Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-14-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey
Originally Posted by irishrose
Bojangles, I'm glad you're checking on the Jones handcrank. I knew someone wanted one and the listing is up today. I wish the front was pictured. Hope the decals are not too worn.
Hi, I was curious to see this one and the only one I found was going for $12 something presently and ending later on today. It states It doesn't have the crank and if you scroll down on the page that it's listed on it has many photos showing all side of the machine. It is a beautiful machine..I'm just curious as to why it's not higher at this point in time. There will probably be a bunch of bidding at the end. Is this the one? Good luckto whoever wants it. I hope you get it. Anne
Anne, that is the one, and yes, I bet the bidding goes crazy at the end of the day!

Nancy

Ok it is already up to $45.44!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:27 AM

Honchey, you're right. There are pics of the front . Either they've been added or I was out of it last night. I love the roses.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:01 AM

[quote=BoJangles]
Originally Posted by PJisChaos
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

I would love to see your treadle wall hanging that you started. Please post here. A number of us love to see more than the machines, quilting projects too!

Have fun treadling! :)
Love the quilt top! I didn't realize you were piecing the machines, I figured you were using a panel! I'd love to have that pattern - who makes the pattern? I could make that quilt with the colors of my machines!

Nancy
It is an old pattern from Mumm's the Word (Debbie Mumm) from 1989 called 'All Sewed Up'. It may have also been in one of her early books.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by miriam
I love my 503a -- love the looks of it and everything about it, but the bobbin winder -- and I got mine at a barn sale for $10 (pictured page 683)! Those old girls have really been coming up in price now that people have 'discovered' that machine! I only use mine for decorative stitches, but love the machine!

Nancy

I like the 503, too. Pretty cool machine. I wonder why your bobbin winder doesn't work right. I can see how it could be a pain in the butt... Is the spring still there and installed correctly? Does it have the right tire? Are you stringing it according to the manual? Once we got hers figures out, the 503 I gave to my DIL winds very nice. I guess you could always wind it on something else though. Details.
The bobbin winder works great, but to keep it from being engaged all the time, I have a rubber band holding it over! And no, the bobbin winder kick out spring is missing. I ordered one, but can't figure out how to install it. I will take it in to our local sewing repair guy one of these days so he can install that spring!

Nancy
you could order a service manual on line for about $10- it has how to do the spring
Old 05-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by busygranny
Have just been given the opportunity to buy a Singer Style-Mate Model # 347. It's turqouise in color and price is $25.00. Worth it?
I would pass if it is one of the machines with a belt running horizontal under the machine bed. If it has set around it's probably ready to blow. Cost a lot to fix because they have to be timed after putting on a new belt. Learned the hard way. They are pretty though... If it has plastic gears, I would pass. Look for a machine with metal gears and machined parts rather than stamped parts.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:45 AM

What can anyone tell me about 404 and 405's? Do they NOT take any kind of cams and will only do a straight stitch? At least I think that is what i was reading about the 404. Can't find anythng on the 405.

I started emailing someone from Craigslist who stated they have various machines from parts to working condition and when she emailed me direct I realized it was the woman I bought my black 301 from a few months ago! I know she has a tan 301 that I can probably talk down from the $100 price on and she has a 404 and 405 but I don't really need them if they are only straight stitchers. She is/was a seamstress alterations person.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by quilter711
I purchased a Featherweight on Craig's List for $50.00. I think it is the Centennial model. I'm shaking it is so hard to type and think!! It has the blue emblem the serial number is AJ 815333. It is in beautiful condition. OMG!!Is this for real?? Please help to verify. I think sometimes the badges have been changed. How much would this machine be worth?
If you got the centennial and it is an authentic FW, not a reproduction, YOU GOT A STEAL! Geeze Louise! What a deal you got! That machine here would be about $500!

Nancy
How can you tell if you have a reproduction? Can you tell if I post a picture? I am still not believing this!!

Quiilter711
Nancy
Old 05-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

The 404s are a really cool straight stitch machine. They are similar and just as good as a 301, less expensive (less demand) but have the advantage of a drop in bobbin. (No shuttle to loose.) They are about the same size as the 301, too. There is no carry handle either. No they don't do the decorative stitches like the 401 or 403 but in my opinion they are a good solid machine. It was my choice for my granddaughters to learn to sew on. They can easily graduate to a 401 or a 403 or a 500 or a 503 some day. The 404 is easy to operate - not much to mess up. I love the slant needle - so much easier to see what you are doing than most machines.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:07 PM

Thank you for the info. Will pass on it.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:46 PM

First thing, Thanks Kwendt for the website.

Went garage saleing today, got a singer in wooden cabient for $10. According to the serial # AJ240219, it a model 66 made in 1949. Not in too bad shape, missing the pin for the thread spool, turns free and has alot of grim, but that can be cleaned. Also went to an auction with a 201 in cabient on it, really looked good and clean, went for $80, I didn't have enough with me for that, will know better next time. Lee