Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Hanging my head in absolute shame... I dragged home a couple sewing machines today.... One of them is pppppplastic. Oh for shame. It is a Genie. It is all there. I don't know why but it kind of spoke to me. Next I have to get it cleaned up & running I guess. What ever. plenty of time for that one. I found a PDF manual. Seems like it might be nice to haul around - not too bad for weight.

The other machine followed me home and we let it in the house... OH my! I've been watching FOREVER for a Singer 319. This one needs some TLC - it has a bad case of neglect. I need a manual for sure. I don't think I can figure it out with out one. WOW. I'm sure it is pretty under all that grunge. The table is
simply. drop. dead. beautiful. DH even admired this one. It had
a handful of attachments and yes the bobbin case is there. It
has a couple extra throat plates, too. I noticed it has an
internal belt and an external belt??? Wonder why? How hard is
it to get needles and bobbins?
I have a 319 and love it. It takes a 206X13 needle and different bobbin but they are not hard to find. Did you get the flat cams that come with it?
I had a 4 cams laying around but no cams came with the machine - a couple attachments, bobbin case with a bobbin, the machine and a VERY nice table. The machine needs a bit of TLC. She needs a belt, bobbin winder tire, cords, bobbins, cams and who knows what else. I think under all the dirt she is green. I printed out a manual and as soon as the printer cools off I'm going to print out a service manual. Maybe tomorrow I'll get some pics and get to clean her up. The cords are the worst I've seen - Even DH is fascinated with the machine. Will a FW cord work?
I can't remember if the FW cord will work or not. My machine is over in the sewing room and I will have to check. I know the foot peddle is wired into the machine then there is the other cord that looks like a FW cord but not sure if the prongs line up the same. If you have a FW or try your 301 and see.
The 401G cord is like the FW or 301 but one end of the 319 cord comes out the top rather than the sides.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:54 PM

I have a white Featherweight dated 1964 that I have listed for sale in the classifieds here on the board. .I had an interested buyer who passed because of the partially missing S (Singer logo). I was wondering if anyone knows where I might obtain one to replace it. It is attached with adhesive and looks like this:

Partially missing Singer logo
[ATTACH=CONFIG]275127[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-275074.jpe  
Old 10-21-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
I know someone posted this once...think I might have saved the info, but now that I want it, it's gone. LOL! Where can I find the size of needles for different machines? Looking for the 401A needle size, but want to laminate all the singer sizes with the machines and post it under my nose so I don't have to ask again, or each time I can't remember!! ;o(
I did it, and here it is again.

http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/needles/

But someone said that some of the info here is wrong. it was about how some needles are put in the machine. Here is the original posting.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-151831-1.htm

I hope this helps.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:26 PM

Now I need a little bit of information. What do I need to use to remove rust on some sewing machine feet attachments? Can they be sanded off with steel wool scouring pads like you use on pots and pans? HELP!!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janis
Originally Posted by sew wishful
I know someone posted this once...think I might have saved the info, but now that I want it, it's gone. LOL! Where can I find the size of needles for different machines? Looking for the 401A needle size, but want to laminate all the singer sizes with the machines and post it under my nose so I don't have to ask again, or each time I can't remember!! ;o(
I did it, and here it is again.

http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/needles/

But someone said that some of the info here is wrong. it was about how some needles are put in the machine. Here is the original posting.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-151831-1.htm

I hope this helps.
THANK YOU!!! I printed it out for future reference!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

Now I need a little bit of information. What do I need to use to remove rust on some sewing machine feet attachments? Can they be sanded off with steel wool scouring pads like you use on pots and pans? HELP!!
chrome cleaner
I have used sewing machine oil and some aluminum foil - it was on hand
Old 10-21-2011, 04:36 PM

chrome cleaner
OK, how do I use the oil and aluminum foil? Do I scrub the parts with the oil in the aluminum foil? I'm new at this.
I have some Brasso bras cleaner. OK it says for pewter, chrome, copper, and stainless so I could use it on the feet, I guess. Is it also OK to use on the vintage sewing machines, or would I be better off using something else on them?
Old 10-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

chrome cleaner
OK, how do I use the oil and aluminum foil? Do I scrub the parts with the oil in the aluminum foil? I'm new at this.
I have some Brasso bras cleaner. OK it says for pewter, chrome, copper, and stainless so I could use it on the feet, I guess. Is it also OK to use on the vintage sewing machines, or would I be better off using something else on them?
It should work.
I just used a drop or two of oil and then polished it with the foil.
It worked.
It wasn't heavy rust though.
Brasso might do the job.
I use some car wax on the machine but I'm not worried about decals.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:33 PM

Like you all don't know what a Redeye looks like, here is my new toy. She wasn't too dirty, so cleaned up pretty and dang it sews good.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-275129.jpe  
Old 10-21-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Like you all don't know what a Redeye looks like, here is my new toy. She wasn't too dirty, so cleaned up pretty and dang it sews good.
:lol: Yes, but there are Redeyes, and there are very nice Redeyes...your's falls into the later catagory! :)