Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-01-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by sew wishful
Can't wait to hear (read) comments about this. I bought a So-Fro by Singer (do I hear a groan??) at half price day in Goodwill. Paid $2.50 for it!! I cleaned it up, oiled a couple spots, took it apart twice to figure out the fancy stitches and a few other buttons I couldn't understand (no book or ANyTHING came with it) and it sews beautifully!! Every stictch works (if you know what buttons to turn, LOL!) The ONLY problem I have with it is: If I don't hold my finger weight on the spool of thread it will suck it in like gang busters, and it's all on the under side of the material. Big loops of it!! It's all threaded correctly (someone owned this machine to learn on cuz it's numbered in marker 1, 2, 3, etc. and written in marker is Bobbin - counter clockwise. Cute. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what to weight the spool down with to keep it from being pulled in too fast. The spool holder doesn't come out of the top of the spool or I would try some washers. Any ideas??
I think I remember a while back someone calling these machines "Sew and Throw". Why....this really does sew nicely, today!!
Wow, $2.50, you got a good deal. I went to look one up to see what it looked like. Here's one for $120!

http://singeroriginalvintageproducts...NEFORSALE.aspx
Mine is newer I think...has more knobs .....Here's a pic
Attached Thumbnails attachment-234974.jpe  
Old 08-01-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Can't wait to hear (read) comments about this. I bought a So-Fro by Singer (do I hear a groan??) at half price day in Goodwill. Paid $2.50 for it!! I cleaned it up, oiled a couple spots, took it apart twice to figure out the fancy stitches and a few other buttons I couldn't understand (no book or ANyTHING came with it) and it sews beautifully!! Every stictch works (if you know what buttons to turn, LOL!) The ONLY problem I have with it is: If I don't hold my finger weight on the spool of thread it will suck it in like gang busters, and it's all on the under side of the material. Big loops of it!! It's all threaded correctly (someone owned this machine to learn on cuz it's numbered in marker 1, 2, 3, etc. and written in marker is Bobbin - counter clockwise. Cute. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what to weight the spool down with to keep it from being pulled in too fast. The spool holder doesn't come out of the top of the spool or I would try some washers. Any ideas??
I think I remember a while back someone calling these machines "Sew and Throw". Why....this really does sew nicely, today!!
Wow, $2.50, you got a good deal. I went to look one up to see what it looked like. Here's one for $120!

http://singeroriginalvintageproducts...NEFORSALE.aspx
Mine is newer I think...has more knobs .....Here's a pic
It's cute - trimmed in pink! :) I would have picked that up for my GD!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:14 PM

Cross everything you can for me...have an email out to someone selling an A.G. Mason "New Florence" treadle machine...am hoping beyond hope that they haven't sold it yet...it's freakin GORGEOUS!! A.G. Mason was a subsidiary company of White...so while many refer to the machine as a "White" is technically is not...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-234976.jpe   attachment-234977.jpe  
Old 08-01-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by BrandyMcCoy
These are two of my many machines...
Here is the White after I followed Billy's tutorial on how to clean them
Attached Thumbnails attachment-234996.jpe   attachment-234997.jpe   attachment-234998.jpe   attachment-234999.jpe   attachment-235000.jpe  

attachment-235001.jpe  
Old 08-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

SWEET!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Cross everything you can for me...have an email out to someone selling an A.G. Mason "New Florence" treadle machine...am hoping beyond hope that they haven't sold it yet...it's freakin GORGEOUS!! A.G. Mason was a subsidiary company of White...so while many refer to the machine as a "White" is technically is not...
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's mine...I go to get her on Weds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~happy dance~
Old 08-01-2011, 01:39 PM

That is gorgeous I love that table....my fingers are crossed for you:)
Old 08-01-2011, 01:55 PM

Charlee that IS GORGEOUS. I hope you get it.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:56 PM

Brandy That White turned out very pretty, looks almost new.

:thumbup:
Old 08-01-2011, 01:59 PM

Really nice Brandy! Good job!