Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-08-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
OK, I'm calling it a Davis now. Here is why:
http://www.cdthayer.com/imagessm/Machine217_01.jpg
http://www.cdthayer.com/ThayerRagsMachinesAs-IsA-E.htm

Thank you cdthayer!

This looks like a Davis ME Unique. Scroll down to Davis ME and do a comparison.
You’re certainly welcome.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 AM

I belong to several--never had any trouble with any. Info is asked generally to keep out folks trolling to sell or scam. vintagesingers has been around for many years.
Originally Posted by Kas
I was wondering if anyone here is a member of any of the Yahoo groups for vintage machines. I am thinking about joining, but I feel uncomfortable with all the info they ask about. The problem is I am not finding much info on how to actually take apart the motor on my 500a or how to check the brushes on it and my 301. Any thoughts?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Originally Posted by Dottie Bug
Ifound a singer today at a yard sale ,given to me she is around 60yrs old she is a century 1851-1951 the thing wont move the needle up&down but the wheel bearly turns , serl.# is AK016055. help please. Dottie Bug
Dottie Bug, your Singer is a Model 15 Made in the Elizabethport factory in Elizabeth New Jersey. She was born on Nov. 10, 1950. Keep oiling it. Be patient. Kathie
I second that!! Keep putting oil in it and keep moving the wheel....oil and move it...oil and move it. My little 301 was very stiff when I got her, and it took a while to move freely.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:07 AM

Beautiful. Go buy it.
Originally Posted by QuilterGary
Here is a real Treasure. Never saw one before.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/atq/2533382930.html
Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Dottie Bug
Ifound a singer today at a yard sale ,given to me she is around 60yrs old she is a century 1851-1951 the thing wont move the needle up&down but the wheel bearly turns , serl.# is AK016055. help please. Dottie Bug
Take the face plate off, clean the inside and make sure there is nothing inside obstructing the needle from moving up and down.
Oil it. If that doesn't work, oil it more, and put the machine out in the sun for some time, then give it a try.

My Singer 9W wouldn't move for me. I took the faceplate off to find drill bits. Here is a photo of the machine:
Monica, it has always amazed me what we find in these vintage machines, but your drill bits really take the cake!

Nancy
Can't you just see little 3 year old fingers thinking that hole would be a great place to hide daddy's tool pieces???? Hahahaha!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:09 AM

"This has been in my family for years!!!!"

And at that price, it will stay in the family for years.

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Silly Seller!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/atq/2535535097.html

:shock: :shock: :lol:
Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 AM

I got a good deal this weekend I think. I will have to put pictures up later. But I got a FW card table but the top is in tough condition. I want to restore it but was not sure how to proceed.

On the top there are just a few areas here and there of coating left and it is crazed. The wood seems in good condition with just a small place where the veneer is gone next to the part that is removed. But the veneer is lifting just a bit around a good portion of the outer edges.

Should I take the whole top piece out of the wooden frame and then try to put a bit a glue with clamps on it before I try to refinish?

What finish would you use, shellac or varnish? I think the old finish will come off easily with a quick rub from steel wool. Should this be my first step?

I think I can just lightly sand the frame and legs and repaint with black. Although the black paint is not bad, just rubbed a bit on some edges. The leg brackets have a bit of rust so can try to clean those up too.

Glen I hope you don't mind helping with your expertese. I hope to post some pictures tonight.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:21 AM

I'll have to call our Goodwill. I've never seen a sign for half price day.[/quote]

All holidays are 1/2 off. Kathie
Old 08-08-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
:lol: I couldn't stand the old snag that taught Home Ec...I took woodshop instead!
Charlee, you are younger than I am. No possibility of woodshop for me :-( Ah, well :lol: :lol:
Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by hootnannie
Earlier this summer I saw a CL ad for a featherweight in NYC (Manhattan) for $123. and my curiosity got to me. I figured it was either a mistake, already gone, and/or misclassified. I emailed and got a response with a phone number. I called, said it had been his mom's but it was really hard to get any more info. Several emails & days later when I came into the city I was to call him again and if he was finished with a writing deadline, he'd give me an address. The whole thing was weird, so armed with DD and 3 DGK we set off on this trek.
The day was hotter than you know what and a woman my age shouldn't be able to sweat that much. When we got to the place I thought, " I'll get to see what a NYC apt. looks like inside. Up 3 flights we all went and when we got there, you could barely slide in the door. The place was packed so tight with STUFF, down the hall, up the walls, in every nook and cranny. I had found a true hoarder. Now, I have clutter and collect some things....now it's VSM... but this one wasn't on TV but "in the wild" as Charlee says. I bought the machine and hightailed me, DD, and kids out to the street, to sweat some more.
When I got home, I took a look and couldn't believe my eyes. Not only was it shiny and pristine but it was ready to sew (complete)with great decals all around. His mom must not been a frequent sewer. It's BD was 4/10/1940.
Wow...great deal you got on that. Can't believe it was snapped up within the first few minutes of being on CL!! Good for you!!!