Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-16-2012, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
Monica,
I can't FMQ with the 201, all I get are lots of skipped stitches and bad language. The Singer 15 and 237 no problems at all, they both do it without skipped stitches; no sewing machine language required. lol
Sharon W.
I got that also from my 201. Cathy adjusted the bobbin area just a bit the other night to improve that situation. The FMQ on the 201 still isn't as pretty as the 15.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:13 PM

Joe, you want to keep whatever shelving you have for holding your sewing machines that aren't in use. TV and lazyboy can go, although I'd keep the tv...love watching tv while sewing. Shelves are good to keep!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:51 PM

Joe, That machine that you asked about (white looking, which is silver) is the Singer 328k that I modified for treadle use.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Joe, That machine that you asked about (white looking, which is silver) is the Singer 328k that I modified for treadle use.
Joe, there is one for sale in Bloomington, IN on CL...
Old 03-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

Cheap Featherweight.
Well, I found a $25 FW WHEE! I never find cheap machines in good shape - usually some issue.
It looked like something the dog dragged in when I brought it home.
Today I took a closer look. First I thought I'd clean it up. I washed off the grime - and maybe the lacquer as well - it must have been the powder stuff all over the place. There is no finish on that machine. The decals look good. For the most part the paint looks good - not many nicks or scratches. There is no rust. It turns. The motor is missing mount screws. The belt fell apart with the teeth stuck to the balance wheel. The bobbin case is gone. The bobbin tire is rotted. I think this one was in a shed for a very long time - probably some heat. The foot pedal is cracked but has newer wires. So what do I do with it now? I think it would sew. In some ways it is better condition than my mom's.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:45 PM

A 338. OK. Sure is a nice collection of treadle machines.

Joe
Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 PM

Ooooh. Command Center. I like that!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by treadlep View Post
I have a 1941 singer 99 that I cleaned up last summer....having trouble getting the needle action to disengage after releasing the knob on the handwheel when I want to wind a bobbin. I've flipped over the appropriate washer, all is clean inside, etc....
The belt may be just a bit too snug. Machines that turn with very little resistance in the mechanisms, especially recently cleaned and lubricated ones, tend to “free-wheel” when the clutch knob is released for bobbin winding simply from the belt tension applying a little extra side pull on the hand wheel.

If you have a good V-Belt on it, try loosening it off just a touch. If you have a rubber stretch belt on it, get a V-belt for it.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 03-17-2012, 05:41 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]320473[/ATTACH]Monica, I know you modified that 328 so it would work in a treadle - and I thought that was amazing back when you did it, but now that I 'know' a little more about the machines, I ask why would anyone want to get a machine to treadle that they have to modify when there are several that can be just dropped in a treadle without any modification? I guess, if you already own a machine you just want to treadle - but, I have a thing about modifying the machines? Joe, you can get a 319, 306, 206 that just drop in a treadle with no modifications at all! All you have to do is remove the motor, put the machine in any Singer treadle, hook up the belt and go! The 319 has about 30 cams for decorative stitching and it has 5 (I think, I will have to look) built in stitches for satin and zig zag. You can also combine those built in stitches with the cams to make your own versions of decorative stitches. So, I ask why anyone would want to get a machine that had to be modified? I guess, I could understand it if the machine was just one you absolutely loved, or I think Monica got that 328 for free, but still if you want to treadle a more 'modern' type machine get one that doesn't need modifications.

Nancy

By the way, after my grandson did his number on my 319w, and I spent two days trying to fix it - I made two pillow shams last night for his (grandson's) bed to match the Dinosaur Train quilt I made him last summer! Not one skipped stitch! I am so proud of myself for fixing that machine! She just purrs away while I treadle her!
Attached Thumbnails 319-cabinet.jpg  

Last edited by BoJangles; 03-17-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:16 AM

Nancy,

I suggested to my wife that we convert 'her' 319K to a treadle machine and she gave me on of those looks.

Unless a person lives where there is no electricity I don't see any advantage to converting such machines to run on treadles. I've got 4 original treadles now and they do fine. And I've got an empty treadle cabinet and base that's looking for a resident. So one never can tell what I just might stick in there. My only desire is to have a good solid treadle machine that has a reverse. I just might put my 66-18 in a treadle cabinet, but so far it lives in a bent wood case.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 03-17-2012 at 06:24 AM.