Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-25-2012, 06:14 PM

Miz Johnny, is your Pfaff treadle a class 15 model?

Nancy
Old 02-25-2012, 06:17 PM

Nancy, you could always buy it via credit card on the phone and then pick it up. Of course, that's buying it sight unseen, but it may be the only way to go?
Old 02-25-2012, 06:30 PM

So glad you are doiing this. It is really needed. Just this week, I bought a Model 99 Singer. Your posts are always so informative and good for all of us. Keep up the good work. We sure will keep you busy. Oh yes, why are some bobbins, allegedly for the featherweights too thick to work well? Is there a bigger bobbin case? Thanks again.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:34 PM

I bought theModel 99 Singer and it needs to be cleaned for sure. Isn't it sad that when you pay for it, there isn't enough money to pay someone to clean it. It was sitting all alone in the basement of a thrift shop. It was in the 1930s writing desk with the rounded front drawers. One drawer even has an ink well. The seat with it has storage in it. There were 3 sets of attachments, a zig zagger and 3 buttonholers. I am still taking inventory and cleaning them. Can't wait to get the desk refinished so I can start sewing. The 99 doesn't work well without a case or support of some kind. The desk is small and cute. We brought it home from Illinois in the trunk of our Impala. Just barely fit. The seat went in the back seat. You could haul a pony in the trunk of an Impala.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DonnaQuilts View Post
So glad you are doiing this. It is really needed. Just this week, I bought a Model 99 Singer. Your posts are always so informative and good for all of us. Keep up the good work. We sure will keep you busy. Oh yes, why are some bobbins, allegedly for the featherweights too thick to work well? Is there a bigger bobbin case? Thanks again.
You need to get your FW bobbins from Cathy or sew-classic - WM is not a good place - make some nice ear rings out of the junk ones. The bobbin case for a FW will only fit FW or 301. There is a Bernina bobbin case very close in size but they do not interchange. You will like that Singer 99. Cute and sews nice. Finding one in a table is a real bonus!!! Usually they come in a case. It should be pretty easy to clean - look up Muv's video.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:31 PM

Nancy how your dog doing? Kathie
Old 02-26-2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S. View Post
Nancy how your dog doing? Kathie
Mowgli is a tough little guy! He is getting around really good mostly on 3 legs, sometimes he uses that fractured leg, but he shouldn't. The surgeon who may or may not do surgery on him has not called back. He travels all over the state for these surgeries and sets up appointments at the clinics as needed. Mowgli is healing nicely, it is the possible bone chips that have my vet concerned. I will call this week if we don't hear back soon, but since the surgeon got the x-rays over a week ago, I am thinking Mowgli is not in need of surgery or we'd have heard back! My vet, who knows how paranoid I am with my animals, wants this particular surgeon to work on Mowgli if he requires surgery since he is a 4lb Chihuahua!

Thanks for asking.

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-26-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
You need to get your FW bobbins from Cathy or sew-classic - WM is not a good place - make some nice ear rings out of the junk ones. The bobbin case for a FW will only fit FW or 301. There is a Bernina bobbin case very close in size but they do not interchange. You will like that Singer 99. Cute and sews nice. Finding one in a table is a real bonus!!! Usually they come in a case. It should be pretty easy to clean - look up Muv's video.
A second word of caution, the class 66 bobbins you can get at Walmart, Joannes, etc., won't work on your bobbin winders for the Model 66 or 99's either. They just won't seat on the bobbin winder post!

Nancy
Old 02-26-2012, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaQuilts View Post
I bought theModel 99 Singer and it needs to be cleaned for sure. Isn't it sad that when you pay for it, there isn't enough money to pay someone to clean it. It was sitting all alone in the basement of a thrift shop. It was in the 1930s writing desk with the rounded front drawers. One drawer even has an ink well. The seat with it has storage in it. There were 3 sets of attachments, a zig zagger and 3 buttonholers. I am still taking inventory and cleaning them. Can't wait to get the desk refinished so I can start sewing. The 99 doesn't work well without a case or support of some kind. The desk is small and cute. We brought it home from Illinois in the trunk of our Impala. Just barely fit. The seat went in the back seat. You could haul a pony in the trunk of an Impala.
Donna, you are right the 99, Singer Spartan - which is a 99, and the Model 66 all need to be sitting in a case or cabinet. They are not built with even legs to sit alone so you can sew on them like you could most machines. I think that is kind of a bummer as I have 3 Model 66's and a Spartan that all need a case, frame or something! My DH keeps saying he will built me one, but nothing yet!

Nancy
Old 02-26-2012, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Looking back, I doubt it if was really her treadle. Grandma didn't have much of her own. I bet it came with Uncle Fred when she married him. My Grandfather died when my Dad was a small child. Grandma was stuck in Arkansas with a small child and a baby and no job available. She sold all she owned, barely bought train tickets and moved in with her FIL & Aunt Bertha. Grandma got a job teaching a good ways away. She boarded out by the month and would come home to see her babies. Then she had to go back to work. Eventually she got a place in town where she taught & they could all be together. Then when Dad was in his 20s she married my Grandfather's brother, Uncle Fred. Then she taught in the one room school down the road. I believe she married Fred so he would have someone to take care of him and keep the neighbors from talking. I guess that's how things were in the 1930s. Yes she was very wonderful.
Miriam isn't it fun to learn about our relatives! I think most of my relatives were upstanding citizens except one great-great-great? Uncle who was hanged for stealing a horse! Hummmmmm, I wonder if that is what started my obsession with horses!

Nancy