Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-16-2012, 06:11 AM

Nancy,
I agree. Iif it ain't broke, don't fix.
Those little stinker will move while you are tightening the screws, so it could now be in the "sweet spot".
Contratulations and welcome to the club.

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Yep, Miriam you are right - it is so fun to learn! Now, because of little Marcus, I want to learn more! I also need to take Ray's class! I was amazed I even got the machine fixed! I am really good with getting them un-stuck, cleaned up, refurbished, getting out thread tangles, and tension issues, but I had never completely taken the whole bobbin assembly off a machine before! I really thought I was going to have to pay someone to fix the whole mess!

Cathy, I tried all the keys for decorative stitches, all the satin and zig zag settings, the straight stitch at different lengths. Nothing had a skipped stitch yet! I will print out your instructions and when I start getting skipped stitches I will try to adjust per your instructions - but, right now I don't want to fix what "ain't broke." Or at least it appears nothing is wrong right now! Maybe, I lucked out and the thing shifted enough to hit the 'sweet' spot before I tightened the screws on the hook? That little jewel was extremely hard to get in the right spot - then tighten! It wanted to move around, forward, backward - it is like you need an extra hand to do the needle timing!

Nancy
Old 03-16-2012, 06:49 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...w-t182971.html

Link to my new Vertical feed. I'd like to say that I enjoy this forum so much. I read every word of this thread. I don't post much, cause I am usually a few pages behind, and I don't have a real good internet connection. Pictures load slow and typing is a real pain. But I do read it all, and if I have something to say that no one else has already said, I will post. I have a pretty extensive collection of vintage machines. I sew on a couple of them regularly, but just made room for my two spools and Free in the sewing room, waiting for someone to come carry them up for me. Now I have to find a place for the Vertical Feed!! I have taken over two of the rooms upstairs, plus the utility and a good portion of the garage!! DH is pretty understanding. Even though he won't admit it, he likes to see these machines, too. I can't seem to get him to make a quilt with me, though. I am still working on him. Thanks for all the joy you guys bring to me with your postings, pictures, and lessons!!
Old 03-16-2012, 07:13 AM

Congratulation on the Vertical Feed, it's a beauty. You will love it.

I love your tag line. Yes, life is too short for the drama.

Cathy

Originally Posted by buslady View Post

Link to my new Vertical feed. I'd like to say that I enjoy this forum so much. I read every word of this thread. I don't post much, cause I am usually a few pages behind, and I don't have a real good internet connection. Pictures load slow and typing is a real pain. But I do read it all, and if I have something to say that no one else has already said, I will post. I have a pretty extensive collection of vintage machines. I sew on a couple of them regularly, but just made room for my two spools and Free in the sewing room, waiting for someone to come carry them up for me. Now I have to find a place for the Vertical Feed!! I have taken over two of the rooms upstairs, plus the utility and a good portion of the garage!! DH is pretty understanding. Even though he won't admit it, he likes to see these machines, too. I can't seem to get him to make a quilt with me, though. I am still working on him. Thanks for all the joy you guys bring to me with your postings, pictures, and lessons!!
Old 03-16-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Joe, I don't have a 201, I don't have room for one; and, I doubt I would love it more than my Pfaff 130, but you know everyone who does have a 201 LOVES them! That machine, as I am sure you know, was advertised as the Finest machine Singer ever made! Congratulations on the 201! I want to try one some day.

Nancy
Nancy,

We don't have room for it either. We knew that when we bought it, but just couldn't pass it buy.
Right now as I type this there is 7 sewing machines in our tiny 8' X 12' front room. 2 Treadles, one regular and one parlor cabinet, 2 electric machines in cabinets and three portables.

As soon as I can quit buying machines and get to my sewing projects I'll have covers made for all the cabinets and treadles. At that point I'm afraid some of them will have to spend some time in the garage.

I do not doubt the 201 was the finest machine Singer ever made. This one looks nearly new, and sounds like it too.
My wife is positive it's what she learned to sew on. Either that or a 15-91.
I want to use it, but it's cabinet is still out in my Pathfinder because there is no room for it in the house. Oh what a pain.

Joe
Old 03-16-2012, 07:19 AM

Buslady, congratulations. That is a lovely machine - and to think it was hanging out only 45 miles from me. You were meant to find her.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Nancy,

We don't have room for it either. We knew that when we bought it, but just couldn't pass it buy.
Right now as I type this there is 7 sewing machines in our tiny 8' X 12' front room. 2 Treadles, one regular and one parlor cabinet, 2 electric machines in cabinets and three portables.

As soon as I can quit buying machines and get to my sewing projects I'll have covers made for all the cabinets and treadles. At that point I'm afraid some of them will have to spend some time in the garage.

I do not doubt the 201 was the finest machine Singer ever made. This one looks nearly new, and sounds like it too.
I want to use it, but it's cabinet is still out in my Pathfinder because there is no room for it in the house. Oh what a pain.

Joe
Portable machines are so much easier to store. They still take up more space than I'd like, but at least with machines in cases you can hide them from evil eyes:> And, you can ensnare more people in your web by bringing them to guild meetings. Spreading the disease is always fun.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 AM

Buslady,
Congrats on finding your Davis NVF! You will love that machine along with your Two Spools for your quilting projects. The Two Spools is an excellent machine to use for the piecing with the perfect 1/4 inch foot and feed dogs of same length. And the Davis NVF is a wonderful machine for binding work, straight stitch quilting, following a motif on fabric(what I call FMQ from a Davis), and best it loves flannels!! I have quilted a couple of quilts that the tops are cotton and the backs are flannel and have had no troubles. The thicker the layers of material/s the happier that machine gets!

Please post pictures of your quilts that you have made with all your machines. I would love to see them. Thanks for sharing and congrats again!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Nancy,

Joe
Joe,
I have what my husband calls my "command center" that is ~ 7ftx7ft space which holds 6 machines in treadles. The chair is situated in the center of three treadles. One of the machines is a Free No.5 that isn't used for sewing; it just holds my sewing paraphernalia. Here's a photo:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]320240[/ATTACH]

I own a 201 in treadle that sits behind my living room sofa. At night while watching tv with hubby, that machine gets used. Enjoy your Singer 201!
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2012-03-16-9.29.10-am.png  
Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 AM

Buslady, you are going to love that machine! It is so cool to put bindings on with that machine. Because there are no feed dogs, you never get bunches, tucks, it will just go through all three layers of quilt plus the 4 layers of a folded binding like butter - no puckers, no gathers - just a beautiful binding! You will never have to put a walking foot on another machine to do bindings again - you have it all right there in the vertical feed with no feed dogs!

Beautiful Davis by the way!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 03-16-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:46 AM

Joe, the 201 IS a great machine. I have one set up downstairs and use it a lot. That machine is so nice and has a nice stitch. Mine still has the original plug and it is a little scary, but I unplug it when not in use. DH says it is OK, but it still makes me nervous. LOL That 201 and my 301 are my "go to" machines, right now, but I don't have anyplace to set up a treadle right now, will take care of that soon, though. I'm thinking the kitchen. Get rid of the desk and table, all they do is collect junk anyway, we eat at the counter usually. We are empty nesters and are more apt to go to the kids houses than have them come to ours, as it is so small. Soon it won't look like a house, it will look like a sewing shop. What wrong with that, you ask. Nothing!