Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by purplefiend
I think the people who price the machines at some thrift stores are of the mindset; if its old and black, its worth lots and lots of money, no matter what condition its in. :roll:

I was at an antique store several years ago and saw lots of rusted machine heads there; all were priced at $100 or more. I asked why so much for a rusted thing and the response was: "Its an antique and someone wants it for decoration." I was just shocked. I mentioned that someone else might want a working version of what she had. She couldn't understand that we like to use old machines for sewing. She also had several machine cabinets painted black and the tops screwed down so they couldn't be opened.
:thumbdown: :roll:
Wow... yeah. There are two thrift/antique stores near me with multiple machines. A Rocketeer in a table, with attachments for $250; a Spartan in a plastic case for $99, a 201 in a 50's painted table, some rust, no attachments for $200, and an early 99 singer (one of the first 99's, treadle balance wheel with the 'foot print' electric controller) in grass cloth rectangular case for $59.

Then there was a animal rescue league thrift store that had the Singer STRAIGHT leg treadle cabinet, with a 15-88 treadle machine in it. I SO wanted to get it, but already have two treadle cabs AND an industrial table sewing machine (Sailrite SR200 longarm). I have no more room! lol
Is it a thrift store or a museum???
Old 07-28-2011, 01:32 PM

I was setting up today for a big community yard sale event in Homer, NY. The guy in the next tent is selling a Singer 301 in the case, it looks very nice, for $50.
I wish I knew someone who wanted it. (Homer is 40 minutes south of Syracuse, and the sale event is the "Route 90" sales, from Homer to Montezuma, NY. Really great sale weekend.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by piepatch
Can anyone here tell me how to free motion on a Singer 401? I posted on MAIN earlier, but I don't see the post. Thanks
you raise the throat plate or put on your button hole cover plate. I have a little plate that goes on around the throat plate - helps a lot.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by emmah
I was setting up today for a big community yard sale event in Homer, NY. The guy in the next tent is selling a Singer 301 in the case, it looks very nice, for $50.
I wish I knew someone who wanted it. (Homer is 40 minutes south of Syracuse, and the sale event is the "Route 90" sales, from Homer to Montezuma, NY. Really great sale weekend.
Is it a black one?? Long or short bed?? I'm heading that way next week, to Ithaca.

Texas Jan
Old 07-28-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
My late night CLs find! I was up until 2:30 AM wandering the CL listings. After some time, I checked back into my neighborhood, Bay Area. Well to my surprise, I see a free posting for a Standard early 1900s sewing machine with NO picture. I googled what a Standard early 1900s sewing machine since I have never seen one of those machines. I quickly sent off message telling them I will be there to pick up in AM. Plus, I was headed in that area in the morning..might as well see the machine. Well, I just had to get this cute machine even though I don't have room for this machine. Now I'm forced to clean my garage up to store a treadle or two next to my husband's workout equipment. :)

The cabinet had lots of interesting items in the drawers (clean vintage undies), but the attachments were the best. The owner said it had been his grandmother's machine, and that he is very happy to see it go to someone who will be using it. Again the machine finds me!
I really like the looks of this machine. It is like eye candy
Ditto!! It's really nice! And FREE??? WooHOO!!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by QuilterGary
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/2516812553.html

Interesting machine. Anyone interested?
Calling!

Billy
There is one like it in Terre Haute, IN
Old 07-28-2011, 01:40 PM

there is a guy on craigslist here who has a featherwieght for 1500.00.I told him it will never sell for that but of course I havent heard from him
Old 07-28-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Is it a black one?? Long or short bed?? I'm heading that way next week, to Ithaca.

Texas Jan
Tan in a nice suitcase with a small fold up panel on the end. If you want it, I would get it for you and meet you somewhere...I live between Cortland and Ithaca.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:59 PM

I have my heart set on a Black one--long bed. thanks so much though. We will be staying in Cortland, visiting Groton. What town do you live in?

Texas Jan

Texas Jan
Tan in a nice suitcase with a small fold up panel on the end. If you want it, I would get it for you and meet you somewhere...I live between Cortland and Ithaca.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:05 PM

Double Post, Sorry!!

Texas Jan
Rough is right, but she could turn out to be a nice save!!