Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-18-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Janis
Originally Posted by miriam
ok. so. I'm kind of ignorant of some stuff yet. What all machines came in those rounded wooden lid cases??? I have a line on an unknown with no pic. I know it is electric - she says she plugged her in.
The 99 comes in the bentwood case, but I'm not sure what other ones do, or did you know that already? Maybe the 66?
I googled singers in bentwood cases and these popped up. Does this help?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...+128+15+91+201

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-Vinta...-/290617154011
I have a 128 that came in a bentwood case, too, and it's from the 1940s...so they used them for a long time, looks like. My 99 came in one, too.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

LOL that is what I was thinking.

Originally Posted by hershery
Originally Posted by miriam
mystery machine is in the back of my car and it is raining so I'll open it later - I really like the case
singer 66 with missing parts
Old 10-18-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Look at this cool, retro looking table. Not something I'd feel was sturdy enough for every day, but for travel etc....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fold...b#ht_922wt_908
Oh, I LOVE that table!! But :cry: I don't have another inch of space in my sewing room. No, not even 1/2 inch!!! :cry:
Old 10-18-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
I have a Singer 128 in a domed case. I am looking for a key just in case any of you have an extra one??
Use a small flat head screwdriver...works perfect.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Glenn
Charlee eat your heart out. Here is my lady all cleaned up and ready for a party
Glenn, I think we are all 'eating our hearts out!' What a great job you did - I love your machine, cabinet - the whole package! Enjoy her!

Nancy

Glenn, I don't spend a lot of time in the shop so did I miss the Model of this machine? It looks like a 127, but I have not seen those decals. I thought at first the decals were the 'Rose and Cornflower' because of the green - but, it is not that decal? Do you know what the decals are called?

Charlee can you go to the site we can't mention to see if they have that decal listed?
:) I already did...I went lookin' as soon as I saw the first pics of her! Those decals are the Orange Blossom/Dogwood Painted decals used on the Model 27 rectangular bed, and on the VS3, Model 28 1891 version, and were only used from 1890 to 1894.
I think I confused Nancy by stating to Glenn, enjoy his Singer VS2. My mistake since it isn't a VS2.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Try retheading your machine, try changing your needle, take out the bobbin and put it back in. Kathie
That is one of the problems, I'm not sure how to thread the bobbin through. And it really need a deep cleaning. But it's too wet to take it outside and give it a bath.
When you put your bobbin make sure the thread is coming from the top of the bobbin and bring it towards you. Put it throught the slit in the bobbin case and bring the thread to the back of the machine. It threads just like the bobbin on the new machines. Kathie[/quote]

I have found manuals and full instructions for every Singer machine I have for free on ISMaCS or other site. You have to have the needle in the right way, and thread the needle correctly for it to pick up the bobbin thread...when I first tried my 66 in treadle, I couldn't get it to pick up the bobbin thread...until one of the wonderful people here told me exactly how to put the needle in and thread it. First try after that it worked!![/quote]

Thanks I haven't been able to get to them again. family drama is really annoying me!
I will check though
How do I save these tips, when I bookmark them it saves the topic not the page.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:45 AM

What do you guys know about New Vassar treadles? A lady in my town has one she'd like to sell. I don't know anything about them though.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:57 AM

Oh the the suspense :shock: :shock: :shock: Can hardly wait to see what is inside.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I have my Free in treadle sitting in my garage since I have no space in the house. After I get the treadle fixed, I plan to sit it outside on nice days so that I can work outside. I know that it will be heavy carrying it from house to patio, but I prefer treadling over using a HC.
Monica, are you saying you are going to move your Free # 5 treadle in and out of the house? I too perfer a treadle to a handcrank, but I'd be afraid if I put one of my treadles outside I'd forget to bring it in and the dew would ruin it.

Nancy
I don't plan to leave it outside. Just on warm, sunny days, I thought it would be fun to treadle outdoors under the patio umbrella. The machine would be brought in at the end of the day. I would hate to ruin the machine by leaving it out over night.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 AM

? I am sure you heard a million times, but could you answer
one more time. How do I get the date of my 222-1 singer sewing machine, it is from my mother in law, she had it maybe 60 yrs. old. Used it maybe 2 yrs. at most,
she can't sew bought it for a neighbor to make mil clothes.
Now it is mine. Would love to know dated made.
Enjoy the wonderful day thanks!