Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-03-2011, 12:56 PM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=miriam]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by miriam
I've

Yeah, large size quilts and large size ironing. Any ideas how to pad it for ironing?
Nope!
I have a large ironing pad that fits on my table cutting table (I have the same size cutting mat to cover it when cutting) - heat and moisture isn't a problem. My table is the same one in the picture, but you might be able to use or make something like that to top your tables. Cool tables, BTW, I think they are great - my home ec department didn't have anything like that!

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp04705.html
Old 09-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp04705.html[/quote]

How thick is that pad? From what I can see it is pretty thin? I like the idea of a grid. I noticed they recommend removing it when you are done using it.

I think my tables are cool but I think DH HATES them. They are everywhere... Joann had some rayon flame retardant stuff, Teflon and they had quilted Teflon - the quilted Teflon might be the cheapest since it is all together - I just don't know if I would like it to be quilted. I might like it smooth better but I don't know. I have a small piece of Teflon, a shrunk up old wool blanket and some upholstery fabric. I'm thinking I will start with just a pocket to put over that dropped end of the table then test it to see how it does with ironing heat/moisture. I sure don't want the laminate coming off.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:22 PM

How thick is that pad? From what I can see it is pretty thin? I like the idea of a grid. I noticed they recommend removing it when you are done using it.

I think my tables are cool but I think DH HATES them. They are everywhere... Joann had some rayon flame retardant stuff, Teflon and they had quilted Teflon - the quilted Teflon might be the cheapest since it is all together - I just don't know if I would like it to be quilted. I might like it smooth better but I don't know. I have a small piece of Teflon, a shrunk up old wool blanket and some upholstery fabric. I'm thinking I will start with just a pocket to put over that dropped end of the table then test it to see how it does with ironing heat/moisture. I sure don't want the laminate coming off.[/quote]

It's about the thickness of an ironing board cover. You have to remove it if you are going to fold up the table - it doesn't give do it would rip if you put the sides down. I like the grid marks, too. I looked at the quilted stuff at Joann's, but I had images of ironing quilting marks from the pad onto the stuff I was ironing.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deplaylady

I think my tables are cool but I think DH HATES them. They are everywhere... Joann had some rayon flame retardant stuff, Teflon and they had quilted Teflon - the quilted Teflon might be the cheapest since it is all together - I just don't know if I would like it to be quilted. I might like it smooth better but I don't know. I have a small piece of Teflon, a shrunk up old wool blanket and some upholstery fabric. I'm thinking I will start with just a pocket to put over that dropped end of the table then test it to see how it does with ironing heat/moisture. I sure don't want the laminate coming off.

It's about the thickness of an ironing board cover. You have to remove it if you are going to fold up the table - it doesn't give do it would rip if you put the sides down. I like the grid marks, too. I looked at the quilted stuff at Joann's, but I had images of ironing quilting marks from the pad onto the stuff I was ironing.[/quote]

What do you think would adequately pad the laminated table for ironing? Nothing I can buy at Joann will fit it without some work.

We have RAIN!!!! Maybe the drought is over. Maybe it will cool off. It's been somewhere close to 100 out there - we took a day of R&R today.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Want to show you what DH and I got at an auction today. It's an early early Davis Vertical Feed.

That is a gorgeous machine! I really like the cabinet on that one. Interesting how the irons are a little more simple (not a lot of circles and scrolls) and the wood cabinet is more ornate.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:24 PM

Miriam, my son helped me make a large ironing table. Used 1/2" plywood, covered with many layers of thick cotton batting/felt (whatever it was, it was cheap). Wrapped the cotton under the wood and stapled in place, then used safety pins to attach unbleached muslin on top to use as a ironing surface. Have not had any issues with moisture or mold, etc. I use steam on everything.

You could make a layered pad the size you need, attach some string ties to it and tie it to the table to secure it. That way you could remove it when done. Although I like the marine snap idea.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Miriam, my son helped me make a large ironing table. Used 1/2" plywood, covered with many layers of thick cotton batting/felt (whatever it was, it was cheap). Wrapped the cotton under the wood and stapled in place, then used safety pins to attach unbleached muslin on top to use as a ironing surface. Have not had any issues with moisture or mold, etc. I use steam on everything.

You could make a layered pad the size you need, attach some string ties to it and tie it to the table to secure it. That way you could remove it when done. Although I like the marine snap idea.
Sounds like a good idea - you could make it to the size to fit on your tables. The top of my table is a white laminate - never had a problem, but I'm not sure how it compares with your tabless.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dirty1mom

I'm not sure where it would tie. The front has no lip. Might need access to the drawer. The sides have the braces to hold the part that drops. I'm thinking some of that quilted Teflon for the top. Then some upholstery fabric for the bottom and the pocket that would fit around the drop part. Then make it big enough to cover the rest of the table. It could have marine snaps in the front to hold it in place. I'm thinking about a hole for the machine. Then make a plug for the hole for when the machine is down. I hate to shift the quilt around any more than I have to when I have to iron a big one. The other idea is to just make the pocket and cover to slide over just the drop part - it is still good sized. The pad could be used extended or flopped over the top. OOPS that won't work if it has a pocket holding it on will it - it won't fold down. I'm liking the marine snap idea a bunch... just have to figure out where to put them. They can't go on the drop part - both sides get used. They could go under the top part that the machine rests in.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

now I'm posting double... I just have to tell you all what my DGD said. Today is her 7th Birthday. I call her "The Ever Practical Mercy" She is always very practical. Nothing wasted. She called and I sang Happy Birthday to her. We chatted. Then she says she is saving up money. I asked her how much she had so far. She says, "Well, 7 pennies, a dime and a quarter and 3 dollars." So I asked her what she is saving up for. She says, "A house." I asked her how much she needed. She said. "I don't know" Is it a doll house? "NO, grandma, it is a HOUSE!"
Old 09-03-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
now I'm posting double... I just have to tell you all what my DGD said. Today is her 7th Birthday. I call her "The Ever Practical Mercy" She is always very practical. Nothing wasted. She called and I sang Happy Birthday to her. We chatted. Then she says she is saving up money. I asked her how much she had so far. She says, "Well, 7 pennies, a dime and a quarter and 3 dollars." So I asked her what she is saving up for. She says, "A house." I asked her how much she needed. She said. "I don't know" Is it a doll house? "NO, grandma, it is a HOUSE!"
Cute! Tell her to keep saving! I love it when kids think big!