Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-14-2011, 08:50 AM

[quote=SewExtreme]Help, please. I really, really want a metal darning foot for my Singer 301.

Just out of curiosity why all metal? I've used the plastic on my short shank machines and they seem ok to me, am I missing something

:)
Old 08-14-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
miriam][

The 500's only come with 1-5 and don't need the rest because they are built in.
Miriam, my manuel shows 12 additional discs that can be purchased. They are disc 6,7,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,20 and 21. I have a Rockeeter and the manuel is for Model 500.
Could I have a wrong manuel? Kathie
you can buy them but you don't have to - the same stuff is built in.[/quote]

Then all I need is cam number 3, thank you Miriam.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Thanks Linda! :) I'm sure we'll have a good time...and I'm betting I come home with another machine.. :lol:
No, ya think
:lol: :lol: :lol:

enjoy yourself and i hope you find what ever makes your heart sing this week!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

miriam][

The 500's only come with 1-5 and don't need the rest because they are built in.
Miriam, my manuel shows 12 additional discs that can be purchased. They are disc 6,7,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,20 and 21. I have a Rockeeter and the manuel is for Model 500.
Could I have a wrong manuel? Kathie
you can buy them but you don't have to - the same stuff is built in.
Then all I need is cam number 3, thank you Miriam.[/quote]

The numbers and settings pictured on the top cover door thingy of the machine match up with the disks you buy - I found that I had to search the manual and work with it a bit to get it do do what I needed. If it says DP then it would have to have the width set right as well to make the stitch on the picture. 2 3 or 4 width setting may have a different stitch pattern. It took me a year to figure out that machine - once you do you will really like it. Somewhere I saw a chart that told exactly which setting matched the numbered disks. I'm thinking it might be on sew classic blog. I'm leaving for the day for now though.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:58 AM

I can not imagine having all the broken bones on top of this mess. Ouch. I do have a broken toe but that's nothing.

It seems like it could be anything. Pillow? I'm throwing contaminated clothes out at this point. I'm wondering about the seat belt in my car. Sheets? mattress pad? quilt? Fels Natha soap & vinegar rinse followed by the sanitize cycle on the washing machine may do some good.

We no longer have to drive home from there before washing & changing clothes. (see blog below) I broke out again last night - under arms... this is just sssssooooooo gross. The Fels Naptha soap seems to do wonders followed by vinegar rinse. Itching is not optional.
Well, the nurses thought it was pretty funny. I was so busy trying to scratch all the time that I didn't have much time to complain about anything else!

I wouldn't toss your clothes out, just wash them. As soon as you wash the oils off, the clothes are no longer contaminated. Just use some good soap and warm water. I have never had a problem giving poison oak to anyone around here once I washed the contaminated clothes. Just be very careful when you are getting out of them! You have to turn them inside out and work your way out without touching any part of the clothes that came in contact with the poison ivy! Yes, if you have it on your hands, it will be on the steering wheel, tools, your shoes, whatever. Set the tools out in the sun so the sun can bake the oil, or better yet use some handcleaner on the tools!

Nancy
Old 08-14-2011, 10:02 AM

I have been watching this machine for a couple months now. He started out asking $450, but is coming down. Those Adlers are suppose to be really great machines. I like the looks of this machine - I bet it has a reverse! But, look how cool it looks! It reminds me of my Wheeler & Wilson's, but more elaborate!

Why don't one of you make the guy an offer! I'd go for it if I hadn't of gotten the Hitachi! I still might!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2538070755.html

Nancy
Old 08-14-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I have been watching this machine for a couple months now. He started out asking $450, but is coming down. Those Adlers are suppose to be really great machines. I like the looks of this machine - I bet it has a reverse! But, look how cool it looks! It reminds me of my Wheeler & Wilson's, but more elaborate!

Why don't one of you make the guy an offer! I'd go for it if I hadn't of gotten the Hitachi! I still might!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2538070755.html

Nancy
I like the table too.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Just curious here....how old is a vintage machine?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:12 PM

[quote=greenini]
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Help, please. I really, really want a metal darning foot for my Singer 301.

Just out of curiosity why all metal? I've used the plastic on my short shank machines and they seem ok to me, am I missing something

:)
Just silly me... I want to modify the front of the darning circle by cutting it out... metal is more durable than plastic, therefore, it might be a lot easier to 'snap' the plastic accidently. :lol:
Old 08-14-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
Help, please. I really, really want a metal darning foot for my Singer 301. Where, oh where, can I find one? By metal I mean the part that is closest to the fabric. On my other machines, I have shaved the front part of that circle off so I can see where I am going.

I did locate what the person said was an original for the 301 but with shipping and such it would close to $35. I am I being unreasonable in looking for one???????????? :shock:
I just purchase my daring/FM foot from SewClassic.com...Someone on the site recommended them and said the cheapest one they carry 5.99 was the best she ever used...I figured why not for that price and she was right...Go under Slant Needle on their site and you'll see the one I'm talking abt...
http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Sing...t-SCF60793.htm is this what you are talking about?
Thank you Miriam and HobbyKat. This is what I am actually looking for but for the 301 slant shank.

http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Low-...?categoryId=-1
Did you try Aprils1930...
Yes, I did. Some darning feet have metal until you get to the part that touches the fabric. I may have to go with the plastic. I can still cut out the front so that I have better vision of where I am going. So far, I have gone through 3 pages of a Google search for such a thing as an all metal darning foot for Singer 301. :-D
I once saw the original daring foot on ebay...but wasn't interested at that pt...So you might ck there for the original sometimes you luck out...Also Esty.
But I have to repeat...I too like the metal FM foot better then plastic for my Husq Viking but the cheap one I bought on Sew Classic works great on the 301 and gives a good view the way it's made...It's an open sq with very little plastic that doesn't blocks your view I also think the sllant also makes the difference unlike the newer models...I still suggest to you for the price I see it's now 4.99 to give it a try if you haven't already. I had passed it up several times wanting what you want but glad I tried it...
I might just break down and try this one. I am getting tired of looking for I think I want.... LOL