Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-01-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
I got my first antique singer! Now I just have to find out who to take her to get re-wired and we will be good to go. Can I use my low shank walking foot and darning foot on her? Oh and she's missing the little knob on the front that you adjust when you change the stitch length i think? is this going to make it so she won't work for me? Can you see that the little knob is missing on the front? i didn't know anything about it when I bought her this afternoon. Oh and I got her for $60 cuz i knew I was going to have to re-wire her.
Very nice 201! As you have been told, Billy should have the aparts, if not you should be able to find them at some of the on-line repair shops! Those 201's were advertised as the "finest sewing machine Singer ever made!" Have fun with it.

Nancy
Old 08-01-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Well, I have seen some pretty machines here lately. I like the singers (a redeye is on my wish list) but am drawn to the older non-singer electric ones. I guess it is because I learned to sew on a Wizard that my mom bought with her first paycheck in the fall of 1966, when I was four years old. I still have the machine and got it out and cleaned it up today, and it is still just as pretty as then. And sews like a dream. Go figure. My mom made most of my clothes on it, and when I was 8, I started making some of my own. I wound up with it and used it for all my maternity and baby clothes and bedding too. It was the machine I used when I started "taking in sewing," as we say here in LA. I saw one similar to it on craigslist and decided to clean it up today. It looks alright for its miles and age I think.
Melinda, that machine is part of your family! How cool is that! I have my mother's Pfaff 130 along with her coupon payment book where she paid $17.00 a month until she paid for it! She kept and used that machine until she died - she was so loyal to that machine! Now that I have it, I can understand why - what a work horse those old machines are!

Nancy
Old 08-01-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Originally Posted by shnnn
Originally Posted by miriam
yeah? I ain't laffin' there are some out here who won't figure it out that easy... I wants to know.
ummm... yah - for the life of me I can't make a metal picture appear of what a machine boss might possibly look like :oops:
http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...motorboss.html is where you can find a picture of the motor boss. I just had to look and see. LOL
Thank you for that! I noticed the Motor Boss on my 15K treadle but was not sure what it was for.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:25 AM

My fingers are sore. I bought 2 FW from EBAY awhile back and just getting around to cleaning them up. The first one was not to bad a couple of hours I it cleaned up and sewing like a champ. The second one was a different story. I used the Goop method and thought my DW had bought defective Goop. I rubed and rubed thought I had it cleaned then rubed some more. After about four hours the rags are staying clean, I didn't think there could be that much gunk on a FW. I put it back together wind a bobbin works great. I start to sew and it seems to run about half speed. Anyway I was hot and tired so I will let the oil soak in and try later. Any one have any sugestions as to the speed? I checked the brushes they are fine. I will look at it again tonight if it is not too hot.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Candace
I got this last week:> It's a 185K. I've cleaned it up, it needed it. and it looks all nice and shiny. This is the photo taken at the sellers place, but I jumped on it when I saw it listed on CL. It looks better now, but I don't have a new photo. I sewed all day on it last week and it does a nice straight stitch. Another fun one to play with. It came with the carrying case that needed a good cleaning too, but it works perfect.
Candace how does the 185K sound when you sew on it? Is it loud, groany sounding? There is a gal that comes to our Girl's Night Out with a 185K that sounds terrible, but sews really nice. By the way, really nice machine. I love the way those 185's look!

