Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-16-2011, 07:38 AM

Stupid question time! I was given a Singer, electric, and I found the sn G049713 on it. Don't know if it is an o or a zero. It has a potted motor. I can't get to the Singer site right now. Were there potted motors in 1910? If so then it is a model 44, if not then I have no idea what it is. Anybody know?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:57 AM

Woohoo! Just won a bid on ebay for a vintage Pfaff 332 for like $35 plus $25 shipping...sweeeeet. I had offered the seller $100 for it a few weeks ago and he wouldn't take it. Now, I guess I got a bargain:> My only other ebay, vintage machine purchase was a nightmare so I hope this one works out! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123#ht_7187wt_1142
Old 10-16-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Originally Posted by miriam
Do you know if the Vintage Singers had an edge foot? You Bernina owners probably know what I'm talking about. It's a skinny foot that has a guide on it that goes up against a seam, then it stitches just a few threads over from that. Where would I go to see if I could get one for a 66?
If the 66 is a regular short shank check with Jenny at Sew Classic - I've been wishing over on her site lately too.
You don't see triple posts very often. You are one talented poster! Anywho...I have heard of Sew Classic before, but I haven't been able to check out her site. Could you post the link? Also, I don't know if my 66 is a short shank or not. Does it say in the owner's manual?
If your 66 has a side clamp, then it will take regular short shank attachments. If it's a back clamp, you're limited.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Woohoo! Just won a bid on ebay for a vintage Pfaff 332 for like $35 plus $25 shipping...sweeeeet. I had offered the seller $100 for it a few weeks ago and he wouldn't take it. Now, I guess I got a bargain:> My only other ebay, vintage machine purchase was a nightmare so I hope this one works out! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123#ht_7187wt_1142
Nice!! Congrats on a good deal! :)
Old 10-16-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by miriam
Do you know if the Vintage Singers had an edge foot? You Bernina owners probably know what I'm talking about. It's a skinny foot that has a guide on it that goes up against a seam, then it stitches just a few threads over from that. Where would I go to see if I could get one for a 66?
If the 66 is a regular short shank check with Jenny at Sew Classic - I've been wishing over on her site lately too.
You don't see triple posts very often. You are one talented poster! Anywho...I have heard of Sew Classic before, but I haven't been able to check out her site. Could you post the link? Also, I don't know if my 66 is a short shank or not. Does it say in the owner's manual?
If your 66 has a side clamp, then it will take regular short shank attachments. If it's a back clamp, you're limited.
Thanks Charlee. Please forgive my ignorance as I am a new VSM owner. I'm not sure what clamps are. Do you mean the screw that holds the feet on? That thing is on the side of the needle. There is a little lever on the back of the needle area that drops the foot off so you can put another one back on. When I remove the assembly to replace it with a walking foot, that screw is on the side. Does that help?

Also, the sew classic that everyone talks about, is that online or is it a brick and mortar shop somewhere?

Thank you.

Melissa
Old 10-16-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Stupid question time! I was given a Singer, electric, and I found the sn G049713 on it. Don't know if it is an o or a zero. It has a potted motor. I can't get to the Singer site right now. Were there potted motors in 1910? If so then it is a model 44, if not then I have no idea what it is. Anybody know?
Photo? It will be a zero, but it looks as if there is a number missing? I suspect you have a model 15...is the tension on the front of the machine or on the faceplate? I'm not sure when the potted motors were introduced, but I doubt it was as early as 1910...they seem to be a 40's/50's production...
Old 10-16-2011, 08:49 AM

Also if it needs a new belt, where would be the best place to purchase one? Thanks again and again and ........Would anyone know how to tighten or change the belt on a Kenmore model 158.18030? Thanks
Old 10-16-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
I got the Wheeler Wilson 8 all cleaned up, but she needed a display box to show her off. I found a picture of a WW8 hand crank on line and sent the picture to Glenn. With a lot of pictures and lots of measurements, he made my little lady a beautiful throne to sit upon. Perhaps someday I will find a WW8 cabinet that I can afford, but she is perfectly content to be upright and well tended. Thanks again to Glenn for his beautiful workmanship !!

Texas Jan
WOW!!! That is a cool machine - it was cool before it was spic and span....I'm so impressed!!! :)
Old 10-16-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Look at my latest find. Glenn
Oh my goodness that machine is so beautiful. I have seen a few pictures of those hand painted machines and each time I'm stunned. What a great find. Gorgeous. I would LOVE to get my hands on something like that some day. ***jealous***

**Edited to Add** - Well, I assumed it was hand painted, is it? Did they do the flowers in decals? Decal or paint, it's GORGEOUS.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:13 AM

My friend gave me her sewing machine today. It's a bit of a monster really, but I think it's kind of cool. The previous owners of her house left it there, and my friend had wanted me to teach her to sew, but when I got to her house and she pulled this out, well, she discovered it was a little more than she'd thought! LOL* I understand, when I got my featherweight home I had to relearn how to sew again because the older machines are so different than the new ones, and could you image if you didn't even know how to thread a new machine? You'd be lost on one of these older ones. I STILL AM lost on these older machines!! :)

Anyhow, here's my new Monster - a Kenmore model 58 - ISMACS description of it cracked me up, "...looks more like a blender than a sewing machine..." and I agree. It's not really pretty and I doubt people lust after this machine, but for whatever reason I really like it! LOL*

The best part is it came with needles and one of my favorite little treasure to find...a box of attachments that obviously haven't been touched in a VERY long time. :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-272312.jpe   attachment-272313.jpe   attachment-272314.jpe