Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
I am new to all of this, so if I am about to make myself sound like a total dummy, please forgive me in advance. LOL* I see here you used Bar Keepers Friend to polish the metal, is that a lot different than Comet powder cleanser? Is there any reason I couldn't just use comet on the metal? It does say it cleans stainless steel...thanks! Lol*

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Lostn51
I have been working on my Davis since late afternoon. I took a bunch of pics during the process.
Looking good!!!

Before long you will be making a quilt on it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Billy
Thanks, Billy. It was fun to do. I used Barkeepers Friend to clean all the metal. It worked like magic!! Think I'll put some Turtle Wax on her to help keep the finish intact. It's pretty bad, and I don't want it to deteriorate any further.
Bar Keepers Friend has a mild acid in it that removes the rust and tarnish. You can smell it when you wet it. Comet has too much abrasive stuff in it, I think. I don't use Comet except in my porcelain sink.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I have been working on my Davis since late afternoon. I took a bunch of pics during the process.
Janice, look at page 1178. That is what my Davis looks like now. 'Betty' looked just like your Davis when I got her. After cleaning with Goop - non-pumice -, I applied several coats of Blue Magic TR3 Resin Glaze for cars. She is really slick and shiny now - the picture doesn't do her justice.

Nancy
Thanks, Nancy. I'll ask DH to get that car finish for her. Her finish is really pretty bad, so I want to protect it as much as possible.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Really looking good !!

Texas Jan
Thanks, Jan. She cleaned up not too bad. Still some black old gunk around her screw heads, crevices, etc, but overall she cleaned pretty easily.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Ha. I used Colgate tooth paste with baking soda on some of my chrome pieces - it was covered in smoke or what - came right off - shined up good too... I use it on silverware too...
Great idea. I still have a couple of machines to clean their metal pieces, so I'll try that.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
That's located out around San Bernardino/Redlands area. About a 4 hour drive for me. Too bad I'm just swamped for the next few weeks. That's a great buy on that. :(
Old 10-31-2011, 07:54 AM

Well everyone I bought one of Candace's 319w's yesterday along with all 30 cams but one! I got the pretty green one. I haven't had a chance to try her out yet as I did not get the motor or foot pedal with this machine. I don't need them as I am going to put her in a treadle as soon as we get the light sanding and staining - light refinishing - done on her new treadle. The treadle cabinet I got over the week with the 66 in it just needed some light work due to water rings from those potted plants everyone puts on these treadle cabinets. (I only bought this cabinet because it was in very good shape and I needed it for the 319w!) I will pick up my zig zag plate today! I am soooooo excited to try this machine in the treadle! It is going to be so much fun to treadle a machine with decorative stitches. Now I will be finishing my little Patchabilities on the treadle when I work at home - in class in use my Rocketeer 503a!

Thank you so much Candace! Loved your house - all the goblins and ghosts everywhere!

Nancy
Sounds like great fun, Nancy. Please show her in treadle....can't wait to see it!!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Yep definitely a Davis Franklin! I would love to get it, though it is missing the drawers on one side, but Highland is down by LA - too far for me to drive!

Nancy
I don't thinki it's missing the drawers...they just look pushed in.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Anybody want a bubblegum pink machine???

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/atq/2677383204.html

Texas Jan
I actually researched this model as someone here locally was selling one. I passed because there are plastic innards and gears that are known to crack.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
I have a 99 I took the old motor off and put a handcrank on. Love it!! It's heavy as an anchor, but fun to sew on. I can take her camping, etc.
Which reminds me, Janice...where do I get a handcrank for my "new" 66?
Hi! You can get one from Sew-Classic, if she has any in stock. I got mine off eBay for around $20, and it didn't have that funky Chinese decals on it. Then I had to buy the spoke wheel from Cathy at the TOGA. Does your already have the spoke wheel?
Old 10-31-2011, 08:06 AM

Well everyone I bought one of Candace's 319w's yesterday along with all 30 cams but one! I got the pretty green one. I haven't had a chance to try her out yet as I did not get the motor or foot pedal with this machine. I don't need them as I am going to put her in a treadle as soon as we get the light sanding and staining - light refinishing - done on her new treadle. The treadle cabinet I got over the week with the 66 in it just needed some light work due to water rings from those potted plants everyone puts on these treadle cabinets. (I only bought this cabinet because it was in very good shape and I needed it for the 319w!) I will pick up my zig zag plate today! I am soooooo excited to try this machine in the treadle! It is going to be so much fun to treadle a machine with decorative stitches. Now I will be finishing my little Patchabilities on the treadle when I work at home - in class in use my Rocketeer 503a!

Thank you so much Candace! Loved your house - all the goblins and ghosts everywhere!

Nancy
It was very nice meeting you and your hubby. I know you will show your machine lots of love. I know there are 319 haters out there-think they're too loud and clunky, but they just have something about them that is so cool and fun to use. The only way I'd part with my last one (black) is if another green one fell in my lap:>