Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-07-2012, 02:30 PM

I am pooped. I'm supposed to be getting ready to move my daughter back from college and what do I do? Take apart two sewing machines. Yesterday, I disassembled the transmission/cogs and gears from my Viking as there were problems with the mechanism. Took me all day yesterday to get it right. Of course I thought, I'd better take apart the tensioner and make sure that' s fine and clean the motor, since I've already spent so much time on the machine.

Then today, I installed a bobbin retriever on my Elna Carina and thought, "you should really remove the motor and check the carbon brushes". So, off go all the belts, out comes the motor...took me several hours. I'm filthy, my fingers and hands are sore and I'm tired. But a good tired. Both machines are humming and ready to go. Me, I'm ready for a nap:>
Old 06-07-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Laura, that MW is so cute...is it 3/4? Love the "muscular" look to it!! Maybe it needs a guy's name???
Ohhh, if it's a guy sewing machine, maybe his base should be international orange or john deere green? I think I'll call him Hank....
Old 06-07-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Jon, congrats on the Davis Unique....cute machine. How did you know it was a Davis badge?
Janice,

Unique is a popular Davis badge sort of like Honeymoon. Davis just seems to have a style all their own and not difficult to distinguish between other models, especially with the square looking needle plate.

Jon
Old 06-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

It's industrial: good price too http://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/3063506236.html
Old 06-07-2012, 05:14 PM

HELP!!! Am working on the "Light Running New Home" e-machine. No manual. Have a plug for which I can find no place to plug it in. It has the female end and there appear to be no lonlely boys looking for a mate. I also have a flat spot in the pulley on the handwheel - that pulley appears to drive the motor. Thjis is in a cabinet which is knee operated and as far as i can see there is no male end there, either.
Serial # is HR424585

Last edited by chris_quilts; 06-07-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Janice,

Unique is a popular Davis badge sort of like Honeymoon. Davis just seems to have a style all their own and not difficult to distinguish between other models, especially with the square looking needle plate.

Jon
I agree with Jon Davis machines do have a look of their own. I have several badged Davis machine, Pathfinder and New Companion and a Davis. Diff ages of course but really like them and they sew really great. Jon, I really like you Unique machine. Skip
Old 06-07-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
HELP!!! Am working on the "Light Running New Home" e-machine. No manual. Have a plug for which I can find no place to plug it in. It has the female end and there appear to be no lonlely boys looking for a mate. I also have a flat spot in the pulley on the handwheel - that pulley appears to drive the motor. Thjis is in a cabinet which is knee operated and as far as i can see there is no male end there, either.
Serial # is HR424585
I have found where the plug goes but created another problem when machine was plugged in. The light blew and bulb blew off leaving just the metal piece in the socket. Also, found a manual on ISMACS which I printed off.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:55 PM

One more question. I have everything apart on the wiring now. Whoever played with it last had twisted on a steel colored wire to wrap around the posts. Is there any reason I can't strip off some more covering and use the copper like I do with a lamp? The addition of the other wire just made for more bulk. No wonder something got crossed. I will be wiring the power cord to pins 1 and 3 and the foot pedal to 1 and 2. That's how the generic diagram and 221 diagram show. I have no light wires to deal with, thank goodness. Wish me luck and thank you for your help.
Judy
Old 06-07-2012, 10:21 PM

Good luck. As long as wires from pin 1 doesn't touch pin 2 and pin 2 touch pin 3, your good. Keep the notch in the connectors down and a hex point must be up. Hard part is keeping the 3 connectors lined up and putting the plastic top back on without the connectors moving out of position. It always took me a while with my clumsy fingers, perhaps all it needs is a ladies touch.

Jon
Old 06-08-2012, 01:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
I have found where the plug goes but created another problem when machine was plugged in. The light blew and bulb blew off leaving just the metal piece in the socket. Also, found a manual on ISMACS which I printed off.
I am interested in what ever you say about this. I have 4 or 5 of those machines and haven't got a clue what to do with them.