Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1682 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 682 1182 1582 1632 1672 1681 1682 1683 1692 1732 1782 ... LastLast
Results 42,026 to 42,050 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #42026
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,290
    totally not up on these "new fangled" machines, but is it perhaps a left handed screw?

  2. #42027
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,290
    Glenn,

    I found this: http://website.lineone.net/~lindave/manuals.htm

    but I am not ready to pay $25 for a copy yet...

  3. #42028
    Senior Member frudemoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    totally not up on these "new fangled" machines, but is it perhaps a left handed screw?
    Thanks Steve. Turns out I've completely stuffed up the timing of the machine. That little plate looked so innocent

    In happier news, I got the feed dogs off after about 50 attempts and got behind the mechanism to clean out the thread and also found a giant lint creature from the deep.... So that was satisfying! Such a shame now the machine doesn't work!! ..... Oh well, learned my lesson.

  4. #42029
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
    Thanks Steve. Turns out I've completely stuffed up the timing of the machine. That little plate looked so innocent

    In happier news, I got the feed dogs off after about 50 attempts and got behind the mechanism to clean out the thread and also found a giant lint creature from the deep.... So that was satisfying! Such a shame now the machine doesn't work!! ..... Oh well, learned my lesson.
    shoot a pic and see if we can help you figure it out
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  5. #42030
    Senior Member frudemoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    shoot a pic and see if we can help you figure it out
    Hey Miriam

    Thanks heaps... but it turns out it wasn't the timing. I'd accidentally knocked the plate that holds the bobbin case cover closed and it meant the needle was hitting the bobbin case because it was out of alignment. Once I tightened it back up again, it shifted the bobbin forward and opened up the space for the needle again.

    Now I'm all about tension assembly issues! Can't figure it out, but should be able to from yours and Cecilia's tips from the other thread so I won't bother you about it here

  6. #42031
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    From what I have seen it rarely ever is timing. Maybe one out of several hundred will really have timing problems.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  7. #42032
    Senior Member frudemoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    From what I have seen it rarely ever is timing. Maybe one out of several hundred will really have timing problems.
    That's interesting to know.

    I'm not sure what to do next about this machine. I think it might have a hot date with my LSMG to be honest. It's the decorative stitches that are playing up and I'm really in over my head with that stuff. I was hoping maybe it was just a subtle tension problem, but I've got the tension assembly back together and I'm not happy with the lock stitch even though the tension seems okay and it's not doing any of the other stitches properly. Blah .... I'll have to sell something to pay for the spa treatment no doubt.

  8. #42033
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Getting the tension adjusted after you have had it apart can be tricky. Some times it needs an extra tweak just before you put the last nut on. Some times if it has more than one way to hold it on I adjust the tension then put the last nut on. If not some times you can push in on some of the parts and then give that last nut an extra turn. Then adjust. I suppose I'm speaking a foreign language though. I had a Singer 500 give me fits the other day. I just had to keep taking it apart and putting it back until I was happy with it. I think it has a lousy system. The 401 has an extra part and is so much easier to get it adjusted. Some times if you get one part in backwards the whole thing won't work at all. I don't know if it is always true, the nut that holds it on maybe should be about even with the shaft end. Maybe somebody knows better than I do. l Some times somebody else was there and buggered it before you ever got your hands on it - probably why they let it go.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  9. #42034
    Senior Member frudemoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Getting the tension adjusted after you have had it apart can be tricky...
    That's actually good to know Miriam. I guess I sort of 'sensed' this, even though I don't have a complete understanding of what I'm doing. Sometimes after I put a machine back together I can just feel that something isn't quite right and I can usually tell where the problem is... I guess that's why I've got the "bug" now. Otherwise I'm sure I would have given up after the first one
    ...Some times somebody else was there and buggered it before you ever got your hands on it - probably why they let it go.
    ....and I'm sure this must be true, too. Thankfully I know this isn't the case with Fawkes, because he came from a friend. When it's been someone else's machine and I don't know what *COULD* have happened to it, that's when the LSMG comes in handy!

