Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-14-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Now I am an enabler there is a Jones handcrank for $9.99 on ebay. Strange thing, all the pics are of the back of the machine. The decals are gorgeous. It's in California.
Ok, I went to e-bay to look at this Jones. It is one of my dream machines! That is the Jones I want! I sent an e-mail to see where in California this machine in located as I don't want it shipped -- if I can win it!

Nancy
Old 05-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by jtapp9
http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGER-401A-401-...item1e62c3e570

Do you think this is worth $125. I offered $100 and he counter offered. I don't really mind that price but then the shipping is $37.

I really wanted the 500 but from what I'm reading the only difference is the looks...this is still cheaper than the 500's and I can learn to live without the space age look..lol
I love my 503a -- love the looks of it and everything about it, but the bobbin winder -- and I got mine at a barn sale for $10 (pictured page 683)! Those old girls have really been coming up in price now that people have 'discovered' that machine! I only use mine for decorative stitches, but love the machine!

Nancy
I like the 503, too. Pretty cool machine. I wonder why your bobbin winder doesn't work right. I can see how it could be a pain in the butt... Is the spring still there and installed correctly? Does it have the right tire? Are you stringing it according to the manual? Once we got hers figures out, the 503 I gave to my DIL winds very nice. I guess you could always wind it on something else though. Details.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:28 AM

Bojangles, I'm glad you're checking on the Jones handcrank. I knew someone wanted one and the listing is up today. I wish the front was pictured. Hope the decals are not too worn.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:53 AM

Have just been given the opportunity to buy a Singer Style-Mate Model # 347. It's turqouise in color and price is $25.00. Worth it?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
After reading your conversation on FM quilting with the 66, I realized that I had never tried to FM with my Lotus 66-1, and I even have that embroidery cover. Now, you got me wanting to play with my Lotus 66 again. :) Another project for the summer; maybe I will make some mug rugs or bday cards while trying to FM with the 66-1.
lol... Yes. Glenn has sparked my interest in quilting with the 66. I have that cover plate too, I believe it's the same as the darner one. Or at least my darner one is close to it.

Glenn, what do you use for a foot on your 66 to FMQ! A 'big foot', hopping embroidery foot, darner foot, or the embroidery foot that came with that plate???
Mostly I use the quiltling foot but I have used a regular foot and embroidery foot, The quilting foot has a wider V opening so less likely to hit with the needle. Don't force the feeding of the quilt under the foot or you will break needles. With a little practice you will feel the rhythm of the machine and will feed accordingly. Glenn
Old 05-14-2011, 09:34 AM

I purchased a Featherweight on Craig's List for $50.00. I think it is the Centennial model. I'm shaking it is so hard to type and think!! It has the blue emblem the serial number is AJ 815333. It is in beautiful condition. OMG!!Is this for real?? Please help to verify. I think sometimes the badges have been changed. How much would this machine be worth?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Bojangles, I'm glad you're checking on the Jones handcrank. I knew someone wanted one and the listing is up today. I wish the front was pictured. Hope the decals are not too worn.
Hi, I was curious to see this one and the only one I found was going for $12 something presently and ending later on today. It states It doesn't have the crank and if you scroll down on the page that it's listed on it has many photos showing all side of the machine. It is a beautiful machine..I'm just curious as to why it's not higher at this point in time. There will probably be a bunch of bidding at the end. Is this the one? Good luckto whoever wants it. I hope you get it. Anne
Old 05-14-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Suzy
I don't drop the feed dogs and I get a much nicer stitch. I use either the teflon slider or better yet a piece of clear vinyl that I purchase from wal-mart .. Cut the size you want to cover over the bed of the machine and make an opening big enough for the needle to go through the vinyl, keeping the feed dogs covered with the vinyl. Tape the vinyl down with clear shipping tape or lately I'm using blue painters tape just to keep it flat when moving the quilt around. Leah Day has very good tips and videos on her site I think it is daystyledesigns.com. Not positive on that but try it and watch some of her videos, they are so helpful. When doing a large quilt I cover a big share of my table with vinyl.

Suzy
Cool! I'm going to give this a try. I'll just use the blue painters tape on my cabinets and not machine.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
I love my 503a -- love the looks of it and everything about it, but the bobbin winder -- and I got mine at a barn sale for $10 (pictured page 683)! Those old girls have really been coming up in price now that people have 'discovered' that machine! I only use mine for decorative stitches, but love the machine!

Nancy

I like the 503, too. Pretty cool machine. I wonder why your bobbin winder doesn't work right. I can see how it could be a pain in the butt... Is the spring still there and installed correctly? Does it have the right tire? Are you stringing it according to the manual? Once we got hers figures out, the 503 I gave to my DIL winds very nice. I guess you could always wind it on something else though. Details.
The bobbin winder works great, but to keep it from being engaged all the time, I have a rubber band holding it over! And no, the bobbin winder kick out spring is missing. I ordered one, but can't figure out how to install it. I will take it in to our local sewing repair guy one of these days so he can install that spring!

Nancy
Old 05-14-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by quilter711
I purchased a Featherweight on Craig's List for $50.00. I think it is the Centennial model. I'm shaking it is so hard to type and think!! It has the blue emblem the serial number is AJ 815333. It is in beautiful condition. OMG!!Is this for real?? Please help to verify. I think sometimes the badges have been changed. How much would this machine be worth?
If you got the centennial and it is an authentic FW, not a reproduction, YOU GOT A STEAL! Geeze Louise! What a deal you got! That machine here would be about $500!

Nancy