Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-16-2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
The 27, 28 127 and 128 are all VS (vibrating shuttle) machines, as opposed to the rotary or oscillating shuttle...

Yep, sorry, temporary brain fade on what VS means!! LOL I went back and fixed my comment. I'm not really the village idiot!! :-)
Old 02-16-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Yep, sorry, temporary brain fade on what VS means!! LOL I went back and fixed my comment. I'm not really the village idiot!! :-)
Oh my gosh! I am so sorry if it sounded like I was implying that you were the village idiot! You are most certainly are FAR from that!!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Joe, I can answer your question this morning. Sorry, I had too many other projects/chats going last night to explain why I'm using a different material for a belt.

The leather belt that I was using hits my machine, Singer 328k, as it exits the machine (front by bobbin winder area). This rubbing caused wearing down of the belt. When I recently switch the machine from the straight-leg treadle to the standard cabinet/treadle there was a mark difference in the amount of wear. The belt was wearing down faster and lots of little bits of torn up leather were flying all over. I have another steel belt that I can use, but that would most likely make a groove into the machine and lots of little bits of steel would be all over the place too. (It may just be a good idea to run the steel belt just long enough to make a smooth semi-circular groove, talking out loud).

I have the very cheap aquarium hose which is soft enough to bend and give in that spot of contact; so, I went with that in hopes that the rubber will not break.

I also realized that I needed to around out and smooth the surface area of the contact spot with a file, which I did. As I stated before, why I didn't think of this filing before-I have no clue.

The very few folks that do treadle a Singer 328k, most of them have just cut out that area of metal on their machine where the belt hits. I don't like defacing the machine; plus, it was design that way in the first place, to be treadled or be e-machine ( poor design though).

So, I hope that answers your question on why I wanted something different than leather.
That answers my question perfectly. Thanks. I to would have carefully filed a grove for belt clearance. The painted it to match.

Joe
Old 02-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
That answers my question perfectly. Thanks. I to would have carefully filed a grove for belt clearance. The painted it to match.

Joe
I have seen groove filed in the machine and I have seen the wheel filed out a bit. I am thinking thinner belt. Martha says a spinning wheel belt might work fine without any filing.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:37 AM

Was going to go to the LSMG yesterday but I ran into a snag. The battery in my Pathfinder was DEAD. Yours truly had left the stupid dome light on a couple nights back and killed it. So on the way we stopped at O'Rielly Auto Parts and had them put it on the charger. It wasn't hurt so they were able to charge it up for me.

Then at the sewing shop I bought a case and a couple screws for my SEWMOR 404. While doing that I noticed he had two treadle bases sitting on the floor by the counter. One an older Singer, not sure what vintage but the belt shifter was a round hole rather than an oblong one. The other for different brand.
I asked him about it and he said he had a modern reproduction Singer treadle top in the back room. I know it's modern cos it's made from that crappy particle board. Looks decent though. We worked a deal and I walked out with a treadle base, case, screws and a new belt for C note.
I'm going to have to clean and de-rust the iron but that's no big deal. At least it's complete and nothings broken.
When I get done with it my Singer 9W-7will have a home until I get his treadle repaired. That may be a while as I've got to get someone to weld or braze the broken parts or find a replacement center section that matches and quite a bit of wood repair to do as well.

When we got home I stuck the SEWMOR in the case, plugged it in and tried it. It works and sews. Good. Now down to the basement to my work bench to be cleaned and oiled. The first thing I did was pull the needle (so I don't do a blood test ) then I pulled all the plates, motor, light, hand wheel, bobbin cover and needle cover off so I could oil and clean.
I looked at the needle through my Loop because it didn't look right. It was shorter than a 15x1 and marked "BOYE" 40-60. I compared it to a new 15x1 then to a 206x13, I was shorter than both. I don't know what it is. Somehow the machine was sewing with it.

Later today I'll get back to the cleaning.
I've got to go buy a bottle of TESTERS gloss black model paint. Gonna touch up a couple of chips on the paint.

Joe
Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have seen groove filed in the machine and I have seen the wheel filed out a bit. I am thinking thinner belt. Martha says a spinning wheel belt might work fine without any filing.
Most of the treadle belts I see now are 3/16" diameter. I've actually seen 1/4" and 5/16" advertised, but very seldom.

Joe
Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Was going to go to the LSMG yesterday but I ran into a snag. The battery in my Pathfinder was DEAD. Yours truly had left the stupid dome light on a couple nights back and killed it. So on the way we stopped at O'Rielly Auto Parts and had them put it on the charger. It wasn't hurt so they were able to charge it up for me.

Then at the sewing shop I bought a case and a couple screws for my SEWMOR 404. While doing that I noticed he had two treadle bases sitting on the floor by the counter. One an older Singer, not sure what vintage but the belt shifter was a round hole rather than an oblong one. The other for different brand.
I asked him about it and he said he had a modern reproduction Singer treadle top in the back room. I know it's modern cos it's made from that crappy particle board. Looks decent though. We worked a deal and I walked out with a treadle base, case, screws and a new belt for C note.
I'm going to have to clean and de-rust the iron but that's no big deal. At least it's complete and nothings broken.
When I get done with it my Singer 9W-7will have a home until I get his treadle repaired. That may be a while as I've got to get someone to weld or braze the broken parts or find a replacement center section that matches and quite a bit of wood repair to do as well.

When we got home I stuck the SEWMOR in the case, plugged it in and tried it. It works and sews. Good. Now down to the basement to my work bench to be cleaned and oiled. The first thing I did was pull the needle (so I don't do a blood test ) then I pulled all the plates, motor, light, hand wheel, bobbin cover and needle cover off so I could oil and clean.
I looked at the needle through my Loop because it didn't look right. It was shorter than a 15x1 and marked "BOYE" 40-60. I compared it to a new 15x1 then to a 206x13, I was shorter than both. I don't know what it is. Somehow the machine was sewing with it.

Later today I'll get back to the cleaning.
I've got to go buy a bottle of TESTERS gloss black model paint. Gonna touch up a couple of chips on the paint.

Joe
The first thing I did was pull the needle (so I don't do a blood test ) - in the same category as getting a vaccination isn't it...
Old 02-16-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Oh my gosh! I am so sorry if it sounded like I was implying that you were the village idiot! You are most certainly are FAR from that!!
That was very tongue in cheek!! You didn't imply anything of the sort.....and I certainly didn't take it that way!! LOL
Old 02-16-2012, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
That was very tongue in cheek!! You didn't imply anything of the sort.....and I certainly didn't take it that way!! LOL
WHEW!! Thanks J!! I know I sometimes don't quite come across the way I mean to!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:03 PM

Hi Everyone!

I posted a couple weeks ago about refurbishing a Singer 15-91. Well, I have finished all that and have re-done the wiring. She is shiny and the motor runs nicely, but I've got a mechanical issue and some stitching issues that I'm hoping you can help with.

The mechanical problem is that when I disengage the motor to wind a bobbin, the needle bar still runs most of the time, especially at full speed. Is that an issue with the washer behind the middle part of the wheel or something else?

As far as stitching, I *think* I've got two problems going on at once. First is that I suspect my bobbin case is worn out. When I insert it, it immediately flops over instead of the arm staying right at the notch. Am I correct in thinking that once the case is clicked into place, it should stay put rather than rotate??

My second problem is thread nests which I know is usually an upper tension issue. When I watch the shuttle during stitching, I can see the upper thread get caught on the bobbin case and wad up. I hope that once I get the loose bobbin case figured out, the thread nests will resolve or only require some tension adjusting. Does that sound plausible?

Thank you!
Carrie Ivey