Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-27-2011, 01:16 AM
Power Poster

I made a separate post on repairs. I also added to what I put up earlier. Someone needs to add info on dating the machines. It might be good to add any links I missed. I bet I posted some more than once. I just pulled stuff out of archive emails between my sister and me. It should keep people busy...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-163578-1.htm#4566890
Old 10-27-2011, 03:06 AM

Well I made a new topic for a WPA owned Singer 31-15 I picked up. I put it in the photo section, but still could not figure out how to tag it for VSMS. I looked at the "Add to topic list" tab at the top left after I posted it, but VSMS is not on the list. Hopefully someone can tag it. Here's a link for the time being:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-163581-1.htm#4567025

Steve
Old 10-27-2011, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I am going on a mystery quilting retreat in NH with my sister's next week. (There will be around 100 people total attending.) I've got my material all cut out (no clue what it will end up as, but hey, is a mystery!) Anyways, I am taking my featherweight for the first time.This was the original excuse I gave myself to buy it and so I thought I'd better spend some quality time with miss Daisy before we drive off on our trip. I don't know how I could have forgotten how nice she sews! And tonight for the first time I tried FMQ with my FW - and it came out beautifully! I'm not going to miss hauling the larger machines and worrying a the computer components. Sewing on this machine just kind of makes me smile. Anyone else bring older machines to retreats full of newer shinier models?
:thumbup: My 1948 FW named Baby goes to all my guild classes and the spring retreat! People always stop to "visit" with her and last year there were two more FW's at the retreat! This spring my "new" 1936 FW named "Daddy's Girl" (because my DH insisted that I buy it when he found it at an antique shop!) will be making the trip to the retreat with me!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Janis
Miriam, thanks for all of the information. I printed it off for future reference, and also some interesting reading. I really like learning about what to do with the vintage machines.
It's too bad there isn't a 'table of contents' for this site so we newbys would know where to look for certain information. It would be a job creating one, but helpful if one was made for some of the basic things we need to know how to do. Just a thought.....
I also want to say "thank you", Miriam. There is a wealth of information in those pages. Very much appreciated!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
YAY!! I'm so glad she got here!! I have no doubt that you will work wondrous magic on her!

And....just totally uncalled for on my part...but I'm EXTREMELY jealous of those attachments!! :lol: ;)
This is one I am going to follow with great anticipation (do you think you can post a picture or two as you progress with the cleaning/refurbishing?)!! I have an ancient machine here that is probably a lost cause and she looks kinda similar to yours in condition - so - I'm going to go with the premise that if you can do it so can I. This should be nothing less than phenomenal!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
It feels good to be tinkering around again! I tire out real easy but with plenty of naps in between the playtime helps out.

Billy
My man Job (Billy), it is really great to see you back. You had to lost all of your strength to gain it back, but you are forever in my prayers. Take it slow Job.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I am going on a mystery quilting retreat in NH with my sister's next week. (There will be around 100 people total attending.) I've got my material all cut out (no clue what it will end up as, but hey, is a mystery!) Anyways, I am taking my featherweight for the first time.This was the original excuse I gave myself to buy it and so I thought I'd better spend some quality time with miss Daisy before we drive off on our trip. I don't know how I could have forgotten how nice she sews! And tonight for the first time I tried FMQ with my FW - and it came out beautifully! I'm not going to miss hauling the larger machines and worrying a the computer components. Sewing on this machine just kind of makes me smile. Anyone else bring older machines to retreats full of newer shinier models?
I don't usually do well at retreats or group crafting sessions...I'm so busy visiting that I get absolutely NOTHING done!! :lol:

You'll post pictures for us? :) I hope you have the BEST time!
Charlee, I don't do well at any group setting, myself. My work- partner refers to me as Chatty-Cathy. I have to come home and accomplish anything that is suppose to be completed
Old 10-27-2011, 04:48 AM

Sewing on this machine just kind of makes me smile. Anyone else bring older machines to retreats full of newer shinier models?
Me! Me! Even my newest machine is vintage. The machines always get attention, and questions about why I use them instead of buying the 'latest and greatest' So I get a chance to wax eloquent on the virtues of vintage machines!
:lol: :lol:
Old 10-27-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Well, here's some shots of my little Davis VF that arrived today. She's a MESS...my DH and I will work on cleaning her up as much as we can over the next few days. Some kind of gunk is just coated on her. Someone put a crappy motor on her some time in the distant past. But, she came with a.....shuttle!!! The prized boat shuttle!! And a bobbin. I am pleased about that. And everything moves smoothly, but needs cleaning and oiling extremely badly. She's a real project. Glad she came to us!!! We're up for it!!!
I'm glad to see her up close and personal. She will be fine with a good spa treatment !!

Texas Jan
Old 10-27-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
It feels good to be tinkering around again! I tire out real easy but with plenty of naps in between the playtime helps out.

Billy
I am so happy when I see that you are up to posting on this board, and that you can enjoy a bit of "tinkering" now and again.