Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-27-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
My late night CLs find! I was up until 2:30 AM wandering the CL listings. After some time, I checked back into my neighborhood, Bay Area. Well to my surprise, I see a free posting for a Standard early 1900s sewing machine with NO picture. I googled what a Standard early 1900s sewing machine since I have never seen one of those machines. I quickly sent off message telling them I will be there to pick up in AM. Plus, I was headed in that area in the morning..might as well see the machine. Well, I just had to get this cute machine even though I don't have room for this machine. Now I'm forced to clean my garage up to store a treadle or two next to my husband's workout equipment. :)

The cabinet had lots of interesting items in the drawers (clean vintage undies), but the attachments were the best. The owner said it had been his grandmother's machine, and that he is very happy to see it go to someone who will be using it. Again the machine finds me!
Wow Monica, I love the Standard and the cabinet! Congratulations, you are going to catch up with me!

Nancy
Old 07-27-2011, 07:56 PM

I found an ad in our local paper for two sewing machine cabinets for $20 each. I called and the lady told me that they both had machines, but were older so she was just selling the cabinets and just including the machines. One is a 328 and the other is a 306. Both have the cams and one has the book and other accessories. I have no need for either, but I have a feeling I will call her back tomorrow. One has a Queen Anne cabinet and the other is a desk type one with a basket weave pattern on the front. What do yall think?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
I found an ad in our local paper for two sewing machine cabinets for $20 each. I called and the lady told me that they both had machines, but were older so she was just selling the cabinets and just including the machines. One is a 328 and the other is a 306. Both have the cams and one has the book and other accessories. I have no need for either, but I have a feeling I will call her back tomorrow. One has a Queen Anne cabinet and the other is a desk type one with a basket weave pattern on the front. What do yall think?
At $20 go for it. Kathie
Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I saw that ad too! Did you see the "antique singer' listed a couple days ago for $100? It was a FW. Sold the same evening they listed it, then it got listed the next day for $325!

Nancy
Yes, I did see that FW. I almost posted a heads up, but got busy with family stuff and piecing quilt. Later, I went back to look and saw the posting gone. So, that was the same machine the next day!
:roll:
Old 07-27-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Originally Posted by melinda1962
At $20 go for it. Kathie
Buy!!!! Keep the 328 to play with the cams. I use mine for decorative stitching on my bindings.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:16 PM

My late night CLs find! I was up until 2:30 AM wandering the CL listings. After some time, I checked back into my neighborhood, Bay Area. Well to my surprise, I see a free posting for a Standard early 1900s sewing machine with NO picture. I googled what a Standard early 1900s sewing machine since I have never seen one of those machines. I quickly sent off message telling them I will be there to pick up in AM. Plus, I was headed in that area in the morning..might as well see the machine. Well, I just had to get this cute machine even though I don't have room for this machine. Now I'm forced to clean my garage up to store a treadle or two next to my husband's workout equipment. :)

The cabinet had lots of interesting items in the drawers (clean vintage undies), but the attachments were the best. The owner said it had been his grandmother's machine, and that he is very happy to see it go to someone who will be using it. Again the machine finds me!
Wow Monica, I love the Standard and the cabinet! Congratulations, you are going to catch up with me!

Nancy
I'm only rescuing the free machines these days. They are like the lost mutts of the world that need a home too, or temp-home. :) When my husband saw the machine he said, "what a cute machine". I don't know where this machine will go.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts

Great find! but you know you gotta post ta pic of the undies! lol :lol:
Sorry, NO go! I don't post undies. You will have to trust me here. The drawers were stuffed with fabrics, a sewing project, the undies, and kids socks that were needing a mending.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 PM

Nancy she loves the Singer 401. She ran into another problem with her Janome today. The needle in the Janome had slip down and was hitting plastic, a simple fix. But while I was figuring out the problem on the Janome, she did use the Singer 15-91. I pulled it out of her room and set it to go for her. She had the 401 setup to do top stitching and didin't want to mess with that. Well,she didn't like the knee control on the 15-91. The foot pedal was used instead. Once I got the Janome running for her again, she asked to go back to that. She is a lefty, and felt that the Singer 15-91 was set up for a right-handed person. She did state that the 401 works for a right handed or left handed person. I told her I would keep my eye out for another 401 for her. I told her she could have one 401 for regular stitching, one 401 for top stitching, and the 15-91 with the buttonholer step up to go for when she wants to make buttonholes.
Well, it sounds to me like she is on the road to really appreciating a vintage machine! The more problems she has with her modern Janome, the more she will marvel at the dependability of these old gals. I find it hard to go back to my modern machines after using the vintage ones. Yes, it is great to have a machine for each job - sure makes our sewing tasks easier - that is the way I do it - they all have their speciality!

Nancy
OMG! She just showed me a blog of some gal in New York that designs and sews some awesome bags using a vintage Singer 29k58( I think its a 29k58... looks like one... I don't know the correct #, it's a 29k?). She asked me if I know or seen anything like that Singer. I told her yeah and that I saw one and played with one at the June Gold Coast Mini TOGA. Way cool of a machine that is HEAVY and BIG! She looked disappointed at the heavy and big. I looked at her and said,"NO WAY, You are interested in a Singer 29k58?". Her look was yeah mom. HELP ME!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:53 PM

Nancy she loves the Singer 401. She ran into another problem with her Janome today. The needle in the Janome had slip down and was hitting plastic, a simple fix. But while I was figuring out the problem on the Janome, she did use the Singer 15-91. I pulled it out of her room and set it to go for her. She had the 401 setup to do top stitching and didin't want to mess with that. Well,she didn't like the knee control on the 15-91. The foot pedal was used instead. Once I got the Janome running for her again, she asked to go back to that. She is a lefty, and felt that the Singer 15-91 was set up for a right-handed person. She did state that the 401 works for a right handed or left handed person. I told her I would keep my eye out for another 401 for her. I told her she could have one 401 for regular stitching, one 401 for top stitching, and the 15-91 with the buttonholer step up to go for when she wants to make buttonholes.
Well, it sounds to me like she is on the road to really appreciating a vintage machine! The more problems she has with her modern Janome, the more she will marvel at the dependability of these old gals. I find it hard to go back to my modern machines after using the vintage ones. Yes, it is great to have a machine for each job - sure makes our sewing tasks easier - that is the way I do it - they all have their speciality!

Nancy
OMG! She just showed me a blog of some gal in New York that designs and sews some awesome bags using a vintage Singer 29k58( I think its a 29k58... looks like one... I don't know the correct #, it's a 29k?). She asked me if I know or seen anything like that Singer. I told her yeah and that I saw one and played with one at the June Gold Coast Mini TOGA. Way cool of a machine that is HEAVY and BIG! She looked disappointed at the heavy and big. I looked at her and said,"NO WAY, You are interested in a Singer 29k58?". Her look was yeah mom. HELP ME!
It's a slippery slope!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:57 PM

Here's one I'm looking at - it looks like a cute little one my GD would like to play with when she is here (and it's green and cute looking) - but they say the shipping weight is 58 lbs - no way that has to be right. Anyone know anything about these machines? Also, it seems to be missing the bobbin cover plate and I'm not if they are hard to replace.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8304821