Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-20-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
The mystery machine.

While looking last night on CL, I saw this post. I sent an email asking for information on the machine and treadle. The response back was that it has 6 drawers. I was like- yeah like no duh, I can see that. Geez, sometimes I wonder if folks really wish to sell their items. Well, I'm looking for a treadle cabinet for my Two Spools.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/gms/2223106442.html

I will post a photo of just machine.

Does anyone know what type of treadle cabinet this may be?

So, after some research, I think the cabinet is the one seen with an Elgin machine, and that could be an Elgin, which is really a Free. The cabinet looks like a Mission style.
Some people just have no clue about anything sewing related. :( :shock: :roll:
Old 02-20-2011, 01:12 PM

VM;

Gotta love those CL's ads. I've called on a couple of machines in a cabinet where all they post is a cabinet. One said they didn't know how to open the cabinet so couldn't tell me and another said that it was a working sewing machine. Added, "Aren't all machines the same?" Didn't get either one as both wanted too much money with zero info. My sister today offered me a free machine. The catch is I have to pick it up and she lives in CT and I'm in KS. What a deal and yet another person who sadly knows nothing about the machine except that it's a sewing machine. Love her anyway.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
vintagemotif,
Those treadle irons look just like mine, they are for an Elgin treadle and made by the Free company.
My set powers my Singer 15-90 treadle, its got a top from a Singer coffin top(the original Singer irons had a bad pitman rod).
Sharon W.
Thank you! I thought so! I spent an hour trying to figure out those irons. The cabinet that goes with the Elgin and irons looks very pretty, a Mission look. The only problem is that an Elgin cabinet will not fit a Two Spools. I think it is the Damascus cabinet that will fit the National Two Spools.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by merry
Billy, Just bought a 1935 (?) singer treadle model 15 but can't find any information about it. Tried singer manual & user guides without any luck. Serial # is AF022529. Can you advise me?
Thanks
Here is the link to Singer: http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_2letter.html
Thanks so much.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
VM;

Gotta love those CL's ads. I've called on a couple of machines in a cabinet where all they post is a cabinet. One said they didn't know how to open the cabinet so couldn't tell me and another said that it was a working sewing machine. Added, "Aren't all machines the same?" Didn't get either one as both wanted too much money with zero info. My sister today offered me a free machine. The catch is I have to pick it up and she lives in CT and I'm in KS. What a deal and yet another person who sadly knows nothing about the machine except that it's a sewing machine. Love her anyway.
I do wonder why some folks bother to even post. I jut love the posts that state, see my machine or machine works great, and all that is pictured is a very minuscule photo of a cabinet.

That is an expensive machine with the price of gas these days and the tolls. :wink:
Old 02-20-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
VM;
My sister today offered me a free machine. The catch is I have to pick it up and she lives in CT and I'm in KS. What a deal.
That is an expensive machine with the price of gas these days and the tolls. :wink:
I am aware of just how expensive it would be but I'd be many miles and states closer to Keepsake Quilting in NH. :) Plus, I doubt DH would appreciate yet another machine in our home.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:44 PM

Sorry about the double post. Operator head space error. :mrgreen:
Old 02-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Wow Billy those machines are gorgeous! A question, what did you refinish the table on the 24 with? And after redoing the little table, can you still read what was inscribed on that table? My Wilcox & Gibbs little table is really in bad shape and I wondered if I get it re-chromed would those patented dates, etc., show?

Nancy
I had it powder coated and you can still read the lettering no problem at all. Now they have a powder coat that mimics Chrome and its hard to tell from the real thing. But this was the closest I could get to Nickle Plate at the time.

Billy
Old 02-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Banned

Billy,

That pink machine is very pink! It reminds me of pepto bismol color. For me that is the wake-me-up color. That machine needs a special cabinet. I love the Rootbeer color, and your car is beautiful!
I did that machine in a Barbie Pink and it was for a little girls Christmas present last year. I have a 185K just like it that I am going to paint the same way because in person you cant help but to fall in love with it. But it was the cutest thing to see her using the machine and the look on her face when she saw it was priceless!

Billy
Old 02-20-2011, 04:02 PM

I have used plain old white vinegar, soaked for a short time and rinsed & dried well. Vinegar is acidic and does take off the minor rust problems, AND it's non-toxic. I couldn't find Evaporust anywhere here.[/quote]

Will apple cider vingar work? Kathie