Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-07-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Bennett
I've just been catching up from everyone's weekend haul. Such fun to see everything and know it's going to be cleaned up and loved.

My new job(s) schedule lets me have all weekend off (yay!) and I finally got out to clean up my Red Eye yesterday. I didn't expect her to be so shiny! (Posted before and after on the pics page). I can't wait to try treadling. Thanks for the tutorials Billy--they are wonderfully detailed, and I would never have thought of attempting to break down and clean a machine without them.

I also did some FMQ last week on the 15-91. :) I had attempted FMQ years ago on my mom's Huskvarna, but I wasn't really happy with the results so stuck to straight line patterns. Then I saw where people here have been using their vintage machines to FMQ, so I bought another foot and tried it out. It was okay, but not spectacular, kept having some skipped stitches and tension problems. Then I found a random darning foot that I had stuck in a box in a closet, probably because I had no idea what it was. It worked better. Then I found the information by Leah Day on FMQ, kept up my feed dogs, set the stitch to zero, and away I went. It was fun, and the stitch quality looks good to me. No snarls or skipped stitches on my little FMQ doodles. Can't wait to try more! If you're thinking of trying FMQ on a vintage machine, I say go for it.
Bennett,

Work work looks good enough for me! Next time I free motion quilt with my 15 in treadle, I will give this technique a try. Thanks for posting!
I'm dying to try FMQ on a treadle, I just don't have one that drops the dogs....BUT!! I can use a buttonholer cover!! :D

Oh wait...I kinda sorta hafta sew a quilt top to do that, huh?
Old 08-07-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by hootnannie
Earlier this summer I saw a CL ad for a featherweight in NYC (Manhattan) for $123. and my curiosity got to me. I figured it was either a mistake, already gone, and/or misclassified. I emailed and got a response with a phone number. I called, said it had been his mom's but it was really hard to get any more info. Several emails & days later when I came into the city I was to call him again and if he was finished with a writing deadline, he'd give me an address. The whole thing was weird, so armed with DD and 3 DGK we set off on this trek.
The day was hotter than you know what and a woman my age shouldn't be able to sweat that much. When we got to the place I thought, " I'll get to see what a NYC apt. looks like inside. Up 3 flights we all went and when we got there, you could barely slide in the door. The place was packed so tight with STUFF, down the hall, up the walls, in every nook and cranny. I had found a true hoarder. Now, I have clutter and collect some things....now it's VSM... but this one wasn't on TV but "in the wild" as Charlee says. I bought the machine and hightailed me, DD, and kids out to the street, to sweat some more.
When I got home, I took a look and couldn't believe my eyes. Not only was it shiny and pristine but it was ready to sew (complete)with great decals all around. His mom must not been a frequent sewer. It's BD was 4/10/1940.
Annie,

Great story for your kids to retell to their kids and grandkids, the trip to a real NY hoarder's home for a FW. Love it!!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Bennett
I've just been catching up from everyone's weekend haul. Such fun to see everything and know it's going to be cleaned up and loved.

My new job(s) schedule lets me have all weekend off (yay!) and I finally got out to clean up my Red Eye yesterday. I didn't expect her to be so shiny! (Posted before and after on the pics page). I can't wait to try treadling. Thanks for the tutorials Billy--they are wonderfully detailed, and I would never have thought of attempting to break down and clean a machine without them.

I also did some FMQ last week on the 15-91. :) I had attempted FMQ years ago on my mom's Huskvarna, but I wasn't really happy with the results so stuck to straight line patterns. Then I saw where people here have been using their vintage machines to FMQ, so I bought another foot and tried it out. It was okay, but not spectacular, kept having some skipped stitches and tension problems. Then I found a random darning foot that I had stuck in a box in a closet, probably because I had no idea what it was. It worked better. Then I found the information by Leah Day on FMQ, kept up my feed dogs, set the stitch to zero, and away I went. It was fun, and the stitch quality looks good to me. No snarls or skipped stitches on my little FMQ doodles. Can't wait to try more! If you're thinking of trying FMQ on a vintage machine, I say go for it.
Bennett,

Work work looks good enough for me! Next time I free motion quilt with my 15 in treadle, I will give this technique a try. Thanks for posting!
I'm dying to try FMQ on a treadle, I just don't have one that drops the dogs....BUT!! I can use a buttonholer cover!! :D

Oh wait...I kinda sorta hafta sew a quilt top to do that, huh?
Charlee,

Don't you need to make a quilt top and bottom and at least spray baste them to the batting!!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Here are my latest finds.

My National Two Spools, Willie Sue, had one owner before me! She came with her attachments, manual, warranty, and several letters of correspondence between Ms Willie Sue and the National Sewing Company! Pretty Cool!

