Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-22-2011, 03:51 AM

Oops double post :oops:
Old 07-22-2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Davis Vertical Feed, NVS!!!!
Someone please go after this! I love my two Davis Vertical Feed NVS for binding work. I really don't need a third one.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2506243252.html
I wish I was closer! I might try and mail him and see if I can just buy the machine and he can mail it to me!

Billy
I'm closer then you Billy but not close enough. I really want one of those.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Someone please go after this! I love my two Davis Vertical Feed NVS for binding work. I really don't need a third one.

I wish I was closer! I might try and mail him and see if I can just buy the machine and he can mail it to me!

Billy
My husband has to go to San Jose tomorrow; I just emailed to see if the machine is still available!

Old 07-22-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict

Billy
My husband has to go to San Jose tomorrow; I just emailed to see if the machine is still available!
Old 07-22-2011, 06:16 AM

Nicky, what did you spot "out in the wild" when you were junkin' yesterday? Anything good?
Old 07-22-2011, 06:16 AM

Just had to share. Billy to the rescue, again! He sent me info to repair the original wooden pitman on my pre 1900 Singer industrial. Really working to get that puppy running. Thanks, again, Billy.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Nicky, what did you spot "out in the wild" when you were junkin' yesterday? Anything good?
Hi Charlee, thanks for asking. It was frustrating! I went to 6 thrift stores, and at the last one there was a Kenmore 117.282 with case for $25. After finding nothing, that sounded good so I got it. I looked it up from my iPhone and found it was the same vintage as me, 1948 and felt that was a sign. When I got home I set it up and started feeling remorseful, maybe since I could not figure out how to thread it... Anyhow I didn't even plug it in, I took it back for store credit. I think it would have worked, the rubber wheel on the motor turned when I spun the wheel.

I think I will enjoy searching for and buying these antique machines, but it has to be love at first sight, and this was not. There was white powdery stuff on the crinkle finish too, like it was starting to disintegrate in spots and that turned me off.

On the other hand, I am going to check out a few old machines next week that I found on my local Craigslist. I will post pics of them for your opinion. One is a Bartlett portable in a wooden case, the other is a 1910 portable Singer, can't see a case in the pic. There is only one pic of each, but they look pretty good. The gal is out of town, but I called her the other day and she still has them, is asking $50 each. She lives in a neighboring town so it will be a pretty easy road trip next week when she returns.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:49 AM

Hi, I'm new to this Quilting Board. My son-in-law gave me his grandma's Spartan 192K sewing machine. I've found the tutorials by Billy, for cleaning up the machine; which is not bad at all. My question is about the case. How can it be repaired, can it be recovered? Any suggestions.
Thank you, Anamaria

Case
[ATTACH=CONFIG]230080[/ATTACH]

Close up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]230081[/ATTACH]

Spartan
[ATTACH=CONFIG]230082[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-230074.jpe   attachment-230075.jpe   attachment-230076.jpe  
Old 07-22-2011, 06:59 AM

grayhare, that machine is sweet!! :)

I wouldn't recover the case...the wear and tear is part of it's charm. The only thing I might do is use some wood glue to reattach the part of the cover that's torn/coming loose, and clean the case....I use a product from the dollar store called "Awesome"....great stuff, and I've used it on some of my cases with sucess!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Charlee, here are the pics of the two machines I will check out next week. Sorry they are so small.

1910 Singer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]230087[/ATTACH]

Bartlett
[ATTACH=CONFIG]230088[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-230081.jpe   attachment-230082.jpe