Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
Miriam!! YUCK!! Cuts hurt so bad!! Thanks for that link. Besides my 15 clone, someone gave me a DOA 15 that my DH wants to practice working on. He wants to see if he can get it to move...it's frozen stiff right now. I call it bait to reel him into loving the machines as much as I do!! :thumbup: :lol:

Still patiently waiting for my Davis VF to arrive....I am counting the days!! :-)
You can get the 15 unstuck!!! Just don't try to dis-assemble the whole thing. Have him watch Muv's videos. It is so much easier!
Old 10-25-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Miriam!! YUCK!! Cuts hurt so bad!! Thanks for that link. Besides my 15 clone, someone gave me a DOA 15 that my DH wants to practice working on. He wants to see if he can get it to move...it's frozen stiff right now. I call it bait to reel him into loving the machines as much as I do!! :thumbup: :lol:

Still patiently waiting for my Davis VF to arrive....I am counting the days!! :-)
ACK! It's not there YET??? I'd be pacing...thumping my fingers...pacing...eating....pacing... :lol:
Old 10-25-2011, 11:40 AM

Well I know you enablers out there will have an answer. Like I need another 27 Sphinx machine, formerly treadle now motorized, daughter found in a flea market, called me the serial number, and it is the sister of one I already have. Same lot, September 26, 1904. Should I get it? It is $30 marked, not negotiated yet.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Well I know you enablers out there will have an answer. Like I need another 27 Sphinx machine, formerly treadle now motorized, daughter found in a flea market, called me the serial number, and it is the sister of one I already have. Same lot, September 26, 1904. Should I get it? It is $30 marked, not negotiated yet.
Well...do you really need to ask? Of course you must get her. How awesome to have sisters! Even if you gift her to your daughter so each of you have one.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by tropit
I can do that. I believe this machine is not terribly old...Ca. 1980s???? I love the color and the sleek, little package this machine makes.

~ Cindy
Cindy cool looking machine. What makes you think 1980's? Has the owner told you that is the 'about' age? Anyway, it looks vintage to me and Billy has always told us he considers anything from the 70's back vintage. I'd sure get it for $10!

Nancy
Old 10-25-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Uhmmmmmmmmmmm..... YES!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy, My one Davis does that from time to time. Could be numerous situations: either pulling of fabrics, time for more oil, or behind the cover plate all those metal gears needs a good cleaning. Directions on taking the items apart to clean can be found on the Yahoo Davis VF site. I haven't done that yet. I was told to clean the machine, and after cleaning I would be surprised at how much better it stitches and sounds.
Monica, if you remember I spent two months trying to get this machine working originally. I cleaned it thoroughly, was ready to give up on her when she decided to start sewing. Since that time, I have used her exclusively for binding, but I always have to go around my big quilts twice. I just decided to throw it out there to see if anyone else has the same problems with their vertical feed machines?

Nancy
Old 10-25-2011, 01:11 PM

Hope I am ok to change subject and ask, about bobbins
a woman at a quilt shop said only use plastic bobbins,
that metal were not good for sewing machines.

I have a babylock embroidery machine, it seems to work better for me with a metal bobbin. Works smoother, and
better. I also use metal bobbin on my 221-1 singer.
What did you think?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by sherian

I have a babylock embroidery machine, it seems to work better for me with a metal bobbin. Works smoother, and
What did you think?
When did plastic ANYTHING work better than metal???I am surprised anyone likes the plastic, although I think some new sewing machines are made to use plastic bobbins, so probably should follow the manufacturers directions.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sherian

What did you think?
I think the metal bobbins are heavier and work better.