  10. #42035
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    141
    I am sorry, but I don't know what a PDA is or a PM for that matter. My mother used a tredle machine and now my daughter displays it in her foyer, however, it is now in working condition at the present time. At one point in time, my father who was an electrician, installed a little motor on it and she had an electric machine. Later, that same little motor powered my yarn winder. I think that is the reason the tredle isn't working now. I have two Featherweights, and I love them. I can't look at this site often, but I do love it and look whenever possible.
    Ann Eliz from PA

  11. #42036
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merritt Island, FL
    Posts
    663
    Blog Entries
    16
    Hi AnnEliz! Welcome to our group. I don't have a PDA but I think it is a "personal digital assistant" but I could be wrong. I think it is something like a smart phone. A PM is a private message which you can send to only one member and it will not be seen by all. (saves clutter on this site when not all may be interested or a question requires a more lengthy answer). You can do this by clicking on the person you wish to contact. If you wanted to contact me, for instance, you would click on blueheavenfla where it is in blue on the left. That would take you to the PM page where you could continue with whatever you needed to contact me about. I hope that helps. Remember that I said that I'm not sure about the PDA. If I am wrong, someone else will jump in and correct me.
    Donna
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnEliz View Post
    I am sorry, but I don't know what a PDA is or a PM for that matter. My mother used a tredle machine and now my daughter displays it in her foyer, however, it is now in working condition at the present time. At one point in time, my father who was an electrician, installed a little motor on it and she had an electric machine. Later, that same little motor powered my yarn winder. I think that is the reason the tredle isn't working now. I have two Featherweights, and I love them. I can't look at this site often, but I do love it and look whenever possible.
    Ann Eliz from PA

  12. #42037
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1
    Hello everyone,

    I am a new member and found your forum a wealth of knowledge. I just purchased a "B. Eldredge" treadle machine yesterday and have tried and tried (and tried some more) to find information on it on the web, with little success. What I have been able to find was that it is a model 44, which was patterned off of the Willcox & Gibbs model 64. Can someone please give me an estimate on when the Eldredge model 44 automatic chain stitch machine came into production? From what I have found it looks like it was between 1869 and 1890 but any help you can provide on the machine, model, etc. would be greatly appreciated! I am adding some pictures of her. Thank you! Name:  eldredge1.bmp
Views: 291
Size:  900.1 KBName:  eldredge 2.bmp
Views: 306
Size:  900.1 KB

  13. #42038
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Firmly North Georgia
    Posts
    838
    I bid one cent over the asking price for a 185, ya know that cute little green machine. When the bidding ended, someone else won it and I bid on another even cheaper one. Duh, I was on my brother's account, it was me that won the 1st one and then no one bid on the second so now I have two!

    One arrived today and it was locked up. I stripped it down and started tinkering, it seemed to be the bobbin area. No rust, insides are clean, what goes here. Someone had put the bobbin case back in wrong. Still got a slight problem with the tension and the spring for the bobbin cover doesn't hold it in place but it stitches just fine. Can't wait to see the second one.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

  14. #42039
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
    I bid one cent over the asking price for a 185, ya know that cute little green machine. When the bidding ended, someone else won it and I bid on another even cheaper one. Duh, I was on my brother's account, it was me that won the 1st one and then no one bid on the second so now I have two!

    One arrived today and it was locked up. I stripped it down and started tinkering, it seemed to be the bobbin area. No rust, insides are clean, what goes here. Someone had put the bobbin case back in wrong. Still got a slight problem with the tension and the spring for the bobbin cover doesn't hold it in place but it stitches just fine. Can't wait to see the second one.
    They ARE cute. The tension isn't terribly hard to work on. Has the little tip on the bobbin cover spring been broken off or is there junk in the slide plate channel?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  15. #42040
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Firmly North Georgia
    Posts
    838
    I'll know more once the second one arrives. It's possible the spring has been replaced and is too short or the plate is new and doesn't fit the older machine. Everything is clean as a whistle.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

  16. #42041
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,486
    I just got a new one for my 404 that was missing the bobbin cover. I was having a hard time getting it on and the new spring just didn't seem to fit. Then I discovered the old one was still there (no wonder it wouldn't fit!) and after a bit of maneuvering it went on perfectly. So now I have a spare spring.

