Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-15-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by jljack

Hi,
I'm wondering if you have the needle in correctly? The flat side goes in facing to the right and threads from left to right(outside to inside).
Sharon W.
Thanks for that info, Sharon. I'll check that tonite when I get home...I very well may have it in wrong! I know I have it threaded correctly...left to right. I'll let you know!![/quote]

Guess what, Sharon, you were right. I switched the needle around, and Harriet sews!!! YOOHOO!! I am sooooo happy!! Here's the pics of her stitch. This is a 102 year old machine in a 120 year old cabinet. It's all very cool!!! Color me EXCITED!!! :-)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-242481.jpe   attachment-242482.jpe  
Old 08-15-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl

Thanks for the explaination! I had never seen a straight leg treadle before. Now I want one! :lol:
Yes, me too!! I have been looking for one here, but so far no luck. Now I'll have to wait, since I totally "outed" myself with my DH and he knows about ALL my machines!! LOL He actually took it pretty good...he loves me!! And he doesn't like to get mad....but now I have to wait for a while to get any more. I'm sure he guesses more will come....but I don't want to push him!! LOL
I have a Singer straight leg treadle cabinet.

The Singer straight leg cabinet and Singer 201
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242492[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-242486.jpe  
Old 08-15-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by annthreecats
I read that anything over 50 years old is vintage.
I would stand on that definition, too! Antique is 100+ years, vintage is 50-99 years.
This has been my understanding, at least as far as sewing machines go.

Now, as far as I am concerned... sometimes I feel antique just rolling out of bed in the middle of the night! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep, that sounds about right!!! LOL
Old 08-15-2011, 05:45 PM

Guess what, Sharon, you were right. I switched the needle around, and Harriet sews!!!
That's great!! I'm glad you figured it out. I also like that you named her Harriet!! That is my mother's name :-D I love my mother but I can't picture naming a baby, Harriet, although it must have been popular in it's day. It's funny how names come and go.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Guess what, Sharon, you were right. I switched the needle around, and Harriet sews!!!
That's great!! I'm glad you figured it out. I also like that you named her Harriet!! That is my mother's name :-D I love my mother but I can't picture naming a baby, Harriet, although it must have been popular in it's day. It's funny how names come and go.
I'm glad you got that cute Brother turned around in its case. I like the looks of it!! The name just came to me...no specific reason. I don't even know anyone named Harriet...I think the machine told me it's name!! LOL :shock: :lol:
Old 08-15-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend

Thanks for the explaination! I had never seen a straight leg treadle before. Now I want one! :lol:
Yes, me too!!

Very nice straight leg!! I like it a lot! I like the ones that look Mission style the best.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend

Yes, me too!! I have been looking for one here, but so far no luck. Now I'll have to wait, since I totally "outed" myself with my DH and he knows about ALL my machines!! LOL He actually took it pretty good...he loves me!! And he doesn't like to get mad....but now I have to wait for a while to get any more. I'm sure he guesses more will come....but I don't want to push him!! LOL
I have a wooden straight leg treadle, but it is a White.
Tommie
Old 08-15-2011, 06:12 PM

Hi,
I'm wondering if you have the needle in correctly? The flat side goes in facing to the right and threads from left to right(outside to inside).
Sharon W.
Thanks for that info, Sharon. I'll check that tonite when I get home...I very well may have it in wrong! I know I have it threaded correctly...left to right. I'll let you know!!
Guess what, Sharon, you were right. I switched the needle around, and Harriet sews!!! YOOHOO!! I am sooooo happy!! Here's the pics of her stitch. This is a 102 year old machine in a 120 year old cabinet. It's all very cool!!! Color me EXCITED!!! :-)[/quote]

I'm so glad that Harriet is happily sewing now!! I see that she is a Lotus, lovely decals too! I don't know how old the coffin top treadle is that Ruth the 1910 Red eye lives in is. Its got a Singer top and Elgin irons.(aka franken treadle)
Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 PM

I posted my before and after pics of my cabinet restoration here http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-145486-1.htm#3962118 :>
Old 08-15-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
I posted my before and after pics of my cabinet restoration here http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-145486-1.htm#3962118 :>
It turned out wonderful! Do you have more pictures of the process? I would love to see them, if you do.