Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-30-2011, 12:49 PM

Oh the quilt and your son are both beautiful! What a talent he has! The one son I thought would have such an interest, because he's very artistic, is the one that doesn't want anything to do with it...yet anyway.

Thank you for the explanation. So those are shuttle bobbins huh..interesting. Thanks for the explanation. Now things can make more sense when I read the posts about them

How many machines were made for bobbins like that? Were those popular during a certain time or were they made that way for a particular reason?

I noticed the bobbins for my 66 are very different than the bobbins for my FW.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:22 PM

Help please, I have a "new" 15-91 and am in the process of cleaning it up. I have two issues. One is the paint chips on the hand wheel (see photo). I saw a few weeks ago that there is a pen that that can be used to repair small blemishes, do you think the pen would work for that and what was that pen called? I remember that it was purchased at Michael's but I don't what it was called. My second issue is with the tension. The tension knob seems to be off kilter I've removed it and replaced it based on the insturction and it is still not correct. It also isn't sewing taught. It seems too lose, I've played with both the bobbin and top and can't seem to get a tight "stitch".

Any help is appreciated.

Hand Wheel
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204396[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-204390.jpe  
Old 05-30-2011, 01:47 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

mpeters ~ thanks, he's my cutiepatootie ;) He's #4, we lost his twin, so he's super special (don't get me wrong, all 4 are special LOL)

Nancy (bojangles) or sewextreme or Kathie may be able to answer the years better for the shuttles... I just know that my 27 takes them, so I wanted a few :)

We got Godzilla running pretty smooth, the back rubber bushing thingy has a flat spot, so I gotta get a new one tomorrow... but he's up in his room playing with scraps right now, preparing to make his first stuffed animal! So funny, it took hubby & me together to get that stupid presserfoot bar released, it was really really gunked up!
Old 05-30-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Oh the quilt and your son are both beautiful! What a talent he has! The one son I thought would have such an interest, because he's very artistic, is the one that doesn't want anything to do with it...yet anyway.

Thank you for the explanation. So those are shuttle bobbins huh..interesting. Thanks for the explanation. Now things can make more sense when I read the posts about them

How many machines were made for bobbins like that? Were those popular during a certain time or were they made that way for a particular reason?

I noticed the bobbins for my 66 are very different than the bobbins for my FW.
Mpeters, here is some information on the different shuttles and bobbins drivers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobbin_drivers

We had Transverse shuttles (looked like an open boat) before the Vibrating shuttle (bullet shaped). Those both became obsolete when people really took to the Rotary and Oscillating type bobbin drivers. The modern machines use the round type hook/race drivers because there is virtually no shaking nor walking like a vibrating, transverse shuttle had. Although, I think if you do a search of the history of the vibrating shuttle you will see there were still a few machines being produced with that bobbin driver system up until the 1950's or 1960's.

Nancy
Old 05-30-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by MarieM
Help please, I have a "new" 15-91 and am in the process of cleaning it up. I have two issues. One is the paint chips on the hand wheel (see photo). I saw a few weeks ago that there is a pen that that can be used to repair small blemishes, do you think the pen would work for that and what was that pen called? I remember that it was purchased at Michael's but I don't what it was called. My second issue is with the tension. The tension knob seems to be off kilter I've removed it and replaced it based on the insturction and it is still not correct. It also isn't sewing taught. It seems too lose, I've played with both the bobbin and top and can't seem to get a tight "stitch".

Any help is appreciated.
I can't help with the paint issue, sorry. Do you have the needle in correctly? Needle flat goes to the left and threads right to left, bobbin goes in the bobbin case with the thread coming over the top toward you. I have the 15-90, its a lovely machine. Make sure that you're using good
quality thread and a new needle.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:41 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I have a dumb question on the Kenmore Godzilla ~ (117 model) ~ needle flat goes on R side, but also fits at back... and the book shows R (side-to-side threading) ... but the book also says thread needle R to L ~ meaning: cross over the needle from the last tensioner ... we followed those directions, and got a tangled mess when it tried to pickup bobbin thread.

So was the book printed with a typo? Of course my troubleshooting background made me immediately thread L-R and it worked perfect.

But what's the deal with the needle flat spot fitting in facing toward back like the newer machines? Was that a glitch in the mfg of the needle socket?

Son is taking a break right now, he's just used up a 1/2 spool of his great-gram's thread practicing... next step is making his seams for a pinwheel block and then on to making his stuffie!
Old 05-30-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by MarieM

Any help is appreciated.
I can't help with the paint issue, sorry. Do you have the needle in correctly? Needle flat goes to the left and threads right to left, bobbin goes in the bobbin case with the thread coming over the top toward you. I have the 15-90, its a lovely machine. Make sure that you're using good
quality thread and a new needle.
I'm certain the needle is in correctly, but I'll check it in morning, I've done dumb things before. I'll also change the thread out and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the advice.
Marie
Old 05-30-2011, 04:51 PM

Thank you, Emmah and purplefiend. It makes sense. I had to oil the machine heavily to get her to sew quietly and she stil likes oil after every completed quilt. I probably used a little too much.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:57 PM

For the person who asked about the paint stick from Michaels's...it was called Testers Black.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by jan on 446
For the person who asked about the paint stick from Michaels's...it was called Testers Black.
It was me, thanks so much.

Marie