Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-27-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
If you can do what I usually do is buy the machines in the cities that I have buddies in get them to pick them up and if they come down my way or I go there I will get them then. I have even had a few items travel around the country on a relay before they have gotten to me like my Singer storefront lighted signs. It only took 8 months to get them but it was worth it and only cost me a case of beer.

Billy
Great to hear from you, Billy! And yeah, I was thinking that myself about road tripping to Rochester. I travel from florida to Maine at least twice a year, via 81/blue ridge.. NOT 95... you know, I'll try to remember to POST here next time when i'm going... so if anyone has any machines they need transported... I can give em a 'lift'! kimmers
Old 10-27-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Well, here's some shots of my little Davis VF that arrived today. She's a MESS...my DH and I will work on cleaning her up as much as we can over the next few days. Some kind of gunk is just coated on her. Someone put a crappy motor on her some time in the distant past. But, she came with a.....shuttle!!! The prized boat shuttle!! And a bobbin. I am pleased about that. And everything moves smoothly, but needs cleaning and oiling extremely badly. She's a real project. Glad she came to us!!! We're up for it!!!
AWESOME!

Janice, Congrats on your new vintage machine. Can't tell if it's a boy or a girl yet...maybe a tomboy.

Looks like the junk on the machine might be the glaze all full of dirt and oil. I think this is a machine that just has to be cleaned to the point that all the junk is removed. Just do a test with oil to see if there are any decals. Most likely you will be stripping it down to the little bit of japan that is left on the machine and metal.

Maybe you should give this tomboy a heavy metal name. :)

Congrats on the attachments, way cool!

Looking forward to future pictures.
Like maybe, Steven Tyler???? LOL :D
Steven Tyler!! :D He wants me, ya know!! (He just doesn't know it yet...poor man!! :lol: )

HAHAhaaahhhaaa! I would go with the name Tyler. The machine looks like a Tyler or even a Stevie.

This machine has the look of sweet, smooth harshness; it will sew beautiful after cleaning, and getting acquainted and understanding it's quirks.
I just love those Davis VF. They are mechanical art!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
:thumbup: My 1948 FW named Baby goes to all my guild classes and the spring retreat! People always stop to "visit" with her and last year there were two more FW's at the retreat! This spring my "new" 1936 FW named "Daddy's Girl" (because my DH insisted that I buy it when he found it at an antique shop!) will be making the trip to the retreat with me!
Linda, I love that name....Daddy's Girl!!! Too cute!!
The name was actually suggested by someone here on the board. When I told DH the name he rolled his eyes. But he was smiling! :roll:
Old 10-27-2011, 08:29 AM

Janice - getting caught up here this morning! Steven Tyler is an awesome machine! Once that grunge is he is going to be a Rock Star in the vintage sewing machine world! :thumbup:
Old 10-27-2011, 08:58 AM

Billy, Glad to see you back in here man. Feel free to ignore my PM. I sent it when I had no idea you were ill. I've dove back into the shop with both feet to immerse myself in knowledge!

I have never seen so many treadles available in my area on CL. I personally don't want one, but I am a firm believer in enabling positive addictions. If you guys are interested, I can start posting links of stuff I'm seeing available. Lots of FW's around here too, but all very high priced.

I'm amazed at the people that post "antique" singer and have no description or pic or anything.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Janice - getting caught up here this morning! Steven Tyler is an awesome machine! Once that grunge is he is going to be a Rock Star in the vintage sewing machine world! :thumbup:
That is a nice Davis and I think it will clean up nicely indeed! I thought I found one here locally but it turns out to be an Eldredge instead, but is in a parlor cabinet. Needless to say it is coming home with me no mater what and for only $75 you can not argue.

Billy
Old 10-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Billy, Glad to see you back in here man. Feel free to ignore my PM. I sent it when I had no idea you were ill. I've dove back into the shop with both feet to immerse myself in knowledge!

I have never seen so many treadles available in my area on CL. I personally don't want one, but I am a firm believer in enabling positive addictions. If you guys are interested, I can start posting links of stuff I'm seeing available. Lots of FW's around here too, but all very high priced.

I'm amazed at the people that post "antique" singer and have no description or pic or anything.
Post away!!!!

Trust me if you all have sent me a PM I will get to them. I have like 5 or 6 pages of PM's that I have yet to get to but I am slowly trying to weed them down. So I am not ignoring anyone!

Billy
Old 10-27-2011, 09:47 AM

Well, I was wrong about all the machines in the area being sent to shopgoodwill.com. These have been listed several times and no one has reached the reserve price yet:
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8808723
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8782509

But - I stopped into the local Goodwill to look for candlesticks, didn't find them, but I saw a sewing machine cabinet. Opened it up and saw a really grubby looking plastic Singer 647. As I was closing the top, I look over and on the floor I spy something blue --- they missed a White Model 65, a J-A15. In a case with a couple of extra feet and a half dozen number 15 bobbins. I tried it out in the store-it runs smooth and quiet. The price? $13.99. The belt is like new - and the undersides are the cleanest I've seen in an old machine. It came home with me. So much for not buying any more machines!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-277879.jpe  
Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Well, I was wrong about all the machines in the area being sent to shopgoodwill.com. These have been listed several times and no one has reached the reserve price yet:
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8808723
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8782509

But - I stopped into the local Goodwill to look for candlesticks, didn't find them, but I saw a sewing machine cabinet. Opened it up and saw a really grubby looking plastic Singer 647. As I was closing the top, I look over and on the floor I spy something blue --- they missed a White Model 65, a J-A15. In a case with a couple of extra feet and a half dozen number 15 bobbins. I tried it out in the store-it runs smooth and quiet. The price? $13.99. The belt is like new - and the undersides are the cleanest I've seen in an old machine. It came home with me. So much for not buying any more machines!
Nice machine! :)

I don't get the thrift stores these days...around here they've all raised prices a LOT....when it stops being a bargin, I stop buying.... Our humane society store had a "modern" (read: "plastic" ) Brother, no power cord or foot pedal, for the incredibly low price of $60!! Mind you, you can get the same machine at Walmart for $89....complete!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Today I got another new machine, for free this time. The person who gave it to me said it was missing the bobbin case, but she must not have realized that this machine does not need a bobbin case. It's a Singer 247, and it runs perfectly. It's so odd that all the machines that I've paid money for need a little bit of tweaking to work properly, and this free one is clean and runs wonderfully. It does need bobbins though. Does anyone know if it takes a class 15 or a class 66? I have 15s in my house but I'd have to pick up some 66s.

Here is a photo. This is not my machine, but a photo I found online. It looks totally the same though.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-277903.jpe