Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-14-2011, 04:03 PM

I love anything miniature, so it only figures that when i saw this i went for it. I also thought i could practice cleaning a "sewing machine", so that i would feel confident before i tackle my 66-1 Red eye. Does anyone know are there replacement parts for them? Thank you, Anamaria
Charlee, have fun on the coast, junkin'. Keep an eye out for those little toy sewing machines they are so cute:)

4x5x2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241876[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-241870.jpe  
Old 08-14-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare
I love anything miniature, so it only figures that when i saw this i went for it. I also thought i could practice cleaning a "sewing machine", so that i would feel confident before i tackle my 66-1 Red eye. Does anyone know are there replacement parts for them? Thank you, Anamaria
Charlee, have fun on the coast, junkin'. Keep an eye out for those little toy sewing machines they are so cute:)
What a darling machine. Kathie
Old 08-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi all, I'm vintage , too!:) Anyway the Singer 401 saga continues...Miriam, you were correct, it took patience, and some spray bottle isopropyl alcohol..works wonders but avoid getting it on painted surfaces and the motor.. So now it sews, but the needle is stuck in the far left position. Does anyone know about this machine and possible causes and cures for a stuck left needle bar? Can't do zig zag or any decorative stitches. Or, do I need to take her to the repair man? Problem is, my sewing machine shop locally and the only OSMG I trust closed this month, due to the lack of business due to the economy...I'm so sad about that. Thoughts anyone on the stuck needlebar?
Thanks!!!
The best cure would be to take out the needle bar and the race that has a screw in it and soak it in the alcohol, clean out the hole the race's pin goes in and then put it back together. You would have to time the machine though or it won't sew.

or

The needle bar has a little race with a pin in it - it goes back and forth - side to side - put the machine up on her balance wheel end and then shoot some more alcohol on that little piston while you jiggle it. That area gums up pretty good - that might fix it.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by jpete523
Hi All! I'm going to be the proud owner, later this week, of a Minnesota A in a treadle cabinet. No pictures for now as DD and DGD located this beauty for me and texted me pictures of it. I'm not savvy enough to figure out whether I can access this kind of picture! Anyhoo, I'm wondering whether any of you own a Minnesota (Charlee, maybe?) and might be willing to help me find information on them. So far I've been able to determine it was probably badged for Sears and might have been made by National or Davis. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, I put some lemon bars over on the table with some sun tea, sweetened and unsweetened. Jars are marked for you. Enjoy!
Sorry Anamaria, I don't have a Minnesota... yet! ;)

The Minnesota A s were badged by Davis, Domestic, and White...the Davis and White machines both take a standard 15x1 needle, and I'm guessing that it's the Domestic that takes the 20x1 needle according the the needle list on Ismacs.
Now...I'm NOT positive on the Domestic...that's just what I saw on Needlebar's photo gallery.
Can't wait to see photos of the machine!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:49 PM

I surfing Ebay and found this little gem. OMG What were they thinking???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Kenmore-...item3f0c53a69f

Sharon W.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:49 PM

I want some of the toy machines!! :lol: Trouble is, all of them around here are over $100!! There's one in a local antique mall here that is priced ON SALE at $695!!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend

Sharon W.
Do you get the feeling some people have too much time on their hands????
Old 08-14-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I want some of the toy machines!! :lol: Trouble is, all of them around here are over $100!! There's one in a local antique mall here that is priced ON SALE at $695!!
That is what i see them going for in this area also. This one had a starting bid of 9.99, and i got it for 20.50 there was another bidder, but they stopped at 20. 22 was my limit. And you can see that it is missing the hand wheel and a bar. But, it thought it was cute. It looks like the decals are in good shape.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:50 PM

If anyone is looking for one and is in this area, just saw this Singer monogrammer (slant shank).

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/clo/2525678821.html
Old 08-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend

Sharon W.
Too hideous for words... and that is the EXACT Kenmore that both my parents, and I, learned to sew on... sad.