Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-31-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Have any of you rewired your machines with success? Is this something I could do safely myself or am I better off paying a professional to do that? I just bought a Singer 15-91 that has cracked rubber wiring. It runs fine and the light works but the rubber casing enclosing the wiring that runs from the motor to where the power cord plugs in is cracked.
DH does mine. The older machines aren't too hard. My BIL shrink wraps wires.
Oh wow - is your Husband good with electric? I'm wondering just how difficult a sewing machine must be. I mean, I'm not like, rewiring a house or anything. But at the same time, I often think those types of things, then get myself into a whole world of mess when I actually take on the project that "couldn't possibly be THAT hard." Lol*

Your BIL wraps the cracked rubber or the actual electrical wires? I suppose on my machine it isn't all that bad, I could probably leave it, but at some point if I can actually get it fixed up nice and neat I think I'll want to tackle that wire so it looks nice and neat too. But right now it's not really hurting anything.
Electricians use a "shrinkwrap" for wiring.... it comes in different sized tubes (you can get it at the box stores, i.e., Home Depot, Lowes, and I imagine hardware stores have it as well)

You slip the tube over the wires and then hit it with heat, either from a heat gun, or you can use a lighter flame.... it shrinks to fit tightly around the connection.

The spousal unit used some to put the "rubber" feet back on one of my picot hemstitchers.... :)
Old 10-31-2011, 06:30 AM
Banned

Billy I have some Touch & Sew manuals if you are interested.

Yes I am PM me and we can work out the details, Thank you!!

Billy
Old 10-31-2011, 06:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Charlee
Billy I have some Touch & Sew manuals if you are interested.
Miriam are you being funny? Are you serious? I don't think Billy cares for those Touch and Throws!

Nancy
Billy posted that he's trying to amass the largest collection of manuals, so he can eventually offer them on his future online website....it's in the classifieds...
Charlee I know, but I really think Miriam is being tongue in cheek funny! Anyway, I took it that she was being funny - maybe not!

Nancy
I am wanting to get them up into the 80's so I can have them for anyone who needs them. I am like most, the Touch and throw was a not so great machine but there might be a church or a person that has one that might need the manual for it. I know many times we have been looking for manuals and have a hard time finding them. I just want to offer up a library resource for them so all you have to do is use the search feature and there you have it. I am hoping to have the largest free library of pre-1900 machines out there. ;)

Billy
Old 10-31-2011, 06:42 AM
Banned

Barkeeper's Friend is less abrasive than is Comet, and was formulated for shining the stainless steel in a bar. Comet, IMO, is too harsh and will leave some major scratches and a dull finish.
I am with you Charlee the Comet is very caustic and would more than likely harm the nickle plating than fix it. I use mainly automotive cleaners and polishes but thats because I have tons of them around here anyway.

I have done the electrolysis cleaning on some really bad pieces and they came out really nice but if they are bad enough I will just give them to my plater and let him refinish them for me.

Billy
Old 10-31-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Yep definitely a Davis Franklin! I would love to get it, though it is missing the drawers on one side, but Highland is down by LA - too far for me to drive!

Nancy
Hi---
I wasn't aware that Davis made Sear's Franklin's. Always thought the early ones were made by Domestic. All Davis machines for Sears and badged that I know of have a "D" followed by serial number on throat plate like the Minnesota's. The Franklin could be the exception however (?).
Jon
Old 10-31-2011, 07:22 AM

Janice, she's lookin' REALLY good!

Did you take the faceplate off? What's under that is fascinating!! :)
I didn't take it off, but I might. The foot is moving kind of sluggish, so I'm wondering if it's gunked up under there.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Just remember never to use anything that is a "Cleaner Wax" it contains pumice and will rape the decals right off the machine!

Billy
Not a problem with this machine...she's already denuded of her decals/painted flowers.
Then if you do Charlee's method it will come out looking like a new penny! But it will take a lot of elbow grease but worth every minute of it. :D

Billy
I'm not convinced of that....there is bare metal showing in spots, and the finish is barely there in a lot of spots.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by mamajack3
I just got the cutest little machine. It is about the size of a featherweight. It has 99 k on it. I looked up the serial # and it was made in 1956. Does anyone out there know anything about these little machines? Value maybe? It is in excellent condition. Thanks in advance.
not particularly valuable. Nice little machine. Heavy. Do you need a manual? http://www.ismacs.net/free-sewing-ma...uals-list.html I have one
I have a 99 I took the old motor off and put a handcrank on. Love it!! It's heavy as an anchor, but fun to sew on. I can take her camping, etc.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
I have a 99 I took the old motor off and put a handcrank on. Love it!! It's heavy as an anchor, but fun to sew on. I can take her camping, etc.
Which reminds me, Janice...where do I get a handcrank for my "new" 66?
Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
This evening while having dinner at church, my DH's good friend, his GF and I were talking. After talking aabout all the snow everyone had, I made mention that because of all the power outages, that that is why I want a treadle sewing machine so I can keep on sewing.

DH's friend says, "I have one up at the house you can have". What! Be still my heart. "What brand is it"? "I don't know. It has a wooden case with several drawers chock full of old buttons and stuff and has a goofy looking rounded top that removes". "Oh, a coffin top". "Yeah, it does look like that". "

I'm going up tomorrow to loook at it. Either way, he is giving it to me and I will take it. I did ask him if he wanted me to make him a quilt and he reminded me I had already made him a fleece blanket that he uses all the time. (He and my DH made me a solid wood porch swing out of old school wooden (mostly oak with a nice piece of wormy chestnut) tongue and groove flooring boards. I made him the blanket as a thank you.)

I asked him if he wanted a valance made for his great room window. He said as long as it has black bears, pine trees, and pinecones, I could do anything I wanted. Woohoo!
I can only hope it is a gem. Will let ya'all know.
Lucky girl!! Can't wait to see what you are getting. Like Christmas!!