Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]312505[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]312504[/ATTACH] I saw an ad on Craigslist for a Singer Sewing machine and sent an e-mail asking what the machine looked like. I got this back - just this - no note - nothing but this picture!Nancy
Nasty!!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom View Post
Is yours also a vs machine?
Yes, and it's a loud, vibrating beast.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:19 AM

Save her go now omg...white featherweight!! $40.00

please http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/hsh/2853113763.html

I wish I knew someone in that area

Last edited by justtrish; 02-16-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom View Post
Were the vs machines electric as well as people powered? And what size is a 128?

Yes, the 128 is a VS machine. I have one with Godzilla finish from late 40's, and it's electric. Your decals sound like La Vincedora, which was most common on that era 128s.

Last edited by jljack; 02-16-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Four of my machines wear leather, two wear steel, and one has rubber...and none have lace.
Monica, you are such a clown!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
Why couldn't you thread an old treadle belt throught the tubing or just a piece of it at the joint and then sew together with the floss? It would keep it in line and not have to worry about the tape. Just a thought.
I like that idea! Just a short enough piece to tuck into the hose to make it easy to stitch the tubing ends together.
When my design fails, I will give that a try!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
I don't think the 128 is a VS machine. I have one with Godzilla finish. Your decals sound like La Vincendora, which was most common on that era 128s.
The 27, 28 127 and 128 are all VS (vibrating shuttle) machines, as opposed to the rotary or oscillating shuttle...
Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Why not just use a treadle belt?

Joe
Joe, I can answer your question this morning. Sorry, I had too many other projects/chats going last night to explain why I'm using a different material for a belt.

The leather belt that I was using hits my machine, Singer 328k, as it exits the machine (front by bobbin winder area). This rubbing caused wearing down of the belt. When I recently switch the machine from the straight-leg treadle to the standard cabinet/treadle there was a mark difference in the amount of wear. The belt was wearing down faster and lots of little bits of torn up leather were flying all over. I have another steel belt that I can use, but that would most likely make a groove into the machine and lots of little bits of steel would be all over the place too. (It may just be a good idea to run the steel belt just long enough to make a smooth semi-circular groove, talking out loud).

I have the very cheap aquarium hose which is soft enough to bend and give in that spot of contact; so, I went with that in hopes that the rubber will not break.

I also realized that I needed to around out and smooth the surface area of the contact spot with a file, which I did. As I stated before, why I didn't think of this filing before-I have no clue.

The very few folks that do treadle a Singer 328k, most of them have just cut out that area of metal on their machine where the belt hits. I don't like defacing the machine; plus, it was design that way in the first place, to be treadled or be e-machine ( poor design though).

So, I hope that answers your question on why I wanted something different than leather.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Monica, why do you feel the regular treadle is easier than the straight leg? Why do you feel your 328 is easier to treadle now? Because of the belt or the treadle it self? I am curious as I have both types of treadles and I think the straight leg is way faster and smoother to treadle? Or maybe, it is just that the 15-88 that I have in the straight leg is just a faster machine?

Nancy
I don't know! I was surprised after making the switch. I'm tempted to switch the Necchi into the standard treadle just to see how that treadles and then back again. Just too much work for that right now.

Is your straight-leg like Cathy's? Cathy's looks better made and more solid since it has the wooden legs. Mine is the metal legs that are very tinny. I understand that there are three different makes on the straight-legs. Mine most likely was the cheapest for them to manufacture at that time.

The Necchi treadles so much better than the Singer did in the straight-leg. I don't know, don't get it. It could be machine design.

Last edited by vintagemotif; 02-16-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:34 AM

Nancy, you are a doll. If you are going to see her Saturday that would work for me as you could bring them Saturday night. If not let me know and I will try to see her Sunday if she is home. God sure has blessed me with the best friends. Kathie