Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
Originally Posted by miriam
Help, please. I really, really want a metal darning foot for my Singer 301. Where, oh where, can I find one? By metal I mean the part that is closest to the fabric. On my other machines, I have shaved the front part of that circle off so I can see where I am going.

I did locate what the person said was an original for the 301 but with shipping and such it would close to $35. I am I being unreasonable in looking for one???????????? :shock:
I just purchase my daring/FM foot from SewClassic.com...Someone on the site recommended them and said the cheapest one they carry 5.99 was the best she ever used...I figured why not for that price and she was right...Go under Slant Needle on their site and you'll see the one I'm talking abt...
http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Sing...t-SCF60793.htm is this what you are talking about?
Thank you Miriam and HobbyKat. This is what I am actually looking for but for the 301 slant shank.

http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Low-...?categoryId=-1
Did you try Aprils1930...
Yes, I did. Some darning feet have metal until you get to the part that touches the fabric. I may have to go with the plastic. I can still cut out the front so that I have better vision of where I am going. So far, I have gone through 3 pages of a Google search for such a thing as an all metal darning foot for Singer 301. :-D
I wonder why the 401's won't work?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:17 AM

Help, please. I really, really want a metal darning foot for my Singer 301. Where, oh where, can I find one? By metal I mean the part that is closest to the fabric. On my other machines, I have shaved the front part of that circle off so I can see where I am going.

I did locate what the person said was an original for the 301 but with shipping and such it would close to $35. I am I being unreasonable in looking for one???????????? :shock:
I just purchase my daring/FM foot from SewClassic.com...Someone on the site recommended them and said the cheapest one they carry 5.99 was the best she ever used...I figured why not for that price and she was right...Go under Slant Needle on their site and you'll see the one I'm talking abt...
http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Sing...t-SCF60793.htm is this what you are talking about?
Thank you Miriam and HobbyKat. This is what I am actually looking for but for the 301 slant shank.

Yes, I did. Some darning feet have metal until you get to the part that touches the fabric. I may have to go with the plastic. I can still cut out the front so that I have better vision of where I am going. So far, I have gone through 3 pages of a Google search for such a thing as an all metal darning foot for Singer 301. :-D
I once saw the original daring foot on ebay...but wasn't interested at that pt...So you might ck there for the original sometimes you luck out...Also Esty.
But I have to repeat...I too like the metal FM foot better then plastic for my Husq Viking but the cheap one I bought on Sew Classic works great on the 301 and gives a good view the way it's made...It's an open sq with very little plastic that doesn't blocks your view I also think the sllant also makes the difference unlike the newer models...I still suggest to you for the price I see it's now 4.99 to give it a try if you haven't already. I had passed it up several times wanting what you want but glad I tried it...
Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 AM

Did you try Guy Baker at www.sewingmachineparts.net ? If you call him he might be able to help you.
Linda
Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Oh, and Miriam is the Dr sure it in not poison ivy? I'd still bet that is the culprit! My horses eat our poison oak, but if they eat too much they get burned lips! I actually had to go out and pull the stuff up by the roots to get rid of ours. It was everywhere! Luckily some people are not as sensitive to the stuff as others are. I have always heard that poison ivy is much worse than poison oak. I'd get the goats! Once the stuff is gone, you can always replant your yard!

Nancy

Poison Ivy is really bad stuff. When I was 6 my uncle burned a field of the ivy and the smoke got into my lungs. Well I was in the hosptal for two weeks. but now I am not allergic to or sensitve to poison ivy or oak. I can go pull it all day and nothing.
Glenn that is exactly what happened to me. I had breathed it in as a child when my dad burned a bunch of it, had a head that looked more like a balloon, then I got it really bad one more time when Mariah, my mare, decided to dump me in the middle of a poison oak patch. I spent a week in the hospital, after having 8 screws put in my leg do to a fractured femur, covered with poison oak! Now I just go pull the stuff and I might get it if I scratch myself, otherwise I do't get it any more.

Nancy
Old 08-14-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
Been lurking, again. I never seem to know what to say to add to the conversation. .
You are welcome to join in and you do have things to say.

I just hate poison ivy. I keep breaking out in odd places. I don't know if it is from something that the PI touched or what ever. I'm going crazy with this stuff ever since the first week in July.
Miriam, when you go outside do you come in and take your clothes off inside out? The oils get on your clothes or whatever they touch, gloves, shoes, etc., and you can still get it from whatever has the oils on it. Like my daughter got it all up and down her arms from a lead rope I had used when I was cutting the stuff out on the trails with Buckshot and Mariah in tow. They were dragging the leadrope all through the stuff trying to eat it as fast as I was cutting it! Until you get over the stuff, I'd just change everytime I went in the yard. It could also be on any tools you have been using out there!

Nancy
Old 08-14-2011, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Been lurking, again. I never seem to know what to say to add to the conversation. .
You are welcome to join in and you do have things to say.

I just hate poison ivy. I keep breaking out in odd places. I don't know if it is from something that the PI touched or what ever. I'm going crazy with this stuff ever since the first week in July.
Miriam, when you go outside do you come in and take your clothes off inside out? The oils get on your clothes or whatever they touch, gloves, shoes, etc., and you can still get it from whatever has the oils on it. Like my daughter got it all up and down her arms from a lead rope I had used when I was cutting the stuff out on the trails with Buckshot and Mariah in tow. They were dragging the leadrope all through the stuff trying to eat it as fast as I was cutting it! Until you get over the stuff, I'd just change everytime I went in the yard. It could also be on any tools you have been using out there!

Nancy
I can not imagine having all the broken bones on top of this mess. Ouch. I do have a broken toe but that's nothing.

It seems like it could be anything. Pillow? I'm throwing contaminated clothes out at this point. I'm wondering about the seat belt in my car. Sheets? mattress pad? quilt? Fels Natha soap & vinegar rinse followed by the sanitize cycle on the washing machine may do some good.

We no longer have to drive home from there before washing & changing clothes. (see blog below) I broke out again last night - under arms... this is just sssssooooooo gross. The Fels Naptha soap seems to do wonders followed by vinegar rinse. Itching is not optional.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:54 AM

miriam][

The 500's only come with 1-5 and don't need the rest because they are built in.[/quote]

Miriam, my manuel shows 12 additional discs that can be purchased. They are disc 6,7,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,20 and 21. I have a Rockeeter and the manuel is for Model 500.
Could I have a wrong manuel? Kathie
Old 08-14-2011, 08:31 AM

Been lurking, again. I never seem to know what to say to add to the conversation. You all have beautiful machines! I added 3 to my collection last week. DH is tolerating, so far. I now have people calling me, "I hear you collect vintage machines?" Yep!!
You sound a lot like me! :) I'm still new at this, but I love to come here and see what everybody has learn something new. Welcome!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
miriam][

The 500's only come with 1-5 and don't need the rest because they are built in.
Miriam, my manuel shows 12 additional discs that can be purchased. They are disc 6,7,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,20 and 21. I have a Rockeeter and the manuel is for Model 500.
Could I have a wrong manuel? Kathie[/quote]

you can buy them but you don't have to - the same stuff is built in.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:48 AM

Well, had my 1st experience treadling last night. I think the hardest part was attaching my DIY belt. (You'd think it was common sense that pulling the belt off to close it wasn't going to work when you tried to put it back on. Oh well, lesson learned).

Everything seems to work, but the belt is kind of thin and doesn't engage the bobbin winder very well, but at least I am treadling until I get an actual belt! My intention is to make an entire quilt from beginning to end to get the hang of it. So far, so good. :D