Nancy
Nancy, That National Two Spools looks like it has never been used. Beautiful!!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I did some more looking at the Challenge and I found the shuttle and four bobbins. I also found a needle that measures 1 3/4 inches long. I think I remember some one saying on this board that they do not make that long of a needle any more, am I right? Kathie
Yep, you are right, although, there is a company trying to make an industrial type needle that will work. I have lots of the Boye 10's Kathie, if you want to try one. I have a stash I bought off of E-bay when I could find them. They are pricey to get, but worth it for my Davis Vertical Feed machine.

Nancy
Old 08-07-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Nancy, my A.G. Mason machine that I just got (Mamie, the New Florence) is closely associated with White, and some maintain that it IS a White (I disagree). It takes the 20x1 needle too...

White DID badge a Challenge machine btw....
Charlee, the White Dating site does not list any 'Florence' nor 'New Florence' under the White, Mason line. But if you go to ISMACS needle list, they list several machines called "Florence" under the Mason line and Davis? The ISMACS site also lists only two 'Challenge" machines - one was made by Davis, which would be consistant with Kathies machine taking the Boye 10 and the other one is made by National.

It is interesting that my Hitachi treadle is not even listed as existing at all!

http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...eedle-list.pdf
Nancy

Ps for those of you going to this site for the first time, you use the second column, which is the machine name. The second column is in alpabetical order, followed by the first column, which is the manufacturer's name!
Which White dating site are you refering to Nancy?

This one:
http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession

refers to the New Florence as a "Mason D" and implies that it's a White machine, but the Mason company sold to National, (can't recall the date off the top of my head) and then National was absorbed by White in 1916. According th ethe webshots site, my machine's serial number isn't listed, altho some shortly after that are. The implication is that my machine is pre-1910, but it sure looks a LOT like some of the White machines I've seen out there...
Old 08-07-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hey kids the boss is back in the shop for a minute to check up on things. I have been really sick from this Chemo/Radiation therapy I am doing for this blood disorder thing but at least I am able to sit up and move around a bit. I tell you what I will be so glad to be over with it and it just started...... :roll: But they said it is a 3 part treatment and I will be going in for round two week after next. I did get another industrial W&G machine since I sold my last one a few weeks ago to a lady in Dyersburg. It is a lot nicer and a little newer looking but I need to see if I can get a belt for it and get it to running again. Yes I think this one will remain electrified. :shock: Yep I think I have lost my mind but I want to be able to set this up to where I can put my block strips together really fast! and if I decide to do a stitch in the ditch type of quilting I can do that in a hurry also, to the tune of 4000 stitches a minute. :mrgreen:

But here are a few photos of the rascal....
Billy, is this all due to that snake bite you got on the face? Geeze, I hope you get back to your normal self real soon! Hang in there, as if you can do anything else, huh?

Did you see my Hitachi treadle on page 1439? Have any insights for me about this treadle?

Oh and nice industrial machine you just got!

Nancy
Old 08-07-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hey kids the boss is back in the shop for a minute to check up on things. I have been really sick from this Chemo/Radiation therapy I am doing for this blood disorder thing but at least I am able to sit up and move around a bit. I tell you what I will be so glad to be over with it and it just started...... :roll: But they said it is a 3 part treatment and I will be going in for round two week after next. I did get another industrial W&G machine since I sold my last one a few weeks ago to a lady in Dyersburg. It is a lot nicer and a little newer looking but I need to see if I can get a belt for it and get it to running again. Yes I think this one will remain electrified. :shock: Yep I think I have lost my mind but I want to be able to set this up to where I can put my block strips together really fast! and if I decide to do a stitch in the ditch type of quilting I can do that in a hurry also, to the tune of 4000 stitches a minute. :mrgreen:

But here are a few photos of the rascal....

That machine looks like it could play football...dang!
Congrats and have fun with it!

Billy, I hope all goes well for you. Please rest, that machine isn't going anywhere...it will wait for you when you are better.

I do hope they have identified what type of blood cancer you do have and it can be cured quickly.

If they don't know yet, have them check for Waldenstrom's disease, a rare form of blood cancer.

Rest and eat healthy!!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:46 PM

Here are Kathie's machines! She just got these! I don't know what I did to take out the first message!

Anyway, I think the Challenge is a Davis from the size of the needle. Davis had a machine called the Challenge. National also had a machine called the Challenge, but since Kathie is describing a Davis long needle, I'd venture to guess this Challenge is made by Davis and it is a pre-1900 machine with the wood pitman.

Kathie, the Elite is a 15 clone. You will probably never be able to date that machine, but it will thread and run similar to any other 15.

White also had a badged machine called a 'Challenge VS,' but I don't think that machine is the White version.

Nice finds!

Nancy

The Challenge looks like a National to me.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:48 PM

From John's needle list:

Davis Challenge 1x2 C 1X 10 F FF B 54 17 F;DD;B C 673 Davis [N.S. F.S.]
National Challenge 20x1 E Z 14 J BB C 56 15 J;K E 53 Eldredge F.S.

So if her Challenge takes a 20x1, would that not make it a National made machine?
ACK! I get more confused by the minute...gotta LOVE it! :lol: