Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1181 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 181 681 1081 1131 1171 1180 1181 1182 1191 1231 1281 1681 ... LastLast
Results 29,501 to 29,525 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    My model 66 is in a cabinet just a bit darker than this one. I vote 66.
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Randa

Blog Entries
    I've just been asked where to find info on a Waltham rotary. Anyone??
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Randa

Blog Entries
    201 gets my vote. More and more interesting stuff we find/see on here.
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Bennett,

looks like a light color, thick base. I guess a 206 or 306.

Cathy

Charlee,

Thanks. Glad to meet you , too and everyone else.

Cathy

You know, I'm lucky to get that much out of a really nice hand crank or treadle. These people need to make contact with reality!!
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    Here's another dreamer trying to sell a treadle machine in really poor condition.

http://austin.craigslist.org/atq/2722383107.html
    Miz Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
    You know, I'm lucky to get that much out of a really nice hand crank or treadle. These people need to make contact with reality!!
    That one has been rode hard and put away wet. Too bad. But way too much money for her.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Attempting to upload some photos of my New Home for Texas Jan. The bed decal on this one is actually pretty good, so took a close up. It was actually that bed decal that caused me to go over budget on this one!! (I know, I know; but there's no reasoning with a collector.)
    It's beautiful! I just got a New Home today, it's called a 'light-running New Home sewing machine" on the manual, and it's in the No. 4 style treadle base. Serial number is 272868 - any way to date it?

I actually went to look at 3 machines, a friend of mine's SIL was clearing out his grandmother's house. Original, there was 4, one was a gray Singer Sewhandy, but said he decided it was cute and was going to keep it. The other two machines were White family rotaries, both electric, I'm looking for hand cranks lately (not sure how the New Home slipped in there.) I offered $40 for the New Home, it came with drawers full of stuff, an extra shuttle to a different machine, it's own attachments plus a puzzle box for a Singer 27/28. Decals weren't all that great shape, but I offered him $40 for it - I figured I could sell the parts if it didn't work out. Plus her told me he had another child's German toy machine - like new in the box that his Grandmother gave his sister - and he has no problem selling. Also he rethought the sewhandy and decided that he would be willing to sell that too, it is just sitting on his self looking cute. I told him to call if he decides to sell and I'd look at them. At least these would be SMALL - and hand cranks.

Pictures - #1- cabinet before spa, #2 - machine before spa (no idea what was in center, but it wasn't a painting!), #3 - machine (Aunt Pearl, after woman who owned it) after a little TLC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by deplaylady; 12-29-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: id pictures

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=deplaylady;4823030]It's beautiful! I just got a New Home today, it's called a 'light-running New Home sewing machine" on the manual, and it's in the No. 4 style treadle base. Serial number is 272868 - any way to date it?

http://www.ismacs.net/newhome/manufacture_dates.html

This will give you your manufacture dates, as far as I can find out. Looks like 1882 !!! Beautiful find !!

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    PRETTY!! I still don't have a New Home...I think I need one tho!!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
    I've just been asked where to find info on a Waltham rotary. Anyone??
    Randa the ISMACS needle list show the Waltham Rotary made by National and using a 20x1 needle.

Then there is a second Waltham (not rotary) that is made by the Free Sewing Machine Company and uses a standard 15x1 needle.

Can you post a picture for us?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    PRETTY!! I still don't have a New Home...I think I need one tho!!
    I agree with Charlee, I don't have a New Home treadle either! I have the New Home T no 3, which is electric - friction driven, and an electric Light Running New Home, but not a treadle. When I get my New Home treadle, I want the one with the cabinet that says New Home on the cabinet and irons! I'm getting picky!

The kids and I organized my little sewing machine museum (a cargo unit) yesterday! It is so cute. I put (I think) 6 treadles in there and a couple of portables. I also put a cutting table up with a bunch of very old pictures of my family all over it! So much fun! I am going to open the doors this spring and sew out there! I wish I was like most of the collectors and could get rid of the cabinets - just keep the machines - but, I can't. I love the cabinets too!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    The New Home is very pretty. Does it treadle as smoothly as the one I gave away? So easy and smooth. My understanding is the Light Running were designed to treadle easily for less strong sewers (like me). If I sell my Leader (another National machine), it will be because it treadles hard. But it's so cute and the cabinet is nicer than the Redeye's.

Speaking of the Redeye, will a kerosene soak hurt the decals? Reading Billy's tutorial seems like it's okay, but I'd like some feedback before I drop in that decorated part in that attaches to the bobbin winder. That screw is not coming out.

Nancy, your sewing museum sounds fun. My living room is in danger of becoming one.
    Last edited by irishrose; 12-30-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness, I'm rich!! I have 2 of these!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    I agree with Charlee, I don't have a New Home treadle either! I have the New Home T no 3, which is electric - friction driven, and an electric Light Running New Home, but not a treadle. When I get my New Home treadle, I want the one with the cabinet that says New Home on the cabinet and irons! I'm getting picky!

The kids and I organized my little sewing machine museum (a cargo unit) yesterday! It is so cute. I put (I think) 6 treadles in there and a couple of portables. I also put a cutting table up with a bunch of very old pictures of my family all over it! So much fun! I am going to open the doors this spring and sew out there! I wish I was like most of the collectors and could get rid of the cabinets - just keep the machines - but, I can't. I love the cabinets too!

Nancy
    Nancy, Keep those cabinets! I love them too.Plus, you have done a beautiful job in restoring some of the irons. My guess is that over time the machines got stored while the broken cabinets/irons got trashed, and then the e-machines showed up and the cabinets were made smaller. The collectors came along to rescue the machine heads and preserve history.

I would love to see pictures of your sewing museum; sounds very lovely with the pictures of family members. I bet the kids had fun with that project.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
    Oh my goodness, I'm rich!! I have 2 of these!!
    OMGosh!!! Me too!!!!! Off to browse the web for how I'm going to spend the $$$$$$

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl View Post
    OMGosh!!! Me too!!!!! Off to browse the web for how I'm going to spend the $$$$$$
    On more vintage machines and fabrics!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    The New Home is very pretty. Does it treadle as smoothly as the one I gave away? So easy and smooth. My understanding is the Light Running were designed to treadle easily for less strong sewers (like me). If I sell my Leader (another National machine), it will be because it treadles hard. But it's so cute and the cabinet is nicer than the Redeye's.

Speaking of the Redeye, will a kerosene soak hurt the decals? Reading Billy's tutorial seems like it's okay, but I'd like some feedback before I drop in that decorated part in that attaches to the bobbin winder. That screw is not coming out.

Nancy, your sewing museum sounds fun. My living room is in danger of becoming one.
    So that's what they mean by light-running! My gosh- I couldn't believe how easy the New Home is to treadle - and it keeps on going for quite a bit even if I stop!
    Thank you Texas Jan with the help dating my New Home!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady View Post
    So that's what they mean by light-running! My gosh- I couldn't believe how easy the New Home is to treadle - and it keeps on going for quite a bit even if I stop!
    Thank you Texas Jan with the help dating my New Home!
    You are very welcome !!

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Randa the ISMACS needle list show the Waltham Rotary made by National and using a 20x1 needle.

Then there is a second Waltham (not rotary) that is made by the Free Sewing Machine Company and uses a standard 15x1 needle.

Can you post a picture for us?

Nancy
    I have no picture...the person asking about this is thinking of buying one and wanted to know if I knew anything about them. I'll give her this info and see if she gets it and can take a pic to share with us. Thanks, Nancy!!

Randa

In Sept. 2011 I bought a New Home treadle serial number 262830 dated 1882. I've since stripped the cabinet and stained it, repainted the the wrought iron base. I started to clean the machine but haven't finished it yet. The decal in the center of the bed was already mostly gone so can't make it out. On the face plate there is a rose painted on it. I also got the manual, attachments, the key and a brochure of differant models available with it.
    Judy

Sorry for mix up this is my first time posting pictures to new format.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I'm betting it's a 201-2....
    What do we win? ~wink and a grin~
    Well, now I feel like I let everyone down who played along! The seller never did answer my e-mail to set up a time to see it. No phone # on the ad either. Another 201 would be nice to have!
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady View Post
    It's beautiful! I just got a New Home today, it's called a 'light-running New Home sewing machine" on the manual, and it's in the No. 4 style treadle base. Serial number is 272868 - any way to date it?
    Lovely! I like the detail on the coffin top, very elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    When I cleaned up mine, I did get quite a bit of kerosene on the decals. It didn't seem to hurt them. What you might have problems with is that the kerosene (or in my case, really dirty kerosene) may leave kind of a film on the machine. Be careful cleaning this off; that's where there might be problems with the decals. The film left on mine came off easily, just had to clean gently and keep an eye on what I was doing.