Nancy
Nancy, no my 185K machine doesn't make any groaning. It sounds like your friend's machine needs to be cleaned and oiled. Or maybe the belt is going bad. I cleaned and oiled mine and no noises that strike me as odd, or loud. My recent 301A acquisition(not yet posted a photo), had this exact groaning problem. It took me a while but I oiled and greased it then oiled and greased it some more and the groaning went away. So, to me, in any vintage model it sounds like the groaning is the machine's way of telling the owner it's very 'thirsty'. Hope this helps!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 AM

Can't wait to hear (read) comments about this. I bought a So-Fro by Singer (do I hear a groan??) at half price day in Goodwill. Paid $2.50 for it!! I cleaned it up, oiled a couple spots, took it apart twice to figure out the fancy stitches and a few other buttons I couldn't understand (no book or ANyTHING came with it) and it sews beautifully!! Every stictch works (if you know what buttons to turn, LOL!) The ONLY problem I have with it is: If I don't hold my finger weight on the spool of thread it will suck it in like gang busters, and it's all on the under side of the material. Big loops of it!! It's all threaded correctly (someone owned this machine to learn on cuz it's numbered in marker 1, 2, 3, etc. and written in marker is Bobbin - counter clockwise. Cute. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what to weight the spool down with to keep it from being pulled in too fast. The spool holder doesn't come out of the top of the spool or I would try some washers. Any ideas??
I think I remember a while back someone calling these machines "Sew and Throw". Why....this really does sew nicely, today!!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Can't wait to hear (read) comments about this. I bought a So-Fro by Singer (do I hear a groan??) at half price day in Goodwill. Paid $2.50 for it!! I cleaned it up, oiled a couple spots, took it apart twice to figure out the fancy stitches and a few other buttons I couldn't understand (no book or ANyTHING came with it) and it sews beautifully!! Every stictch works (if you know what buttons to turn, LOL!) The ONLY problem I have with it is: If I don't hold my finger weight on the spool of thread it will suck it in like gang busters, and it's all on the under side of the material. Big loops of it!! It's all threaded correctly (someone owned this machine to learn on cuz it's numbered in marker 1, 2, 3, etc. and written in marker is Bobbin - counter clockwise. Cute. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what to weight the spool down with to keep it from being pulled in too fast. The spool holder doesn't come out of the top of the spool or I would try some washers. Any ideas??
I think I remember a while back someone calling these machines "Sew and Throw". Why....this really does sew nicely, today!!
Wow, $2.50, you got a good deal. I went to look one up to see what it looked like. Here's one for $120!

http://singeroriginalvintageproducts...NEFORSALE.aspx
Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 AM

Gary, congratulations on your machine. You may want to check the connections in the foot pedal too. There may be something loose or it may just need a new foot pedal.

Pictures please

Lisa
:D :D
Old 08-01-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I got this last week:> It's a 185K. I've cleaned it up, it needed it. and it looks all nice and shiny. This is the photo taken at the sellers place, but I jumped on it when I saw it listed on CL. It looks better now, but I don't have a new photo. I sewed all day on it last week and it does a nice straight stitch. Another fun one to play with. It came with the carrying case that needed a good cleaning too, but it works perfect.
Candace how does the 185K sound when you sew on it? Is it loud, groany sounding? There is a gal that comes to our Girl's Night Out with a 185K that sounds terrible, but sews really nice. By the way, really nice machine. I love the way those 185's look!

Nancy
Nancy, no my 185K machine doesn't make any groaning. It sounds like your friend's machine needs to be cleaned and oiled. Or maybe the belt is going bad. I cleaned and oiled mine and no noises that strike me as odd, or loud. My recent 301A acquisition(not yet posted a photo), had this exact groaning problem. It took me a while but I oiled and greased it then oiled and greased it some more and the groaning went away. So, to me, in any vintage model it sounds like the groaning is the machine's way of telling the owner it's very 'thirsty'. Hope this helps!
I had the same thing with my 301a when I got it....it was groaning and clanking away!! As soon as I oiled and oiled and oiled, then let it sit for a day, then ran it, all the strange moanings and clankings were gone.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn
Originally Posted by miriam
yeah? I ain't laffin' there are some out here who won't figure it out that easy... I wants to know.
ummm... yah - for the life of me I can't make a metal picture appear of what a machine boss might possibly look like :oops:
Sorry...posted that and then went to bed....or I'd have posted a pic for ya!