Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-08-2011, 07:25 AM

Here is a real Treasure. Never saw one before.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/atq/2533382930.html
Old 08-08-2011, 07:40 AM

[quote=deplaylady][quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
The second spool holder is under the machine where there would usually be a bobbin or shuttle!

Nancy

Sounds like a logical way to make a sewing machine.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-2.htm

Scroll down to my photos of my Two Spools machine on this page: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-2.htm

I wish they still made some machines this way. It would save time. I should update this photo. The thread is a mess in this photo, sorry.

Thread mess or not - that is the coolest thing I've ever seen! I always wondered what a Two Spools was! That would save tons of time!
Monica, I did not realize you have the same two, Two Spools! The Eldredge Two Spools and the National Two Spools. My Eldredge is pictured on page 9 of the photo shop. I need to do what you did and re-post the Eldredge along with the National so people can see the two together!

Nancy
Old 08-08-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Deplaylady, what great memories! I took Home Ec in high school and got a 'D' because the teacher swore I did not put the zipper in my skirt by myself! She didn't believe me when I told her I had been sewing already for years! My Mom was always making something, which made me want to sew from the time I was very little!

Nancy
Nancy, I can identify with this! My mom was a home ec. and science teacher while Dad was away in the war. When he came home, she quit teaching to be home with the family. So I learned to sew at 9 (officially - did little tasks for Mom before that). My jr. high home ec. teacher did not believe my proficiency level. So she insisted I get my mom there for a conference! I refused to take home ec. in high school.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I just talked to the shopgoodwill.com guy at Rochester and asked about the reserve prices on the sewing machines. He said they got the reserve prices by checking the internet and seeing what people are getting (asking) for them (meaning CL listings and the buy it now on eBay.) Problem is they aren't taking into account that the items aren't tested and sometimes are missing bobbin cases and bits. He also said they aren't relisting as much as they used to, maybe I need to head out to the stores to see if they put the machines back on the floors and with what prices. You never know - there's always 1/2 price day!
I'll have to call our Goodwill. I've never seen a sign for half price day.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom

Deplaylady, what great memories! I took Home Ec in high school and got a 'D' because the teacher swore I did not put the zipper in my skirt by myself! She didn't believe me when I told her I had been sewing already for years! My Mom was always making something, which made me want to sew from the time I was very little!

Nancy
Nancy, I can identify with this! My mom was a home ec. and science teacher while Dad was away in the war. When he came home, she quit teaching to be home with the family. So I learned to sew at 9 (officially - did little tasks for Mom before that). My jr. high home ec. teacher did not believe my proficiency level. So she insisted I get my mom there for a conference! I refused to take home ec. in high school.
Thank heavens, I never had to take home ec.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 AM

In my zeal to oil my recently acquired 301A, I put sewing machine oil in the motor tube, and then learned I should have used lubricant. I got some lubricant and tried to put that in, but it did not seem as though there was room to put any in. What should I do?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by Quilt Mom

Nancy
Thank heavens, I never had to take home ec.
:lol: I couldn't stand the old snag that taught Home Ec...I took woodshop instead!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:42 AM

Silly Seller!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/atq/2535535097.html

:shock: :shock: :lol:
Old 08-08-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Johnny I thought we agreed not to tell any one our secrets and no you know I have not painted the house yet but did get the porch painted today and still had time to clean up the cabinet and some repairs. The cabinet no longer wobbles. It was a pleasure to meet you this weekend at the Tn TOGA. I will be prepared for next year. Glenn
Other than saving money and stockpiling Ibuprophen, I don't think there's any way to be prepared for the TOGA! It was great to meet you as well!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Wow!! $400 and you still have more to go. I wish I lived closer. Happy to see that you survived and were able to make it to the TN TOGA.
That was from mostly small--25 cents to a couple of dollars--items. I sold one sewing rocker and a couple of 10$ items, the rest was small stuff.
I swear I'm never doing it again, though!