-24-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
I was given this Singer 127 as a boat anchor and I decided to practice cleaning and restoring on it. There were some kind of mud nesting bugs that had half flilled the face insides and all across the arm of the machine. It was rusted solid on the inside.
Well I have it as good as I can get it. She is still missing a front slide bobbin plate, shuttle and bobbin and in the cleaning her bobbin winder broke. She is going into storage until I decide what to do with her, but she is clean and turns easily now. Maybe she just needs a new home, too.

Texas Jan
OK Jan now I am inspired! My DH brought home a Minnesota H treadle yesterday that he picked up for $20 while he and his Dad were ought and about! The treadle is not in really bad shape, a little veneer missing as usual and a wheel missing on the treadle, but the machine looks like the before of your machine! I looked at it and thought, geeze, do I want to even try to tackle this one? I have restored plenty of machines, but not without damaging their decals - so I am going to try again because of you! I am not sure whether I should thank you or scream at you for giving me another 'job' to do! I guess I will wait until I am done and see how it came out! Then I may hug you!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-24-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Hollyann View Post
That did not hurt any of the decals?
No it didn't damage the decals. I have been told to cover the decals with vaseline before soaking if you think they are too fragile. I never scrub the decals when cleaning with kerosene.

Texas Jan
Old 02-24-2012, 07:46 AM

[QUOTE=irishrose;5002982]Jan, do the decals survive the kerosene soak and come out in such nice condition? As soon as the garage warms up, I'm soaking parts of the Redeye, but can I soak it all? I didn't think so.

I can't guarantee, but cover them with vaseline while soaking, then carefull wipe the vaseline away. I sat it in kerosene where it was up to the bed (and it did get wet) and then turned it face down and soaked it a day that way, then turned it wheel end down for a day. This one was just trash, so I had nothing to loose. I'd pour kerosene inside everytime I turned it and covered it back up with a big towel to keep evaporation down. I have storage building I can soak stuff in, so it isn't attached to the house.

Texas Jan