Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Sede_Mae
So am I correct to assume that if it says "low shank for 221 Featherweight" ... I would be safe ? thank you very much :-)
For the most part, yes. I do know that my sister has our mother's FW, and the ruffler in that case does NOT fit the machine...

In most cases tho, any vintage low shank attachments will work.
Thanks again Charlee :-)
Old 10-19-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
We have all enjoyed seeing Glenn's beautiful restored machines. I'm here to show off one of mine tonight. She started off being called a "boat anchor" because the man that had her thought that was all she was worth. I wanted to see what I could do with her. When researching her manufacturing date, I was told she is actually a rare White Rotary machine, made September 10, 1903. When White began to make their Rotary, the serial number was completely numbers. The slide plate was a rectangle. These were made for only 8 years. They have a different bobbin case that is quite rare and an extremely rare wooden hand hole cover. As luck would have it, my machine has her bobbin cover and the only piece of her cabinet that I have is the wooden hand hole cover. The later White rotary machines were called White Family Rotary, and their serial numbers all start with the letters FR. They have a different slide plate that is called a tee shirt shaped plate.
When I found out what a treasure she was, I decided to just leave her damaged decals and restore to as good a natural state as I could. Now I am looking for a White cabinet where she can hopefully sew again. She can't be beautiful, but she can sure shine.

Texas Jan
Jan it really came out nice. You did a great job on her
Glenn
Old 10-19-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
[
Texas Jan
Glenn[/quote]

Thanks Glenn. She has a good history to learn from.

Texas Jan
Old 10-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Power Poster

I've recently purchased a lovely 15-91 at an auction. It's all there except for the button on the foot controller. Just that button you step on is missing! I hate to buy a whole new foot control just for that, especially when the rest of it and the wiring is really good. What are my chances of finding the button I could put on my foot?
Old 10-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

We have all enjoyed seeing Glenn's beautiful restored machines. I'm here to show off one of mine tonight. She started off being called a "boat anchor" because the man that had her thought that was all she was worth. I wanted to see what I could do with her. When researching her manufacturing date, I was told she is actually a rare White Rotary machine, made September 10, 1903. When White began to make their Rotary, the serial number was completely numbers. The slide plate was a rectangle. These were made for only 8 years. They have a different bobbin case that is quite rare and an extremely rare wooden hand hole cover. As luck would have it, my machine has her bobbin cover and the only piece of her cabinet that I have is the wooden hand hole cover. The later White rotary machines were called White Family Rotary, and their serial numbers all start with the letters FR. They have a different slide plate that is called a tee shirt shaped plate.
When I found out what a treasure she was, I decided to just leave her damaged decals and restore to as good a natural state as I could. Now I am looking for a White cabinet where she can hopefully sew again. She can't be beautiful, but she can sure shine.

Texas Jan
Wow, Jan, that is one of the most amazing clean-up jobs I've ever seen. You're gooooooood.... How great that you rescued a rare machine and gave her new life.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
Look at this featherweight cabinet I found on e-bay. I have never seen anything like it before I love it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ORIGINA...item1c1ffb3c7a :) :) :)
the last one of those I saw sell on ebay went for over $2500...had the machine with it tho... :)

There is a flier up in the Quilt Barn in Puyallup, WA for one of these tables with the 221 in it for $999 or best offer. It has been there for months.

Really? I'll have to go to the Quilt Barn and check it out. I just fell in love with it. Thanks for the info.

:)
Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Candace
Look at this cool, retro looking table. Not something I'd feel was sturdy enough for every day, but for travel etc....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fold...b#ht_922wt_908
Oh, I LOVE that table!! But :cry: I don't have another inch of space in my sewing room. No, not even 1/2 inch!!! :cry:
Did you notice that the seller thinks a FW can be used with that table with just a bit of tweaking? :roll:
Sharon, I noticed what the ad said! I guess those sellers just think we are all pretty gullible!

Nancy
Problem is....I have an Elna Supermatic that I think probably would go in that table, and now I r e a l l y w a n t i t!!! WAHHHHH!!!
You going to bid on it?
NO!!! I don't have room for it....wish I did!!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:11 PM

I want to show you guys another of my new ladies. Her name is Little TX Jan.
Glenn
Wow, Glenn, that one is just stunningly beautiful!!! What a piece of art she is!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 PM

Texas Jan
Glenn
She sure did clean up good...can't wait to see her sewing.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:12 AM

. . .I decided to just leave her damaged decals and restore to as good a natural state as I could.

She can't be beautiful, but she can sure shine.

Texas Jan
That is an amazing transformation!