Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-02-2011, 10:14 PM

The pretty aqua machine is in my car and the cabinet is in the trunk. Another one like the Necchi that the machine plugs into the cabinet and so does the light. I didn't notice it at the store, but later, that the wiring is in bad shape. You would have laughed at the older gentleman at the store. He kept saying, "I can help you with that" when I pulled screwdrivers out of my purse and started taking it apart. Actually, it was a very tight space and he wouldn't have fit, but I was glad he was there to hand it out to. I don't think he knows many old red haired women who carry screwdrivers.

The Redeye seller in NJ hasn't called or answered my email. I have a feeling the sale went quickly for $50.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:25 PM

SO, I need the shuttle and a couple of bobbins for the 126. Is there any board member that might have some for sale? Or where do I need to go to find them? I know they make four styles so how do I know which one to get?

Update: I have found out that Singer did not make a Model 126 (error on dating site). From all I can determine, my Singer is a 127 or 128. The Vibrating Shuttle part No. is 8327. I found one but it was $40 (almost more than i paid for the machine!!). The bobbins are about $1.00 each.

If anyone has one of these floating around in the dark corners of your parts boxes, I would dearly love to purchase it from you. I can't sew on my beauty until I get the Shuttle and bobbins! Waaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2011, 12:15 AM

Finally done with work tonight, relaxing and checking out CL to see if there's anything interesting out there. Nothing in my neck of the woods or south of here, so I start looking north. OKC seems to have some more interesting stuff than DFW, lots of funky retro machines.

Pretty neat retro machine. Like the foot controller: http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/atq/2559586940.html

Trying to figure out the maker, $45 for a treadle is unheard of here, pretty cabinet: http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/atq/2574947950.html

Then I find this. I have no idea about whether the price is fair, but I'd be calling if I had any money right now. I would have no idea what it was except for this board. Thank you Billy for a place where I learn something new every time I visit! (My thoughts are with you too, even though I've only been on the board a short while--hope you have encountered the worst already and are ready to tackle your next project soon). http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/atq/2543791629.html
Old 09-03-2011, 02:43 AM

Billy, I'm praying with everyone else for your returned good health. Stay strong.

I have a question about my 401A. Can anyone tell me where to find the serial number on it? I have searched the machine but can't find it. It does have a cover plate covering the bottom and I'm thinking the number is located on the bottom of the machine under that plate. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by annthreecats
Billy, I'm praying with everyone else for your returned good health. Stay strong.

I have a question about my 401A. Can anyone tell me where to find the serial number on it? I have searched the machine but can't find it. It does have a cover plate covering the bottom and I'm thinking the number is located on the bottom of the machine under that plate. Thanks for any help.
it should be under the lip (on your left in raised letters)

lousy lighting - the number is on the bottom left of the machine on this picture. You probably can's see it but you can feel it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]250785[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-250779.jpe  
Old 09-03-2011, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by annthreecats

it should be under the lip (on your left in raised letters)
Thank you so much. I found it.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
I finally did it.....Sewed on one of my treadle machine, a Singer 191U.

I signed up on the Treadle On group to do the fall TOBE to force myself to finish and use one of my treadle machines. So I am working on a BOM that is a UFO making log cabin blocks as practice first. Boy I am getting used to threading the needle as I often start to sew backwards and break the thread. I'm still fiddling with the tension a bit but not bad. It is like it is not releasing when you raise the pressure foot either.

I have a question though. My machine is on smooth floor and it moves around when I am peddling. What do you guys use to keep it in place or do I need to adjust how I am peddling?

I did learn you cannot use a chair on wheels. Both the chair and the machine were rolling all over.
I had plenty of practice rethreading the needle too! Mostly it would happen when slowing down and hesitating a little...I would forget to turn the hand wheel.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

Hhhhmmmm there is a Singer 401 on CL indy - I bet they really would have to negotiate on that one. :lol:
Old 09-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

I've been giving something a lot of thought. I have 4 or 5 old Home Ec tables. They are huge. BUT what if I were to make a pad to fit across the whole top so they could be used to iron? They do take up a bunch of space but not as much as a table and an ironing board. A person could iron a large section of quilt with out shifting. A person could iron sitting down. If a person wanted to they could just flip up the end and iron. I would put a sleeve to hold it on the end that flops down. Then put a hang down scissors & pin holder on there. Any ideas how to use it with the machine UP - cut a hole for the machine? But what if you want the machine down - how would you fill the hole and keep the insert from shifting? If you only wanted to use half the table how would the pad stay on? I posted pics of the naked table. I saw a table like this on Ebay for $200 without a top to iron on. Those tables are tough. You could park a mac truck on one. They make good cutting tables too. That back flips over the top to cover the rest of the top, down and out of the way or up to make a big table.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-250854.jpe   attachment-250855.jpe  
Old 09-03-2011, 08:10 AM

Miriam, I still might want one of those tables when my son is traveling your way. It is bigger than I had imagined so I need to think about it. Right now my 301 is in a Kenmore cabinet I picked up for $1.

As far as the pad staying on - I found a package of heavy duty Velcro that is one side stick on and one side sew on. A strip of that on both the top and bottom of the slide on pad and it wouldn't be going anywhere.