Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-26-2012, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Miriam isn't it fun to learn about our relatives! I think most of my relatives were upstanding citizens except one great-great-great? Uncle who was hanged for stealing a horse! Hummmmmm, I wonder if that is what started my obsession with horses!

Nancy
Now that would be DH side of the family - there are some REAL characters there.... it's a wonder my kids are fairly normal.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:08 AM

Bobbins; The Dritz Class 15 bobbins in the plastic box of 10 as sold by JoAnns are junk. The the sides are not parallel and they hang up on any of the bobbin winders that use the little tab to shut stop them.

I've found a number of variations of both Class 66 and Class 15 bobbins. From different thicknesses, both classes, to different curvatures of the sides on the 66s, to sides that should be straight but have a step down, class 15 plastic bobbins.

It's best to buy from a reputable source.

Cases;
I've been getting cases from my local sewing machine shop. He usually charges 20 bucks for them. Other than that I don't know of a source.
I've also been contemplating building my own. I have enough I could use for patterns.

Sewing Machine Base:
Saw a picture of a sewing machine mounted on a slab of wood. It looked as if it was cut out just so the machine would fit flush to the surface.
Then there were four legs that held it up. Couldn't tell how the legs were attached to the base though.
Something like that might be easy to fabricate.

Joe
Old 02-26-2012, 07:33 AM

Yes, it is. A honking big Pfaff 31. The decals on this one are very simple lines around the bed; I think it's a later machine.
Miz Johnny, is your Pfaff treadle a class 15 model?

Nancy
Old 02-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Bobbins; The Dritz Class 15 bobbins in the plastic box of 10 as sold by JoAnns are junk. The the sides are not parallel and they hang up on any of the bobbin winders that use the little tab to shut stop them.

I've found a number of variations of both Class 66 and Class 15 bobbins. From different thicknesses, both classes, to different curvatures of the sides on the 66s, to sides that should be straight but have a step down, class 15 plastic bobbins.

It's best to buy from a reputable source.

Cases;
I've been getting cases from my local sewing machine shop. He usually charges 20 bucks for them. Other than that I don't know of a source.
I've also been contemplating building my own. I have enough I could use for patterns.

Sewing Machine Base:
Saw a picture of a sewing machine mounted on a slab of wood. It looked as if it was cut out just so the machine would fit flush to the surface.
Then there were four legs that held it up. Couldn't tell how the legs were attached to the base though.
Something like that might be easy to fabricate.

Joe
I'm thinking Glenn makes some very nice ones.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:53 AM

Go to htp://treadleon.net Then scroll down to wood shop and they have plans for these machines.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:44 AM

I would have no problem doing that, but we are talking a 4 hour trip, which I'd do in a heart beat, but this week is just booked solid for me! I don't want to buy the machine, and not be able to get it. Besides, the fact that I don't trust anyone to try to haul it! I don't want the machine nor cabinet damaged and most people have no clue how to haul something like that treadle. They say they will deliver, but I am just too anal to take that chance - I want to pick it up myself or at least know who ever picks it up knows its worth!

Nancy
Nancy, I wish I was traveling over that way this weekend, but my son has lots of activities here at home. Otherwise, I would get that machine for you. It's about a half hour drive in one direction, but I'm sometimes close to Oakland to visit the in-laws...just this weekend we aren't.

I agree with pay with credit card over the phone. I do hope you are headed to Oakland today!

It's a beautiful machine!! The chrysanthemum decals reminds me of the Japanese love for chrysanthemums, used in art work, fabrics, and festival. That may be a clue as to why a "clone 15". Germans may have been intrigued with the Japanese use of chrysanthemums. I like to speculate a lot, makes for interesting stories!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:17 PM

Default Case for vintage machines

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Go to htp://treadleon.net Then scroll down to wood shop and they have plans for these machines.
Here is a case I made for one of my 66's. The treadleon instructions are very good.
Attached Thumbnails case.jpg  
Old 02-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

Here is a cool blog https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1...5bbf5028589d1b - info about painting a machine.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:28 PM

I actually got out the Kenmore model 84 last night and did a bit of stitching! I love that machine!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Here is a cool blog https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1...5bbf5028589d1b - info about painting a machine.
Miriam, I couldn't open your link...