Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-16-2011, 09:17 AM

Needlecraft Model 142-B Automatic ZigZag I bought this on Craigs List in June? and replaced the belt and bobbin tire. It sews fine and is a cool, retro machine made in Japan and is a neat Vintage machine. Problem is, I have too many and I'm trying to thin the herd so I can stop getting the evil eye from hubby. It has some paint imperfections, has one bobbin spool holder missing(doesn't affect anything) and comes with a knee control for a table.

It's a HEAVY machine and if you want it for $30 (I have more in it in parts now than what I paid) you can come and get it. I won't ship because it would be upwards of $45 to do so. Unless you really want it!

I live in the Sacramento, CA area. You can PM me with any questions.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-272317.jpe  
Old 10-16-2011, 09:20 AM

What a cool old Kenmore!

Note...we THINK our hands are clean when we're sewing...look at the stains on the back of the machine that I assume are feeling for the presser bar lever! :)
Old 10-16-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by miriam
Do you know if the Vintage Singers had an edge foot? You Bernina owners probably know what I'm talking about. It's a skinny foot that has a guide on it that goes up against a seam, then it stitches just a few threads over from that. Where would I go to see if I could get one for a 66?
If the 66 is a regular short shank check with Jenny at Sew Classic - I've been wishing over on her site lately too.
You don't see triple posts very often. You are one talented poster! Anywho...I have heard of Sew Classic before, but I haven't been able to check out her site. Could you post the link? Also, I don't know if my 66 is a short shank or not. Does it say in the owner's manual?
If your 66 has a side clamp, then it will take regular short shank attachments. If it's a back clamp, you're limited.
Thanks Charlee. Please forgive my ignorance as I am a new VSM owner. I'm not sure what clamps are. Do you mean the screw that holds the feet on? That thing is on the side of the needle. There is a little lever on the back of the needle area that drops the foot off so you can put another one back on. When I remove the assembly to replace it with a walking foot, that screw is on the side. Does that help?

Also, the sew classic that everyone talks about, is that online or is it a brick and mortar shop somewhere?

Thank you.

Melissa
It's side clamping (or screw! ;) ) Sounds like it's got a modern foot assembly on it.

Sew Classic is an online shop...
Old 10-16-2011, 09:34 AM

What a cool old Kenmore!

Note...we THINK our hands are clean when we're sewing...look at the stains on the back of the machine that I assume are feeling for the presser bar lever! :)
Thank you - isn't it kind of neat? Oh I definitely noticed all the grime on the back, hahahaha, EWW right?! Lol* It's kind of funny the way this machine is all set up too, it's pretty inconvenient really! Are all old Kenmores like this? I talked to my Mom about it and she said that she grew up with one similar to this and she remembered Kenmore's always being very different from Singers.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:45 AM

melissa, here is the link for Sew-Classic. It's the hyphen that makes it different.
http://www.sew-classic.com/
Old 10-16-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Do you know if the Vintage Singers had an edge foot? You Bernina owners probably know what I'm talking about. It's a skinny foot that has a guide on it that goes up against a seam, then it stitches just a few threads over from that. Where would I go to see if I could get one for a 66?
If the 66 is a regular short shank check with Jenny at Sew Classic - I've been wishing over on her site lately too.
You don't see triple posts very often. You are one talented poster! Anywho...I have heard of Sew Classic before, but I haven't been able to check out her site. Could you post the link? Also, I don't know if my 66 is a short shank or not. Does it say in the owner's manual?
If your 66 has a side clamp, then it will take regular short shank attachments. If it's a back clamp, you're limited.
Thanks Charlee. Please forgive my ignorance as I am a new VSM owner. I'm not sure what clamps are. Do you mean the screw that holds the feet on? That thing is on the side of the needle. There is a little lever on the back of the needle area that drops the foot off so you can put another one back on. When I remove the assembly to replace it with a walking foot, that screw is on the side. Does that help?

Also, the sew classic that everyone talks about, is that online or is it a brick and mortar shop somewhere?

Thank you.

Melissa
If you go to www.thesewbox.com there is a page that talks about low/high shank with pictures. I think it also talks about back clamp feet.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:55 AM

I think I read somewhere on the vintage site that 15-91 and featherweight accessories were interchangeable. Can someone affirm or deny that for me please. Ann in TN
Old 10-16-2011, 10:13 AM

Hi, on page 531 I posted a pic of my Rose, shes missing the cover plate on the front and for the life of me I can't find one online to purchase. Grrrr. Has any one saw one for sale on line? Help! been looking off and on for almost a year. Thanks MisDixie
Old 10-16-2011, 10:46 AM

I need help again. Now that my 1945 Featherweight is on her way to me, I'm trying to help a friend find a machine for his girlfriend's birth year. Does anyone have a 1958 Featherweight they want to sell? If so, I can pass the info on to him and he can contact you. I'd need an e-mail address to give to him.
Thanks, Janis
Old 10-16-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
I think I read somewhere on the vintage site that 15-91 and featherweight accessories were interchangeable. Can someone affirm or deny that for me please. Ann in TN
Are you talking about the presser foot attachments? Yes, they're interchangable. :)