Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-19-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
I have a question for Glenn.

I know that you really like your 66, but I'm having a heck of a time getting used to her. The VSM shop insisted I buy a zig zag foot for the ideal 1/4 inch. I swear it's wrong. I can't keep a steady 1/4 inch seam and I don't know if I'll ever piece on her. Do you have any hints? I do not want to put tape or other adhesive on her. Scared it'll ruin her beautiful finish.

The other question I have, how can you FMQ on a 66 if you can't drop the feed dogs? Is there a plate that goes over it? The guy I got the machine from insisted that you can just remove the feed dogs, but I'm worried that will cause damage to the machine if I don't put them back in right. What would you suggest?

Thank you. I love looking at the pics of your newest acquisition. You've been such a supporter of the 66's I'd hate to see you start using a different machine. :)
I'm not Glenn but I have 3 Redeye 66's and I love them. I use one of those magnetic seam guides you can get at Joanns or Hobby Lobby or some sewing centers. It works just great and if you don't have one, measure your 1/4 inch and put a stack of small sticky notes down. I've done that in a pinch and if it won't stay down for you long enough use some of the blue painters tape, no icky sticky stuff remains. Hope this helps. :lol:
Old 10-19-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by Celeste
Well, phooey! I called about the featherweight posted on here earlier, http://sacramento.craigslist.org/clt/2656346068.html , and she said someone had clued her onto it's value and changed the price to $200 or best offer by - Sunday?.

Was worth a 2 1/2 hour one way drive at $100. . .
Wow, now people on CL are starting their own auctions. I'm sorry but FW are plentiful and always available. Bet you want to bonk "jesse" on the head with a large stick.
You got that right! My sister was about to break down and get it! (She thinks Featherweights are sooooo cute! 8-) )
Old 10-19-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
I want to show you guys another of my new ladies. Her name is Little TX Jan.
Glenn
She's beautiful!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
Look at this featherweight cabinet I found on e-bay. I have never seen anything like it before I love it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ORIGINA...item1c1ffb3c7a :) :) :)
the last one of those I saw sell on ebay went for over $2500...had the machine with it tho... :)
There is a flier up in the Quilt Barn in Puyallup, WA for one of these tables with the 221 in it for $999 or best offer. It has been there for months.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:23 PM

Glenn
WOW - that machine is gorgeous, and the top is SO pretty too...
Old 10-19-2011, 12:33 PM

Oh my goodness this is such a popular topic! Lol* I was gone for only a few days and had a bazillion pages to catch up on. :)

Anyone have pictures they can share of paint jobs they've done on their machines?

Can you paint over a Godzilla/Wrinkle finish? Or do you have to remove it in some way? This Kenmore 58 is turning out to be my "experimenting" machine...I've ripped it apart and put it back together again and now I'm feeling REALLY brave. I don't dare attempt a paint job on one of my "good" machines Lol* but it might be fun to play with this one!
Old 10-19-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Glenn
I think you had me with the first pic of the case! But then I saw the decals. :-D Wow.

What is the spool pin "felt"? It looks like crochet or tatting, not just a felt disk.
Bennett that is a little crochet thing I made to over the spool pin and there is a red felt disk under it.
Glenn
Old 10-19-2011, 01:14 PM

Bennett where in N. Tx are you from I was born in Decatur TX and graduated from HS there before attending North Texas
Glenn
Old 10-19-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Ok so here is the BEAST. I think some paint is in order any suggestions for color or details? Anybody want to adopt?
Purple...the same shade as the wha-cha-ma-thingie in the background of the picture! With paisley decals!
That's my lawn chair... What about putting a red hat on the top piece?
~grin~ Make the old lady a "Red Hatter"? Sure!
We could give everybody a spray can of different colors and make a clown.
Nah...give the ol' girl SOME dignity! :lol:
Spray paint from WM with my luck would rub off on a quilt - U R right, I should probably get her done up right so she doesn't soil anything - maybe DH would let her in the house - not that he would have THAT much say. I kind of like the old girl. She is waiting for a bobbin case I ordered.

Does anybody know if you can FM with one of those? She sure turns fast. Then with the motor going you can't even see the needle. Maybe she should be painted up to look like a low sleek race car?

HHHMMMM Purple with a red hat. I bet she needs a few flowers. She is butt ugly like she is don't you think?
DH suggests that if she's that fast, you ought to put flames on a black shiny body, (uch)
Old 10-19-2011, 03:08 PM

Did it again, with the help of DH. Went to the covered bridge festival in search of a treadle and came home with FOUR more machines, what we call adults as we also picked up three more (kids) children sewing machines.
First came across a Damascus, frozen to the hilt but when the guy said that he'd originally planned to paint it into a tractor, DH grabbed it. There are no #s, so no way of dating this one.
Second came the Sphinx in a case so the hunt was still on. Nov. 8, 1916
I felt we'd had enough, but oh no.......DH raised the bar, and jack pot!!
Two complete treadles and he had to have them both. One is a beautiful 'Free' machine, the other is another Red Eye, Oct. 29,1919. A little bit of cleaning and they're good to go, we think haven't given them any test drives but everything moves rather freely.
He wants me to let you all know the total # of machines stands at 18(adults) and 5 babies.
Charlee....help......he's dragging me back into that deeper water........