Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-07-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by jtapp9

So, does anyone think a sphinx is worth $115 in cabinet? The decals are in very good shape.
I do. Considering that you've said machines are expensive in that area, and seeing the prices on some of them you listed, then yes. I'd pay $115 for a machine with really good decals.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:07 PM

[quote=BoJangles][quote=Charlee] I am sticking to my guns that, that Challenge is either a Davis or a National!

Nancy

Ok I just compared Kathie's Challenge cabinet to my Davis Vertical Feed, and the two cabinets have the exact same drawer pulls! The cabinets look almost alike too!

Nancy

OK, I'm calling it a Davis now. Here is why:
http://www.cdthayer.com/imagessm/Machine217_01.jpg
http://www.cdthayer.com/ThayerRagsMachinesAs-IsA-E.htm

Thank you cdthayer!

This looks like a Davis ME Unique. Scroll down to Davis ME and do a comparison.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 PM

The second spool holder is under the machine where there would usually be a bobbin or shuttle!

Nancy[/quote]

Sounds like a logical way to make a sewing machine.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
The second spool holder is under the machine where there would usually be a bobbin or shuttle!

Nancy
Sounds like a logical way to make a sewing machine.[/quote]

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-2.htm

Scroll down to my photos of my Two Spools machine on this page: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-2.htm

I wish they still made some machines this way. It would save time. I should update this photo. The thread is a mess in this photo, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-238236.png  
Old 08-07-2011, 10:51 PM

My friend bought a singer # D1363943, singer says it is a 28-3. I can not find a manuel for it, it has a round bobbin standing upright not a shuttle. And it is in a treadel cabinet. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
I was wondering if anyone here is a member of any of the Yahoo groups for vintage machines. I am thinking about joining, but I feel uncomfortable with all the info they ask about. The problem is I am not finding much info on how to actually take apart the motor on my 500a or how to check the brushes on it and my 301. Any thoughts?
Hi Neighbor... sorta! I raised my kids in the Kirkland area. :-D
Old 08-07-2011, 10:59 PM

I love the table top on your industrial. Man, 4000 spm is flyin' down the highway!

Hope you feel better soon. Will be praying for you.

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hey kids the boss is back in the shop for a minute to check up on things. I have been really sick from this Chemo/Radiation therapy I am doing for this blood disorder thing but at least I am able to sit up and move around a bit. I tell you what I will be so glad to be over with it and it just started...... :roll: But they said it is a 3 part treatment and I will be going in for round two week after next. I did get another industrial W&G machine since I sold my last one a few weeks ago to a lady in Dyersburg. It is a lot nicer and a little newer looking but I need to see if I can get a belt for it and get it to running again. Yes I think this one will remain electrified. :shock: Yep I think I have lost my mind but I want to be able to set this up to where I can put my block strips together really fast! and if I decide to do a stitch in the ditch type of quilting I can do that in a hurry also, to the tune of 4000 stitches a minute. :mrgreen:

But here are a few photos of the rascal....
:-D
Old 08-08-2011, 12:42 AM

Billy, we're rooting for a "quick fix" for you!

(Stupid Copperhead!) :thumbdown:
Old 08-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by sew wishful
Just gotta ask....is 3 in 1 oil not good for machines? How about cleaning them??
It is a paraffin based oil and will leave a build up after so many years. You need a good sewing machine oil and Walmart sells Singer brand oil. I buy mine by the gallons and I will have to see what I pay for it but it is not much $35 or so.

Billy
Walmart sells it??? I was just there and have not seen any! What about the gear grease? Or motor grease?
The gear grease you can either get it at Hancocks or Joanns (Singer brand) or you can go to NAPA and buy Tri-Flow and use that. I swear by Tri-Flow its a synthetic grease and will not hurt any vintage gearing or motors.

Billy
I found Tri-Flow in a bicycle shop
Old 08-08-2011, 02:34 AM

Need some help please???? I want to date a Royal Super Deluxe Precision Built antique sewing machine. Here is the info I do have: SN JN246695 and below that on the frame is K-56.

It is a beatiful turquoise in color and comes in a simple 4 leg cabinet. Not sure if cabinet is original to it.

I'm going to pick it up later today. I understand that everything on it moves freely so I'm anxious to see how it sews.

I also need a manual, preferably free. LOL

Thanks for your help!