  17. #42042
    Super Member LoisM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Highland, CA
    Posts
    1,403
    I'd love to see pictures of BOTH of them once you get the second one.

    Quote Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
    I bid one cent over the asking price for a 185, ya know that cute little green machine. When the bidding ended, someone else won it and I bid on another even cheaper one. Duh, I was on my brother's account, it was me that won the 1st one and then no one bid on the second so now I have two!

    One arrived today and it was locked up. I stripped it down and started tinkering, it seemed to be the bobbin area. No rust, insides are clean, what goes here. Someone had put the bobbin case back in wrong. Still got a slight problem with the tension and the spring for the bobbin cover doesn't hold it in place but it stitches just fine. Can't wait to see the second one.

  18. #42043
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    Has anyone ever heard of, or been to, a Sewing Machine Show? Kind of like a car show but for sewing machines? It would be where people could come and show off their machines and get a trophy or something like that. Or is this just a dumb idea?
    ~G~

  19. #42044
    Super Member manicmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,867
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Or is this just a dumb idea?
    ~G~
    Sounds like a brilliant idea to me, but we're the only ones who'd go!
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family (1886) 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 96k41 (1947) 103K (1950) 2 x 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959) 331K4 (1964) 451K145 (1960)
    Pfaff:360 (1959) Necchi Supernova Julia http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

  20. #42045
    Junior Member brunswickgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Cabin at the lake.. on my way to Brunswick as soon as the house is complete
    Posts
    141
    I think it is a GREAT idea, would you do it online or in a physical location? I would love to be involved, volunteer or course, if you decide to do something like this. Would you tack it on as a, for lack of a better word, event at a National Quilt Show? What about National Sponsors for the prizes?

    Linda

  21. #42046
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by brunswickgirl View Post
    I think it is a GREAT idea, would you do it online or in a physical location? I would love to be involved, volunteer or course, if you decide to do something like this. Would you tack it on as a, for lack of a better word, event at a National Quilt Show? What about National Sponsors for the prizes?

    Linda
    I was thinking that it would be a local or regional thing like a car show/cruise night, if you know what that is. I had the idea partly because I was prompted by two friends of mine to enter two machines in an art show in August. Yes, an actual art show with paintings and sculptures etc. I hesitated at first but because many of the machines I have restored are used mainly for decoration. I just thought that it could be a neat thing to do to expose people that do not know about Antique and Vintage machines to see what they are about and talk with the owners of the machines as well as networking among the sewing community.
    ~G~

  22. #42047
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,290
    Sign me up! In fact I think this should be elevated to it's own thread.....
    Last edited by SteveH; 07-17-2013 at 07:19 AM.

  23. #42048
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of, or been to, a Sewing Machine Show? Kind of like a car show but for sewing machines? It would be where people could come and show off their machines and get a trophy or something like that. Or is this just a dumb idea?
    ~G~
    Sort of what we do at TOGAs. We like to show off our machines!! But so far, no trophies!! Just lots of "Ooooohs" and "Ahhhhhs".
    Miz Johnny

  24. #42049
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Sign me up! In fact I think this should be elevated to it's own thread.....
    You know, when I am at the art show I will inquire about the venue space. I will try to take some pix too. As well as get feedback from people. Steve, if I can figure out how to do it, I will try to start a thread here too after the Art Show and let you all know how the idea is received.
    Miz. Johnny, I really don't sew much because I am always fixing machines, but I would be interested in going to a local TOGA. How do I find one in my area? I live in the Chicago suburbs. I don't know where to start.
    ~G~

  25. #42050
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    LOL I could do my own show.... I have a ton right now. I've bought just about every derelict machine that has crossed my path and put them back to work and looking cheerful again.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.