Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-27-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I have often wondered where these people come up with prices for these machines they sale.
thin air?
I was thinking of a darker, smellier place...

Went to St. Vincent DePaul "Thrift" store today. They had a Bronze colored New Home, with attachments, book, and cabinet.... $235.00. Also had a Singer 15-90, in really poor shape, few attachments, also $235.00!! When the lady asked if I wanted either of them, I flat out told her, I could buy either one on ebay cheaper, including shipping! Sheese....
I have found our St Vincent DePaul is out of line on these machines also and yes they are usually in bad shape.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:31 PM

How's this for a non-machine giggle...well...it's machine related...some woman back in 1846 MACHINE APPLIQUED this quilt top!!
http://bend.craigslist.org/clt/2505213771.html
Old 07-27-2011, 04:32 PM

I have often wondered where these people come up with prices for these machines they sale.
I just e-mailed him and told him to lower his price as I just bought one just like that for $45. We shall see. Kathie
Old 07-27-2011, 04:38 PM

[quote=miriam][quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by BoJangles
I told her she could have one 401 for regular stitching, one 401 for top stitching, and the 15-91 with the buttonholer step up to go for when she wants to make buttonholes.
I will keep that in mind for my DGD who is a lefty. She might like a Singer 404 for straight stitch. They are cheap because they haven't caught on like the 301... set it up for it's own tasks.
Exactly! I read somewhere around 2 years ago of some person that has their machines set up for it's own task. At that time I thought it odd, but now it makes sense.
It's what business will do. I've done it. Another color thread, button holer, zigzag, ruffler or other attachments, I'd like to try for the chain stitch on one - just leave it set up all the time

I wonder why she thinks the 401 is better for a lefty? I do know you can see better with those because of the needle. My dyslexic sister LOVES her 403. She says it's the best she has ever had.
She says the 401 just felt right! The analogy that she used was the lefty using a right-handed guitar. She stated that the 15-91 was just awkward while the 401 was comfortable.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I just e-mailed him and told him to lower his price as I just bought one just like that for $45. We shall see. Kathie
Makes you wonder what some folks are really up too.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
How's this for a non-machine giggle...well...it's machine related...some woman back in 1846 MACHINE APPLIQUED this quilt top!!
http://bend.craigslist.org/clt/2505213771.html
"Oddly", yes! LOL
Old 07-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Here is a deal on a Handcrank if someone wants a mystery box!

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8284502

Billy
Billy how do you know it is a handcrank?
Well I was looking at the front of the case and no hole for the kneebar. Rarely do these come with foot controls but apparently this one does.

Billy
Old 07-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jljack
Well, Quiltncowgirl and I found a treadle to buy. Here it is

We have to drive to Paso Robles (about 100+ miles) to get it, but wonderful machine!! It's been in this same family since it was new.
Very nice!!!!

Billy
Old 07-27-2011, 05:09 PM

I think sometimes people price things based on how much their credit card bill is......or how much they want to spend on their vacation trip. They don't do any research, just make up something. I went to a yard sale last weekend and there were 7 white plastic sewing machines, Kenmores and Brothers, and when I ask "how much" they said some lady from a local college thought they were worth $75 each. I just shook my head. They were dirty and some broken!
On the other hand, I got several sets of attachments,and other parts, bunch of thread, pair of slacks, nice vintage fabric pile and two charming long aprons that look like 1900 fabric....for $10.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:16 PM

My late night CLs find! I was up until 2:30 AM wandering the CL listings. After some time, I checked back into my neighborhood, Bay Area. Well to my surprise, I see a free posting for a Standard early 1900s sewing machine with NO picture. I googled what a Standard early 1900s sewing machine since I have never seen one of those machines. I quickly sent off message telling them I will be there to pick up in AM. Plus, I was headed in that area in the morning..might as well see the machine. Well, I just had to get this cute machine even though I don't have room for this machine. Now I'm forced to clean my garage up to store a treadle or two next to my husband's workout equipment. :)

The cabinet had lots of interesting items in the drawers (clean vintage undies), but the attachments were the best. The owner said it had been his grandmother's machine, and that he is very happy to see it go to someone who will be using it. Again the machine finds me!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-232575.jpe   attachment-232576.jpe   attachment-232577.jpe