Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-23-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
I'm in need of a shuttle for the bobbin on a Singer 27 treadle. Any ideas where I might find one or who I might contact. I want to make sure I'm calling it the right thing....it's the bullet shaped holder for the bobbin. Thank you in advance for the help.
Did you get a 301 yet? :-D
Old 07-23-2011, 12:45 PM

they don't have to lower their standards for little ole me.

It is their loss. I would have thought that it would raise their standards by going that extra mile for their customers. But then what do I know. Kathie
Old 07-23-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by lee231
Originally Posted by Bennett
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Originally Posted by MrsBoats
I picked up a gallon ziploc bag of misc sewing stuff at my favorite thrift shop the other day, and now I've got some mystery feet I'm hoping the hive mind can help me ID.

Also, as you can see, some of them are rusty, or otherwise dirty? What's a good way of cleaning them?
Evaporust. You can get it at Harbor Freight.

Texas Jan
Question about the Evaporust--do you put anything on the parts to protect them afterward? I'm thinking flat pieces would be easy to polish, but I think I might really go nuts if I had to polish a ruffler. :)
It says on the bottle that if you pull it out of the Evaporust and let it air dry it is good for two weeks of protection.
I lightly oil my stuff with sewing machine oil. keeps it shiny so far.

Texas Jan
Old 07-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by sew wishful
I'm in need of a shuttle for the bobbin on a Singer 27 treadle. Any ideas where I might find one or who I might contact. I want to make sure I'm calling it the right thing....it's the bullet shaped holder for the bobbin. Thank you in advance for the help.
Here's a Wiki page to help you decide! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singer_Model_27_and_127
Thanks! I took pics of the two I have side by side. The rusty one says Davis on it. It is a bit longer. The other has no makings and is in good shape - it has a thread stuck though and holes all over the place. Probably the 127. There were some pretty long needles in that zip bag but there were short ones too.

I wonder if the Davis (left) ever was shiny?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]230785[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-230779.jpe  
Old 07-23-2011, 02:53 PM

If you're looking for back clamping attachments for your 66-1 or 66-3, there's a set on ebay that's almost complete!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Antique-Sin...item56452c09f4
My word! That is pretty steep in my book.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tomilu
If you're looking for back clamping attachments for your 66-1 or 66-3, there's a set on ebay that's almost complete!

It is almost all there! Wow - even the manual.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:16 PM

Too steep for my pocketbook, but I don't think it's unreasonable...considering that folks change out the bars on their 66's because they can't find the back clamps...
Old 07-23-2011, 04:28 PM

Too steep for my pocketbook, but I don't think it's unreasonable...considering that folks change out the bars on their 66's because they can't find the back clamps...
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The back clamp attachments and items for the 66-1 are difficult to find.

Be interesting watching this one. :)
Old 07-23-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by treadlep
They may have just googled the name of the machine and hopefully are not actual members of the board. There isn't a lot of info about this Richmond sewing machine as I found doing my research. I get that these photos of mine weren't copyrighted or anything and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they were just looking for a picture like their machine. But it's very misleading to say these are "before" pictures of their machine. And like most situations in life they could have at least asked first! And if they are members they will see these posts...

Treadlep

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Bennett
Originally Posted by treadlep
Bennett: I'm not sure those folks with the CL listing for the well-used Richmond treadle are all that honest. Their "before" pictures are my exact Richmond treadle sitting in my exact living room in CA, as posted exactly on page 983 on this thread. I was gobsmacked to open that ad---and then not very happy at all!

Treadlep
Dang! I did think it was a little weird they didn't have after pictures. I would be angry too. I went back and flagged it.
it's still there - I would be upset - even more upsetting it was from somebody on the Quilting Board...

They are copyrighted TO YOU! as soon as you snap a pic its your pic and no one can use it with out your permission.
My dad was a photographer and I am an artist I know all these rules.
You do not have to file a copyright it happens as soon as you snap the pic.
I would send them a cease and desist order and provide links to the fact that it is your pic. I would also contact craigslist.

Not that you are losing out on anything but it is highly misleading and its wrong that they think they can get away with it
Old 07-23-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
I am thinking about selling some of my machines. Would anyone here be interested in sewing machine heads.
I have a 66-1 red eye (but it has an electric hand wheel)
and a singer 27 with 2 bobbins and a shuttle

Neither are in a base I am just out of room and I think I have found my machines i use all the time.

Also for those of you who have shipped sewing heads approximately how much does it run.

I just dont know if I should sell them here or list them on craigslist. I would rather they be sold to someone appreciates vintage machines.
Do people just buy machine heads?
One of the things about shipping old sewing machines is that they have to be packed very,very well as cast iron is fragile and rather heavy. It can cost about $35-60 to ship a machine head. I'd like to see pictures of your machines.
Sharon W.
Thats why I was fielding the question first. I am going to post them up for sale. I ma selling them cheap so maybe it wont be that bad. I will post in here when I do list them