Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-03-2011, 10:59 AM

Want to show you what DH and I got at an auction today. It's an early early Davis Vertical Feed. It has a number ingraved on the machine of 528. Hopefully that's the production number it also has a date on the bobbin plate of 1876. Just under that plate is the production number. The irons have decal work on them in the front and back and the little round "O" has vertical feed printed on it but you can't see it in the pictures. The drawer pulls have Davis written on them. The foot pedal has vertical feed on it also has a wooden pitman. Has anyone on here seen a tension like the one on this? It has an extension that raises up to make a larger table. Wasn't someone on here looking for a picture of a bracket like this one? If they were I hope they can see it ok. Best part about the whole machine is that it works good.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-250980.jpe   attachment-250981.jpe   attachment-250982.jpe   attachment-250983.jpe   attachment-250984.jpe  

attachment-250985.jpe  
Old 09-03-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
You could place a piece of lexan plastic on the top of the table before the pad and it would take the heat + the moisture. It would need to be 1/4" thick and you can get it at a glass shop. They use it for race car windshields so it's pretty tough stuff. I use a piece to put on top of a sewing cabinet when I want to use a portable machine and not scratch the finish of the cabinet. Works great.
Wouldn't the laminate table top be ok with moisture but not heat? What about the quilted Teflon fabric at Joann?
Plexiglass would not work but lexan would. I would just make sure the pad you use to iron with is thick.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

Want to show you what DH and I got at an auction today. It's an early early Davis Vertical Feed. It has a number ingraved on the machine of 528. Hopefully that's the production number it also has a date on the bobbin plate of 1876. Just under that plate is the production number. The irons have decal work on them in the front and back and the little round "O" has vertical feed printed on it but you can't see it in the pictures. The drawer pulls have Davis written on them. The foot pedal has vertical feed on it also has a wooden pitman. Has anyone on here seen a tension like the one on this? It has an extension that raises up to make a larger table. Wasn't someone on here looking for a picture of a bracket like this one? If they were I hope they can see it ok. Best part about the whole machine is that it works good.
OH. WOW. You are going to love that vertical feed. Never seen a tension like that. Pretty cool!!! It probably works about like any other tension though. If you have to take the tension apart to clean it, do it slowly and keep things in order so you can reassemble.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

You could place a piece of lexan plastic on the top of the table before the pad and it would take the heat + the moisture. It would need to be 1/4" thick and you can get it at a glass shop. They use it for race car windshields so it's pretty tough stuff. I use a piece to put on top of a sewing cabinet when I want to use a portable machine and not scratch the finish of the cabinet. Works great.
Wouldn't the laminate table top be ok with moisture but not heat? What about the quilted Teflon fabric at Joann?
Plexiglass would not work but lexan would. I would just make sure the pad you use to iron with is thick.
Couple layers of felted wool blanket covered with Teflon fabric on one side and something not too slick on the other?
How much is lexan 4X4 ft or (2) 2ft X 4ft?
Old 09-03-2011, 11:30 AM

Billy, I will be praying for you!

Problem with my pre-1900 New Home Treadle. It was working just great when we cleaned it up about two months ago. Now when trying to piece with it, it seems to pull to the left. Can't keep an even 1/4 inch seam no matter how I try. The seam seems to get wider and wider. Have to stop and re-adjust. Does anyone have an idea to try? It makes a lovely stitch, just want to make a wider and wider seam.
Thanks for any input you all have!! Love this thread!!

Talked to an older man today who had a garage sale. He hss his wife's older singein a closet with a big box of attachments. He was busy with people but gave me his telephone no. to call next week and make a visit to see it.
Am getting excited about it. Will keep you all posted.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:04 PM

I've been giving something a lot of thought. I have 4 or 5 old Home Ec tables. They are huge. BUT what if I were to make a pad to fit across the whole top so they could be used to iron? They do take up a bunch of space but not as much as a table and an ironing board. A person could iron a large section of quilt with out shifting. A person could iron sitting down. If a person wanted to they could just flip up the end and iron. I would put a sleeve to hold it on the end that flops down. Then put a hang down scissors & pin holder on there. Any ideas how to use it with the machine UP - cut a hole for the machine? But what if you want the machine down - how would you fill the hole and keep the insert from shifting? If you only wanted to use half the table how would the pad stay on? I posted pics of the naked table. I saw a table like this on Ebay for $200 without a top to iron on. Those tables are tough. You could park a mac truck on one. They make good cutting tables too. That back flips over the top to cover the rest of the top, down and out of the way or up to make a big table.

That's a cool table!!! Be great for using when quilting large size quilts.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:10 PM

Billy

So sorry to hear that they are still trying to figure out what is really happening to you. I have a dear friend that has been suffering with lymes disease for so long now, that it just doesn't seem this should happen in this country with all the knowledge and meds. out there. It has become a guessing game to say the least. I will surely keep you and your family in my prayers, and please hang in there, pain is such an awful thing, but remember you have so much to look forward to, cars, machines, quilts and all of the people who love you and are praying for you to be healed.

Take Care

Suzy
Old 09-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I've been giving something a lot of thought. I have 4 or 5 old Home Ec tables. They are huge. BUT what if I were to make a pad to fit across the whole top so they could be used to iron? They do take up a bunch of space but not as much as a table and an ironing board. A person could iron a large section of quilt with out shifting. A person could iron sitting down. If a person wanted to they could just flip up the end and iron. I would put a sleeve to hold it on the end that flops down. Then put a hang down scissors & pin holder on there. Any ideas how to use it with the machine UP - cut a hole for the machine? But what if you want the machine down - how would you fill the hole and keep the insert from shifting? If you only wanted to use half the table how would the pad stay on? I posted pics of the naked table. I saw a table like this on Ebay for $200 without a top to iron on. Those tables are tough. You could park a mac truck on one. They make good cutting tables too. That back flips over the top to cover the rest of the top, down and out of the way or up to make a big table.

That's a cool table!!! Be great for quilting large size quilts.
Yeah, large size quilts and large size ironing. Any ideas how to pad it for ironing?
Old 09-03-2011, 12:34 PM

[quote=miriam][quote=vintagemotif]
I've

Yeah, large size quilts and large size ironing. Any ideas how to pad it for ironing?
Nope!
Old 09-03-2011, 12:34 PM

Trish that's a gorgeous cabinet! Yes, I was looking for a bracket like that for my old Singer VS2.