Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-27-2011, 05:56 PM

Unusual to find a 99 with Godzilla finish.
Originally Posted by grayhare
What do you all think about this sewing machine set? And what model is it. Looks nicely taken care of. My other machine is a Spartan, I thought this would be a nice addition. I really like the cabinet and stool, would like to refinish them in a darker color. It is a listing on craigslist, any tips or advice. They are asking 90 OBO 65.
Thank you, Anamaria
Old 07-27-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by miriam
I have a good idea!
Same stuff as that guy who wanted $1000 for the other machine a page or two back. Description made me laugh about the reverse stitch. I have a 1923ish 66 that has reverse and he said siad the 201 was one of the first to do that.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:59 PM

Only the "ordinary" ones! I have an overabundance of 66's, 99's 28's, 27's, etc. Something like that little treadle would entice me to throw a Singer out in the rain!!
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
If I had a sister in Rochester, I'd send her, whether she thought me nutty or not!

:-(

LOL Miz Johnny, Aren't you clearing out your machines? ;)
Cute!!![/quote]
Old 07-27-2011, 06:00 PM

You can WANT anything!!!!!
This guy want $650 for a Singer 401. Geez!!
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/hsh/2516772832.html
Old 07-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-140777-1.htm say hi to my sister
Old 07-27-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by shelburn
For everyone else, I love this thread. Can't wait to read it every day.
Wish I could find another treadle machine. Love my New Home 1880's treadle. Am attempting to make a miniquilt on it. Such fun! I am looking for a Singer machine. I have four machines but none of them are Singers. Two are vintage and two are modern (I guess) with plastic cases. I have been bitten by the VB (Vintage Bug) and DH is no help.
He loves fire arms so there is no room for criticism!
I have yard saler friends watching for old machines, but they don't really understand what it is we are looking for.
Thanks to all you people who helped me get the old New Home teadle going. Have become addicted, since I can't trail ride my horse any more. Need another outlet!!
Ok I have to ask, why can't you ride your trail horse anymore?

Nancy
Old 07-27-2011, 07:09 PM

Only the "ordinary" ones! I have an overabundance of 66's, 99's 28's, 27's, etc. Something like that little treadle would entice me to throw a Singer out in the rain!!
If I had a sister in Rochester, I'd send her, whether she thought me nutty or not!

:-(

LOL Miz Johnny, Aren't you clearing out your machines? ;)
Cute!!!
[/quote]

That little treadle was the cutest little thing, I was really tempted, but I am happy that my dh helped me put the belt on my treadle tonight. People sure put a wide range of prices on their CL postings!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:23 PM

Nancy she loves the Singer 401. She ran into another problem with her Janome today. The needle in the Janome had slip down and was hitting plastic, a simple fix. But while I was figuring out the problem on the Janome, she did use the Singer 15-91. I pulled it out of her room and set it to go for her. She had the 401 setup to do top stitching and didin't want to mess with that. Well,she didn't like the knee control on the 15-91. The foot pedal was used instead. Once I got the Janome running for her again, she asked to go back to that. She is a lefty, and felt that the Singer 15-91 was set up for a right-handed person. She did state that the 401 works for a right handed or left handed person. I told her I would keep my eye out for another 401 for her. I told her she could have one 401 for regular stitching, one 401 for top stitching, and the 15-91 with the buttonholer step up to go for when she wants to make buttonholes.
Well, it sounds to me like she is on the road to really appreciating a vintage machine! The more problems she has with her modern Janome, the more she will marvel at the dependability of these old gals. I find it hard to go back to my modern machines after using the vintage ones. Yes, it is great to have a machine for each job - sure makes our sewing tasks easier - that is the way I do it - they all have their speciality!

Nancy
Old 07-27-2011, 07:25 PM

I saw that ad too! Did you see the "antique singer' listed a couple days ago for $100? It was a FW. Sold the same evening they listed it, then it got listed the next day for $325!

Nancy
Old 07-27-2011, 07:26 PM

My late night CLs find! I was up until 2:30 AM wandering the CL listings. After some time, I checked back into my neighborhood, Bay Area. Well to my surprise, I see a free posting for a Standard early 1900s sewing machine with NO picture. I googled what a Standard early 1900s sewing machine since I have never seen one of those machines. I quickly sent off message telling them I will be there to pick up in AM. Plus, I was headed in that area in the morning..might as well see the machine. Well, I just had to get this cute machine even though I don't have room for this machine. Now I'm forced to clean my garage up to store a treadle or two next to my husband's workout equipment. :)

The cabinet had lots of interesting items in the drawers (clean vintage undies), but the attachments were the best. The owner said it had been his grandmother's machine, and that he is very happy to see it go to someone who will be using it. Again the machine finds me!
So many neat finds here--that looks like it's going to be gorgeous.