Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Here is a 66-3 that I am watching right now. This is one of the machines that is on my wish list and I wish it had a buy it now button.

eBay # 250786443241

Billy
Wow... I've never seen one in a box, like a portable. Is it motorized, then? The decals look absolutely mint. Maybe no one sewed on it much. Beautiful!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Power Poster

Here are the correct attachments for your 66-1 and at a hell of a steal at that!!!

eBay# 180635700766

Billy
Still no plain presser foot in that collection, like she is looking for...
Old 03-10-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Here are the correct attachments for your 66-1 and at a hell of a steal at that!!!

eBay# 180635700766

Billy
I wonder if I could use the quilting foot without the guide until I find a regular one???
Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kwendt
Here is a 66-3 that I am watching right now. This is one of the machines that is on my wish list and I wish it had a buy it now button.

eBay # 250786443241

Billy
Why the 3?
The 66-3 is a Handcrank version of the Backclamp.

Billy
Old 03-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

eBay# 180635700766

Billy
Yeah but it might take several years to locate that grouping of attachments and just on foot is worth that.

Billy
Old 03-10-2011, 09:25 PM

[quote=Lostn51][quote=kwendt][quote=Lostn51]Here is a 66-3 that I am watching right now. This is one of the machines that is on my wish list and I wish it had a buy it now button.

eBay # 250786443241

Billy

Why the 3?

The 66-3 is a Handcrank version of the Backclamp.

Wow Billy that Lotus is beautiful! In one view, you can almost see the HC, but what is a Backclamp? There is obviously no motor on that machine.

Nancy
Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 PM

Billy,
On that Ebay box of attachments, isn't the single foot on the machine that they are showing a side clamp foot? or am I looking at it wrong. . . all the others I can tell are back clamp for sure. Just curious, also can a jointed foot work on the 66-1? the one that was on mine (may not be the correct one) was a solid foot, but I haven't been able to get the fabric to move through either. . .I think it needs new feed dogs, but maybe it's the wrong foot also. What do you think could that cause the fabric not to move through?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:42 PM

Now THAT'S a machine I'd love to have! (Your machine, that is!) Beautiful. Thanks! That MUST be the greyhound machine I saw referenced. Funny though, that it's actually a later machine...after New Home was bought out by other company's.
Thank you, but New Home went strong until about - I think 1937 or so - Even after Free bought New Home, they still made the New Home machines for a while.

Here is a dating site for the New Home through 1930. http://www.ismacs.net/newhome/manufacture_dates.html

One of the members here I believe dated my New Home by calling that number.

Nancy
Old 03-10-2011, 10:30 PM

Now THAT'S a machine I'd love to have! (Your machine, that is!) Beautiful. Thanks! That MUST be the greyhound machine I saw referenced. Funny though, that it's actually a later machine...after New Home was bought out by other company's.
Ok you peeked my curiosity, so I have done some research on New Home. Yes New Home was bought out by Free Sewing Machine Company in 1927, but New Home still operated as a subsidiary of Free until 1960. In 1960 the then president of New Home, announced that New Home was purchased from Free by Janome Sewing Machine Co LTd of Japan. I knew that Janome had something to do with New Home, but really didn't understand the relationship until now!

http://www.google.com/search?q=new+h...=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_en#q=new+home+sewing +machine+company+history&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:e n-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&prmd=ivns&tbs=tl:1&tbo=u& ei=Ab55TdPOGIXxrAHel-HgBQ&sa=X&oi=timeline_result&ct=title&resnum=11&ve d=0CF4Q5wIwCg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=a50d8bbb40 89c98a

Here is some history if you want to look.

Nancy
Old 03-10-2011, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I found a Graybar electric machine today at an antique store near me. The lady only wants $50 for the machine, and it looks to be in great shape. I had never heard of a Graybar so did some research today. It seems Graybar was an actual company - still is - but, they made consumer products, including sewing machines from 1926 until 1934 when they succumbed to the Depression and discontinued their own lines of consumer products. Does anyone have a Graybar? Since they were only made for a few years, I'd think they are not real common.

Nancy
Nancy,

I picked up a free Graybar last fall. The lady giving the machine away told me it was a National. That bit of information had me researching Graybar and National machines. Researching machines can lead to other machines and rescuing them. I then realized that a machine that had been sitting on CL for a couple of months was a National Two Spools. My Ms. Graybar led me to my cowboy, Mr. Two Spools. Well, My Graybar's electrical cord was shot; so, I haven't gotten that repaired- and most likely will not since I'm into the treadles. The cleaned up machine now sits on a shelf looking very pretty.

Does the machine that you are interested in look like mine?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-133228.jpe